Not connected, Your IP: 35.153.156.108
methylene

ANSWERED Eddie 2.13.6 prevents Windows 10 shutdown

Hello,

As the title suggests, I'm having issues with Eddie for Win10.  The software works like a charm, I never had any problem with it.  The only issue, if this deserves this name, is that everytime I shut down the computer, I have to manually close Eddie.  When trying to automatically shutdown, the system complains saying that this software is preventing Win10 from shutting down properly.

So, is there any configuration or setting I should modify to shut it down cleanly and automatically when I shut down windows or is just another security measure to prevent leakings?

Thank you

Hello!

You can either look into your power settings, which may or may not work for you or follow the below instructions to edit the Windows Registry:

1. Type regedit in "run" or the Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
  2. Now go to following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
  3. In right-hand pane under Desktop, right-click on an empty white background area and create a new String and call it "AutoEndTasks" without the quotes. After creating it, click it and set its value to 1.
  4. Then close regedit, restart your computer and see if programs shut down as you want. You can also open notepad and type some gibberish into it, if you want to test it.

Please tell me if it works for you . I'm not sure if there's a specific setting you could change for only Eddie, so needless to say, this change will affect all programs trying to stop a shut down.

Please do be aware that editing the Windows registry is risky business if you don't know what you're doing and that by changing a setting like this, you could potentially lose data if you accidentally start a shut down. For these reasons, it's smart to make a backup of your registry before making any changes.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello,

As the title suggests, I'm having issues with Eddie for Win10.  The software works like a charm, I never had any problem with it.  The only issue, if this deserves this name, is that everytime I shut down the computer, I have to manually close Eddie.  When trying to automatically shutdown, the system complains saying that this software is preventing Win10 from shutting down properly.

So, is there any configuration or setting I should modify to shut it down cleanly and automatically when I shut down windows or is just another security measure to prevent leakings?

Thank you

Hello!

Closing Eddie before shutting down the system is any case the best option to make sure that Eddie has enough time to restore the system settings.

That said, you can just un-tick "Exit confirmation prompt" in "AirVPN" > "Preferences" > "General" to let Windows shut down even when you don't close Eddie first.

Kind regards

Hello,

Thank you

Hello!

Closing Eddie before shutting down the system is any case the best option to make sure that Eddie has enough time to restore the system settings.

That said, you can just un-tick "Exit confirmation prompt" in "AirVPN" > "Preferences" > "General" to let Windows shut down even when you don't close Eddie first.

Kind regards

Ok, so that was the setting.  I tried that and now shuts down "cleanly", although I don't think Eddie has enough time to restore settings.  Anyway I always have the client connected.

Thank you!

What about for macOS? I just went into these preferences and can't locate the specified checkbox...