Not connected, Your IP: 3.23.101.60
Staff

Road to OpenVPN 2.6 and DCO

On 7/7/2023 at 4:18 AM, Flx said:
@StaffAny update(s) on this Road to 2.6?

Hello!
If you read https://airvpn.org/road_to_openvpn26/ you will notice that the beta testing phase will end when DCO is stable. Current reported status is:
** NOTE **
ovpn-dco is currently under heavy development, therefore neither its userspace API
nor the code itself is considered stable and may change radically over time.
Under the condition of code 1) not stable and 2) subjected to radical changes it is not possible to consider the beta testing phase over.

Kind regards

In the config generator I didn't know the OpenVPN2.6 with DCO, so i chose OpenVPN2.6 instead and it works. At this moment i don't configure anything yet with DCO.

This reminds me about Linus Torvalds and Andrew Tanenbaum having their first discussion about a Message Passing Kernel like Minux from Andrew vs the Monolytic Kernel that Linux wanted.

It is about performance. Hence why e.g. when Data Structures from Kernel Space do not have to be copied to User Space or back like in a Message Passing based kernel performance has it limits very fast, even with powerful CPU's, it is the Memory Latency that is a lightspeed bound limit in e.g. 15 inch a signal can reach at 3 GigaHerz.

Apple did something clever with the M1 SOC System On Chip, everything as close as possible near eachother.

Although I find Linux Kernel more having an option like Hybrid Kernel like Windows is.

NTFS-3G Fuse is another example of data stucture passing, it is very slow, but it works under Linux to read and write to NTFS.

29 minutes ago, bnrrteterstnjrsj45 said:

Only one server. Still. 

Hello!

DCO code is in highly experimental phase and subject to radical changes. Still.
** NOTE **
ovpn-dco is currently under heavy development, therefore neither its userspace API
nor the code itself is considered stable and may change radically over time.

Kind regards

On 9/30/2023 at 2:59 PM, bnrrteterstnjrsj45 said:

Only one server. Still. 

if your having issues with reaching the limits of regular openvpn or just having issues with openvpn in general then i'd suggest setting up wireguard. 

I myself, probably like you thought that openvpn-DCO was just something that would be just around the corner but it isn't. It could be 1-2 years before we see anything or more. Don't hold out in the hopes of it just timely landing on your lap. 

I'm using wireguard now and the speeds are great, would suggest you try it too

On 4/6/2024 at 5:37 AM, go558a83nk said:

Hello, is Marsic the only server that supports DCO or have more been added to this test?  Thanks.

looks like it from the configuration generator.
I am actually surprised to see almost 50 users connected.    previously it was only maybe 7.  

I went the opnsense route so I doubt I will be able to test this anytime soon again.  my sg3100 is end of life and not getting updates anymore 

from what I recall reading you are a heavy Pfsense user. ccorrect? 

1 hour ago, Air4141841 said:
looks like it from the configuration generator.
I am actually surprised to see almost 50 users connected.    previously it was only maybe 7.  

I went the opnsense route so I doubt I will be able to test this anytime soon again.  my sg3100 is end of life and not getting updates anymore 

from what I recall reading you are a heavy Pfsense user. ccorrect?  

LOL thanks.  I forgot I could use the config generator to narrow down the list.  😳