Photo

Eddie 2.10.3 network lock breaks AirDrop on Mac, causes Airport Extreme confusion

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Riddick

Riddick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

For testing purpose, please install AirVPN client version 2.11.15...

Let us know the outcome!

It worked for me on a Windows 7 64-Bit OS with network lock enabled.

I will, ASAP! That will be great if it works!

But first, a dumb question... how do I find the local network IP/Host? Is this my IPv4 address?

You can find any Macs IP, or your IP address from the Mac System Preferences Network configuration screen:

• From the Apple menu pull down “System Preferences”
  • Click on the “Network” preference pane
  • Your IP address will be visible to the right, as indicated in the screenshot below

ip-address-mac-610x206.jpg

Your IP address is the number listed, in the above case it is 192.168.0.100.

This is how to find the IP address of your Mac through the Terminal, this is often the quickest way for those that are more technically inclined.

• Launch the Terminal located in /Applications/Utilities/
  • Type the following command:

ifconfig |grep inet

• You will see something that looks like this:

inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
inet6 fe80::fa1e:dfff:feea:d544%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255

• Your IP address is usually next to the last entry of ‘inet’ and in this case is 192.168.0.100, an IP address is always in the format of x.x.x.x but it will never be 127.0.0.1 because that is your machines loopback address. Because you can always ignore 127.0.0.1, this guarantees that your IP address will be the other IP between ‘inet’ and ‘netmask’

You're not afraid of the dark web, are you ?

#22 psychlops

psychlops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

I really appreciate your help, but it's not working the way I'm doing it. My computer is connected directly through Ethernet and bypasses the Airport, but my iPad is connected through Airport, so they're both active:

http://www34.zippyshare.com/scaled/k3ffKHY3/file.html

I tried adding the Ethernet IP and it didn't work. Then I tried the Airport IP, and that didn't work. Then I tried both, and still not working. When you say “do the same for outside the tunnel”, I assume that means add another rule, so there are two rules for each:

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 8.53.25 AM.jpghttp://www68.zippyshare.com/thumb/3B1PTbZe/file.html

Am I doing this wrong?

I seem to be having a problem with posting images today.

#23 Riddick

Riddick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

Hi,

Please check your ipad settings: Go to settings > Wifi > and click on the info icon next to the SSID / Wifi networkname.

What do you see next to IP-address, Subnet and Router ?

For example:

IP address: 192.168.1.10

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

When you say “do the same for outside the tunnel”, I assume that means add another rule, so there are two rules for each:

Correct ;)

#24 psychlops

psychlops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

IP address: 10.0.1.5

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Router: 10.0.1.1

And you thought you were going to have a relaxing Sunday!  :rolleyes: 

By the way, is it correct to have both sets of rules, for Ethernet and WiFi, as in the screenshot?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 8.53.25 AM.jpg

#25 Riddick

Riddick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Try the following please: see screenshot below (Don't forget to save and restart your computer/laptop)

2017-04-02_19-18-22.jpg

#26 psychlops

psychlops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:32 PM

No, still not working.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 1.30.26 PM.jpg

#27 Riddick

Riddick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

No, still not working.

Perhaps it's good idea to check your AirDrop settings ?

-Access AirDrop by swiping up from the bottom of the screen to call up Control Center. From here your current AirDrop status will be displayed — you can choose between Off, Contacts Only, and Everyone.

Choose for "Everyone"

-For testing purpose try to disabling your firewall entirely ! Make sure that all incoming connections are not blocked, otherwise AirDrop will not work.

#28 psychlops

psychlops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

It's been set to Everyone, it works with network lock disabled.

Turning off the firewall worked with network lock enabled! Still, I can't do without the firewall, so, like you said, it's for testing purposes. 

I found that turning off the firewall allows AirDrop to connect, and turning the firewall on again once it's connected doesn't break the connection. As long as the iPad is awake, AirDrop will keep working. But as soon as I close the iPad cover the connection is broken. 

I've been trying to post this reply for the last 20 minutes, but I guess this forum is overloaded. Probably because of the US privacy laws. Bad for us here, good for AirVPN  :asd:

(and I had to go back to 2.12.4. I ditched 2.11.5 a while ago because it kept dropping my connection, and the same thing has been happening during this test. 2.12.4 seems to work better)

#29 Riddick

Riddick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

Your Mac comes with a built-in firewall, which prevents unwanted connections being made to your computer by blocking virtual ports. This can also have a detrimental effect on file transfers, particularly AirDrop.

Did you add Airdrop as an exception for incoming/outgoing connection ?

Make sure that "Block all incoming connections" is not checked !

Please note, there are many users that are having trouble with Airdrop, even the ones not using VPN/network lock/kill switch.

I'm afraid until Apple improves AirDrop, you might be tempted to simply not use it. Just my 2 cents.

A very good and rather stable alternative for Airdrop is VLC for IOS

See video tutorial please : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxDFeVqmTI

Wish you all the best buddy and good luck.

#30 psychlops

psychlops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

Block all incoming connections is not checked. I added Eddie as an exception, but Airdrop isn't an app, so is it even possible to add it? I should also mention that I'm using Little Snitch, but I'm allowing Eddie and Airport all connections, so theoretically it's allowed both incoming and outgoing. If I disable Network Lock or the firewall, it works reliably for me. I haven't had any trouble, except when I enable both.

I really appreciate all the time you've spent on your replies! Even if it's a problem on Apple's end, disabling the firewall long enough to connect, then enabling it again is a better option than disconnecting Eddie / Network lock. It may be a clunky workaround, but it's still a workaround.

If you can suggest a way to add Airdrop as an exception to the firewall, I'll try that. In any case, thanks again and I just bought you and your family a virtual meal at the restaurant of your choice.  :D

#31 Riddick

Riddick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

Hi psychlops,

You might want to have a look here : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6738364?start=0&tstart=0

I meant Airserver, sorry my bad :D

2017-04-04_20-45-22.jpg

#32 psychlops

psychlops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

Good link. My desktop and iPad are compliant with all the specs and everything is "on" and allowed. I followed the links from that page and read the troubleshooting tutorials, but still no help.

What is Airserver, though? I don't have that on my Mac. The closest I have is Airport Utility, and that's allowed.

#33 oskol

oskol

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

Hi 

I have the same issue running Eddie 2.12.4 on Mac OS Sierra 12.10.4,  Firewall Off. using Eddie Network Lock setting:

Mode: Automatic/ OS X - PF

Allow lan/ private

Allow ping

Still AirDrop does not work, deactivating Network Lock allows Discovery and ables to use the AirDrop.

I don't know what to do. Thanks!