Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.107.96
Staff

New 1 Gbit/s server available (AU)

Hello!

We're sorry, we are withdrawing the server. It is unavoidable because the datacenter can't sustain flood attacks, not even moderate ones. We're sorry about this but we could not know it in advance, because the provider assured us that they know very well VPN business and activities. Since moderate flood attacks are very common in "not so small" VPN service, we were convinced that a few Gbit/s for a few minutes could not bring down an entire portion of the dc (and this also tells us that they might have been not completely honest about their bandwidth capacity...).

Kind regards

AirVPN Staff

Hello!

We're sorry, we are withdrawing the server. It is unavoidable because the datacenter can't sustain flood attacks, not even moderate ones. We're sorry about this but we could not know it in advance, because the provider assured us that they know very well VPN business and activities. Since moderate flood attacks are very common in "not so small" VPN service, we were convinced that a few Gbit/s for a few minutes could not bring down an entire portion of the dc (and this also tells us that they might have been not completely honest about their bandwidth capacity...).

Kind regards

AirVPN Staff

Crux, the first and the last Australian server.

Rest in peace, Crux. 

You will always be remembered. 

Hello!

Kind regards

AirVPN Staff

Ahh well, that's the Crux of the problem, isn't it Staff?

No worries. But thank you for being so honest and straight up with us about the problem. Fast too. It was probably hard to write that announcement. But to me it just re-affirms that you're committed to finding the best solutions and that's more valuable than any single server.

Respect !

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I am not an "industry insider" but some reading of forums etc indicate problems with interconnect between the major backbone wholesalers, worst at evening peak with streaming traffic, perhaps called "peering". Affects CDN and large server effectiveness as throughput/reliability varies between ISPs. A kind of failure of "net neutrality". I have seen complaints of Telstra Wholesale just discarding packets rather than any flow control if any traffic peaks beyond the purchased nominal bandwidth, which forces TCP recovery.

So the Crux problems may or may not be just within the chosen datacentre, or even their Internet access provider. But this  would cause any Air server in Australia to vary in performance for users depending on which ISP they were using.

Please, any better knowledge in Orstaya correct me if wrong.

Singapore looks best fallback. My ISP had taken up routing to HK using NTT cable, and so via Sydney-Japan-HK, then back to Sydney-HK cable, but at present a traceroute from Phecda HK to my ISP shows:

"

Tracing route to xxx
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   346 ms   390 ms   360 ms  10.50.0.1
  2   339 ms   361 ms   356 ms  103-16-26-2.hkserverworks.com [103.16.26.2]
  3   394 ms   347 ms   368 ms  v210.core1.hkg1.he.net [27.50.33.25]
  4   650 ms   510 ms   516 ms  100ge8-2.core1.lax2.he.net [184.105.64.125]
  5   520 ms   519 ms   513 ms  100ge8-2.core1.pao1.he.net [184.105.81.237]
  6   513 ms   519 ms   513 ms  10ge4-1.core1.sjc1.he.net [72.52.92.114]
  7   506 ms   529 ms   519 ms  vocus.gigabitethernet2-13.core1.sjc1.he.net [64.71.184.46]
  8   676 ms   679 ms   679 ms  bundle-153.cor02.sjc01.ca.vocus.net [49.255.255.24]
  9   668 ms   674 ms   676 ms  ten-0-5-0-0.cor01.syd04.nsw.VOCUS.net.au [114.31.199.37]
 10   693 ms   684 ms   674 ms  ten-0-1-0-0.cor01.bne03.qld.VOCUS.net.au [114.31.194.166]
 11   694 ms   674 ms   681 ms  ten-1-2-0.bdr01.bne05.qld.vocus.net.au [114.31.194.99]

..."

so my ISP is using a provider routing traffic HK-Los Angeles-San Jose-Sydney and the Eddie ping times are similar to Alcor Ukraine !

So the efficiency of using HK from Australia seems to vary with the "deal of the month" on undersea cable cost, and maybe by time of day.

So thats it from "Down Under". Australia used to be attached to Antarctica, but is slowly moving north toward the rest of the world.

I was actually quite surprised to see an Australian server, I have always only heard that we get ripped off on the data end so its never economical enough to put a server here.  It was great whilst it lasted.

And yeah Telstra is just a rip off all round IMHO.

Hello!

Kind regards

AirVPN Staff

Will you be purchasing another server from a different provider (with adequate ddos protection)? I have been wanting an AU server for so long! It would be great if you could.

I was actually quite surprised to see an Australian server, I have always only heard that we get ripped off on the data end so its never economical enough to put a server here.  It was great whilst it lasted.

Yeah, while it lasted. Two days Must have been the shortest active periode of all AirVPN servers ever introduced!

Something strange is going, I'm having 8-9 Mb/s at downloading, especially, on one of sweden's servers, and I think that is on all sweden's servers. While at uploading speed very low, usually not greater 3-4 Mb/s.

Isn't especially 'optimized' algorithm by both of AirVPN and hosters to, say, control and keep bittorrenting uploaders in 'reasonable' ways?

I'm watching this for a long time for sure.

Yeah, while it lasted. Two days Must have been the shortest active periode of all AirVPN servers ever introduced!

Air's South Korean server(s) lasted only a few days IIRC.

Not sure how useful this would be, but perhaps instead of AU, Air could consider putting a server up in Hawai`i.  They have datacenters I think.

Not sure how useful this would be, but perhaps instead of AU, Air could consider putting a server up in Hawai`i.  They have datacenters I think.

This has already been previously answered. There are indeed datacenters in Hawaii, however they are routed through the US west coast, making them ineffective for South East Asia. Users in regions such as China and Australia would actually have an easier time using a server in Los Angeles rather than Honolulu. 

This has already been previously answered. There are indeed datacenters in Hawaii, however they are routed through the US west coast, making them ineffective for South East Asia. Users in regions such as China and Australia would actually have an easier time using a server in Los Angeles rather than Honolulu. 

Hi there.

Just my experience.

The West Coast US servers as fastest from me when I am in Oz. The Canadian West coast servers drop out, as does Singapore. Netherlands and UK are always stable too. Other EU countries are good, but slow.

And yes, the internet in Australia is total rubbish. Thank you, Mad Monk and big business. It's an easy fix - and an election fix, if one or other party had imagination; but like sustainable energy policy, it won't happen.

Just as we like our Prime Ministers — not secure and short-lived.

Now we have a prime minister who can pretend he is PM because no one else can pretend at the moment, because the whole federal government has to pretend it is legally a government due to cabinet ministers and representatives being probably not legally elected.

'High Court Chief Justice Susan Kiefel said during the hearing the court accepted the cases had "a high degree of importance" and were matters of urgency – but there was "urgency and urgency".'

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/citizenship-saga-will-not-be-resolved-until-at-least-october-high-court-hears-20170824-gy31ds.html

Pass the bong.

This is likely not the place but the increasing attacks on privacy and liberty in Australia, in the name of .... security and liberty ... are becoming very worrisome. Thank you Airvpn.

Love it: the post was on 26 January - Australia Day - Australia's national day (much contested by Australia's indigenous peoples).

If things keep going the way they are in Oz, none of us will be permitted to even use a VPN - so the need for an Airvpn server will be moot!

Now we have a prime minister who can pretend he is PM because no one else can pretend at the moment, because the whole federal government has to pretend it is legally a government due to cabinet ministers and representatives being probably not legally elected.

'High Court Chief Justice Susan Kiefel said during the hearing the court accepted the cases had "a high degree of importance" and were matters of urgency – but there was "urgency and urgency".'

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/citizenship-saga-will-not-be-resolved-until-at-least-october-high-court-hears-20170824-gy31ds.html

Pass the bong.

This must rank with the former Australian minister (Kep Enderby) who observed sagely that "Traditionally, all imported goods to Australia came from abroad" - or words to that effect.

For other readers, unfamiliar with the word "bong", it refers to a water pipe used to smoke cannabis or derivatives.