Not connected, Your IP: 3.90.205.166

Hi,

I have been happily using AirVPN with the same config for a few years. But today, I just realized that my real IP has probably been exposed for a few days. I restarted openvpn and everything is now back to normal, but I would like to avoid that in the future, and I would appreciate any relevant advice.

I use an up to date Debian 9, and openvpn from the official packages. I created the config with the AirVPN configurator, and I added these lines, in order to automatically restart a stalled connection, and to have stats :

ping 10
ping-restart 60
remap-usr1 SIGHUP
status openvpn-status.log

What follows are excerpts from the syslog. It started like this:

[Altarf] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting
/sbin/ip route del 62.102.xxx.xxx/32
/sbin/ip route del 0.0.0.0/1
/sbin/ip route del 128.0.0.0/1
Closing TUN/TAP interface
/sbin/ip addr del dev tun0 10.4.xxx.xxx/16
SIGHUP[soft,ping-restart] received, process restarting

Inactivity timeout is always working well. But not this time:

RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: europe.vpn.airdns.org:443 (Temporary failure in name resolution)

The resolving problems lasts for half an hour. After that, inactivity was still detected, restarting every minute :

[uNDEF] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting

After one hour hour after, I see this message :

[server] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]213.152.xxx.xxx:443
SENT CONTROL [server]: 'PUSH_REQUEST' (status=1)
AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED
SIGTERM received, sending exit notification to peer
SENT CONTROL [server]: 'PUSH_REQUEST' (status=1)
SIGTERM[soft,exit-with-notification] received, process exiting

From now on, openvpn did not retry to connect, and my reaI IP is exposed. It was 4 days ago. How can I avoid such a behavior, so that my real IP is hidden, even if something like this happens again?

Hello!

It goes without saying but the easiest way is using Airs software, Eddie, with Network Lock on.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thanks!

I just thought, what if I simply remove the default route? Would that be a good idea? In that case, do I have to add manually a route to AirVPN, in case the tunnel fails?

@airvpn88

Hello,

you might consider to run Eddie with Network Lock enabled. In this way you will prevent any possible traffic leak outside the tunnel and Eddie will also re-connect automatically when the connection is lost. If you don't have a graphical environment in your Debian system, Eddie can also run in "command line" mode.

Kind regards

Thank you for your answer.

I like to have a maximal control and understanding of my systems, so I would prefer not to use Eddie and write my own kill switch. Right now, I think I'm going for something like this :

A process or a service watches the output of "ip monitor route", and if I catch "Deleted 0.0.0.0/1 via 10.4.0.1 dev tun0" then I stop/kill some sensitive services/processes.

Do you think there is a better or a cleaner way to do this?

Thank you for your answer.

I like to have a maximal control and understanding of my systems, so I would prefer not to use Eddie and write my own kill switch. Right now, I think I'm going for something like this :

A process or a service watches the output of "ip monitor route", and if I catch "Deleted 0.0.0.0/1 via 10.4.0.1 dev tun0" then I stop/kill some sensitive services/processes.

Do you think there is a better or a cleaner way to do this?

If it were me I'd download Eddie and see what iptables it puts in place with the network lock.  Then I'd imitate that.  If I wasn't going to use Eddie, that is.

If I'm not mistaken, you can see some or all the rules here already.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I just implemented my idea with as a systemd service, it seems to work.

Anyway, thanks for your advices and ideas!

What did you do exactly? Maybe it can help others

This is the watchdog script, that stops a sensitive service if the route to the VPN is deleted (/usr/local/sbin/kill-switch.sh) :

#!/bin/bash
(ip monitor route) | while read line; do
    if [ "${line}" == 'Deleted 0.0.0.0/1 via 10.4.0.1 dev tun0' ]; then
        msg='VPN route lost.\n'
        systemctl is-active sensitive.service
        if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
            systemctl stop sensitive.service
            msg="${msg}Kill-switch stopped sensitive service.\n"
        fi
        printf "${msg}" | mail -s "Kill-switch" root
    fi
done