It's nice to be nice to nice people

• Moderators
  • 1840 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:03 AM

ipb_header.png

Hello !

Introduction

Welcome To AirVPN!

This is a guide meant to help new people. Whether you're new to VPNs in general or just new to AirVPN.
I've tried to keep it fairly short, by using bullet points & spoiler tags. This hopefully also makes it more readable and less scary.
I think AirVPN is a FANTASTIC VPN and while I don't own or have any stake in AirVPN myself, I'm a huge supporter of it.
However, it can be quite scary and confusing to use when you first get started, so hopefully my little guide willl help you!

This guide also includes links to resources provided by Air and other users, but I don't mean to take credit for these things. So please feel free to scroll to the bottom of this guide! 

​Index:

• ​Introduction
  • ​First Questions
  • ​Getting Started With AirVPN
  • ​After Downloading The Eddie Client   [Includes Troubleshooting tips]
  • ​AirVPN Guides Section   [Look here to find guides about: Security/Torrenting/Port-forwarding/Plex/etc.]
  • ​Other Noteworthy resources
  • ​Credits

- Why I made this guide:​

Spoiler

Feel free to leave feedback on this guide, both good and bad, if you want to, because I'll happily read it ! :yes:

First Questions

- Do I have to be really technical to use this VPN stuff?

Spoiler

- Will I become totally anonymous or completely secure?
Spoiler

- VPNs A & B have features X & Y, how does AirVPN compare?
Spoiler

- If I use AirVPN, will I be able to use service XYZ with it?
Spoiler

- What does AirVPN do to make it safe to use and does it log or track people? 

Spoiler

- When will AirVPN add country or server XYZ?

Spoiler

- AirVPN now allows 5 connections per account instead of 3, but is it possible to buy more connections?
Spoiler

- Who runs AirVPN & moderates the forums?

Spoiler

- What are some of the "Status" page functions for & how do I use AirVPNs "Micro-routing" feature?

Spoiler

- Is it free and if not, why should I pay for it?

Spoiler

- Since AirVPN isn't free, is it possible to buy a Lifetime subscription, as with other VPNs? Does AirVPN hold sales at all?

Spoiler

Getting Started With AirVPN

If you run into a problem with Airs software for some reason, then please make sure to check if there's an experimental version of the Eddie client you can download. Experimental versions aren't always available.

- How do I start using AirVPN?

Spoiler

- How and where do I manage my AirVPN settings?
Spoiler

- What if I need help during the process?

Spoiler

- What are logs, where are they and how do I use spoiler tags?

Spoiler

- Is there anything in my AirVPN account I should change?

Spoiler

- Is there an Experimental or Beta version of the AirVPN Eddie Client I can try? If so, where is it and why would I want to try it? 

Spoiler

After Downloading The Eddie Client

Please remember to share your Eddie logs and use spoiler tags, when you need help from the community. How to do so, is answered in the previous section, thank you!

- What's "Network Lock" & should I use it?

Spoiler

- How can I test that AirVPN is hiding my IP and DNS addresses correctly?
Spoiler

- Eddie can't connect or is very slow, what can I do?
Spoiler

- Which other steps can I take to increase my privacy and security?
Spoiler

AirVPN Guides Section

Other Noteworthy Resources

Credits

Thank you to:​

Spoiler

I hope the guide was of use! If you find any inaccuracies, feel free to tell me. I worked hours on this tiny guide, so I want it to be perfect haha.
I hope your experience with AirVPN will be a good one! Mine certainly has been. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you for reading :]

P.S. I consider myself pretty savvy, but I remember being confused when I got here. So I can only imagine how it is for less savvy individuals.
P.P.S. I know it lacks images, but images do evil things to my spoilers, lol.

Edited by LZ1, 27 April 2018 - 09:45 AM.

Hi there, are you new to AirVPN? Many of your questions are already answered in this guide. Its Guides Section has guides on Linux/Torrenting/Blocked sites & many other topics too.
Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please read the First Questions section in the link above for more details, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

#2 mehāniskākaravīrs935

mehāniskākaravīrs935

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationUranus

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for putting this guide together, I certainly hope that it gives new users a running start to the service :)

PS: I would add something regarding the fact that server geolocation, particularly with Google is almost never accurate due to the nature of VPN's and Googles shitty IP database system (as well as some errors with maxmind and other services aka server vendor country instead of physical location etc.)

#3 EdensSpire

EdensSpire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:24 AM

Useful guide, I'm sure it'll come in quite handy for new users  :ok:

#4 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:44 AM

FAQ'd. Should be stickied somewhere.

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs is the proper way to heaven.
Same issues are rare! Search for solutions and if not successful open your own threads.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

#5 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1840 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

Thanks guys.

@giganerd It's an honor! :D

@mehāniskākaravīrs935  Maybe that's a little too advanced, hahaha. But thanks for adding it.

@EdenSpire I hope so! I'll probably be updating it as I go along, to add more details. I hope it'll help make it easier for new people.

Hi there, are you new to AirVPN? Many of your questions are already answered in this guide. Its Guides Section has guides on Linux/Torrenting/Blocked sites & many other topics too.
Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please read the First Questions section in the link above for more details, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

#6 Revelead

Revelead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:30 PM

Should really be stickied :) Thanks for the guide! That will definetly help newbs haha.

#7 PinoPrince

PinoPrince

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

Super guide to start with VPN. When i choose the connection mode TOR how can I test if it is connected ?? Where do I find the Test button?

...AirVPN client needs access to Tor Control to works properly. To check if it already works, use the Test button in Preferences > Mode...

Thanks, PinoPrince

#8 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1840 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:25 PM

Super guide to start with VPN. When i choose the connection mode TOR how can I test if it is connected ?? Where do I find the Test button?

...AirVPN client needs access to Tor Control to works properly. To check if it already works, use the Test button in Preferences > Mode...

Hello !

Thanks, PinoPrince

Welcome to AirVPN. Thank you for the compliment :]

That confused me too. But if you download the Tor browser bundle, go to the Eddie settings and click "tor", you're fine.

At the end there's a Test button. I've attached an image. Oh and Tor has its own testing service:

https://check.torproject.org/?lang=en_US

Then you can check if an AirVPN server IP shows up or not.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tortest.PNG

#9 CultureVulture

CultureVulture

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

LZ1 - sensational work. I wish I'd had this when I first starting looking into VPNs! For some time I've been thinking it would be sooooo useful for so many people to have a guide like this. And now it's here! N00bs will be very grateful, as will the rest of the community, which won't have to be reading the same newbie questions, repeated over and over again. This needs to be stickied for sure.

Hat's off sir.
  • LZ1 likes this

#10 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:37 PM

Awesome work cheers and thanks for mentioning pfsense_fan and his latest 2.3 guide, without his hard work and dedication many of us could not enjoy full speeds on air servers !

Not sure if its my end but these links here:

http://https//airvpn.org/topic/17747-why-we-should-abandon-google-their-services-and-broken-apis/

http://https//airvpn.org/topic/18229-firefox-extensions-how-to-guides/

Did not work, maybe the sites are down or just my end.

#11 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1840 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:28 PM

@ocelot

Thank you very much! :]. That was very much the intention as well. Sorry I couldn't be there for you, lol. I'm honored that it did in fact get stickied!

@refresh

Thank you doubly bro! I fixed it. I appreciate the feedback :]. His guide is indeed very comprehensive too. Can't afford to let these things slide into oblivion.

#12 cantonadan

cantonadan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

Awesome work cheers and thanks for mentioning pfsense_fan and his latest 2.3 guide, without his hard work and dedication many of us could not enjoy full speeds on air servers !

Not sure if its my end but these links here:

http://https//airvpn.org/topic/17747-why-we-should-abandon-google-their-services-and-broken-apis/

http://https//airvpn.org/topic/18229-firefox-extensions-how-to-guides/

Did not work, maybe the sites are down or just my end.

Firefox, https everywhere, u block, nosuite, self destructing cookies, badger, and most importantly WEBRTC.

#13 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

By the way, @LZ1, we discussed browser addons in the past and listed many of them.

About funding browser extensions

Always remember:

Same issues are rare! Search for solutions and if not successful open your own threads.

#14 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1840 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:34 AM

@giganerd

Thank you, I added it. I've already added a ton of links since I first started the thread 2 days ago. Mostly at the later stages of the guide. I'm almost satisfied lol. Almost...There's so many good threads which have relevant and interesting content, which have been left to die. So it's nice to be able to list some of them. It's great that Air funds various other projects. I really like that they run their own Tor nodes.

#15 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

They run relays, and fund nodes. See their mission page.

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

Always remember:

#16 fourpoint7

fourpoint7

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

I mostly just lurk, but wanted to mention that this guide should prove to be a pretty useful index for individuals who are new to the topic of VPNs and their usage generally. Thanks for putting it together.

• LZ1 likes this

#17 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1840 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:25 PM

I mostly just lurk, but wanted to mention that this guide should prove to be a pretty useful index for individuals who are new to the topic of VPNs and their usage generally. Thanks for putting it together.

Well I thank you for breaking the silence to tell me this, as I put a lot of effort into making it. I'm glad the number of edits don't seem to show, as it's criminally high lol. I hope the guide

helps more advanced users too, in terms of finding stuff, since it easily gets lost around here. Anyhow, thanks a lot !!

#18 stef_wilvpn

stef_wilvpn

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hello and thank you for posting this.

As I get more familiar with the options and configurations, I do have one more question in addition to the great summaries above. When using the configure generator and selecting individual servers vice countries, what are the most important stats to look at to determine the how fast the connection would be if a particular server is selected? There is a wealth of data available on each server and not sure I am paying attention to the right things as I try to evaluate what might work best.

Right now I tend to default to those with a higher in/out bits per second average rating in the traffic graph, but have know idea if this really means anything as far as the speed of that connection.

Thank you

#19 after_lunch

after_lunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for posting this guide! As a newbie (7 days), I've been working with the default settings. Following your advice, I've decided to implement the "Connect at Startup", "Activate Network Lock at Startup" and "Start with Windows" options, and I've also increased the TCP/UDP send/receive buffer sizes to 256 KB. More importantly, perhaps, I've fixed the leaky connection in Firefox, so my true IP address is now properly hidden, as confirmed by the test page. As you say in your guide, the instructions are very simple to follow! Now I need to check whether my default browser - Internet Explorer - is leaky. (I know... but I grew up with it, and I'm still fond of it.)

#20 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1840 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:47 AM

@stef_wilvpn

Apologies for taking so long. I recommend just picking a category, such as a region of the world and going with that. The Air client will then automatically select the best server at the time (it fluctuates).

It should be said that it's hard, if not impossible perhaps, to give precise numbers for speeds.But in general, you would want to:

Spoiler

I hope this helps. Welcome to AirVPN :)

@after_lunch

Hello ! I'm very pleased to see that! I did hope that it was simple to follow. Also, you could disable IE entirely if you wish, haha. Then just run Windows in a Virtual Machine, for when you miss it haha!

Although you might be interested in knowing there's actually a Firefox extension that apparently makes FF look like IE, haha. Something to consider!

Do feel free to share your experiences later on, as I hope it's smooth sailing for you, here on out. Welcome to AirVPN, enjoy the ride!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Servers online. Online Sessions: 15657 - BW: 61780 Mbit/sYour IP: 54.224.247.42Guest Access.