Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.105.124
Staff

Eddie Desktop 2.23 beta released

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that a new Eddie Air client version has been released: 2.23 beta. It is ready for public beta testing.

How to test our experimental release:

There are important changes in this release, mainly:

• Network Lock will be activated by default. Switch back to old behavior by unchecking Preferences > Network Lock > Ensure in session
  • OpenVPN is linked against OpenSSL 3, that deprecates old SHA1 signed certificates (already upgraded under-the-hood)
  • for Linux systems, every and each systemd-resolved working mode is fully supported: DNS push and settings are properly managed

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS AS A BETA VERSION.
Don't use it for sensitive connections, it's only for those who want to collaborate on the project as beta-testers.

Kind regards & datalove
AirVPN Staff

What happened to Eddie 2.22.2? I can't find it anymore, did it disappear for any critical problem or vulnerability? I can't find any explanation or warning. In the download page the stable version is 2.21.8 but that's unusable for it gets stuck at latency check for the race condition you explained. The "experimental" is 2.23, and in "other versions" 2.22.2 is missing. Are you really keeping as "stable" the terrible, unusable 2.21.8?

Hello,

The new version is unstable for me, many websites don't load anymore or take ages to load (I did try to uninstall/reinstall package and reset config files).
Can you make available the previous 2.22.2 version to download again to allow us to rollback ?

Regards,

4 hours ago, Quallian said:

What happened to Eddie 2.22.2? I can't find it anymore, did it disappear for any critical problem or vulnerability? I can't find any explanation or warning.

Older beta builds are always removed and replaced with the latest. If you really want 2.22.2, and happen to be running Linux, I'd be happy to share my copy of the AppImage. Otherwise, you could try building from the source code.
https://eddie.website/support/build/
https://github.com/AirVPN/Eddie/tree/de5c1ebb91030dc654a4cd3de81bfa8225982400

11 hours ago, Quallian said:

What happened to Eddie 2.22.2? I can't find it anymore, did it disappear for any critical problem or vulnerability? I can't find any explanation or warning. In the download page the stable version is 2.21.8 but that's unusable for it gets stuck at latency check for the race condition you explained. The "experimental" is 2.23, and in "other versions" 2.22.2 is missing. Are you really keeping as "stable" the terrible, unusable 2.21.8?

We introduce some big changes in this version that need a increment of the minor build number.

8 hours ago, neoragez said:

Hello,

The new version is unstable for me, many websites don't load anymore or take ages to load (I did try to uninstall/reinstall package and reset config files).
Can you make available the previous 2.22.2 version to download again to allow us to rollback ?

Regards,

Done, click Other Version in download section (near the Switch to EXPERIMENTAL), here you can find the 2.22.2.

But, please, report some information to investigate your issue with 2.23.0, at least what OS and what kind of build (installer, portable etc).

6 hours ago, fishbasketballaries said:

I couldn't help but notice the "internal" build with the new "Universal UI" option and the "ui=ui3" parameter in the download URL... Eddie v3? Is that you? 🤔

Eddie3 (a new modern UI) is under development, but we can't promise a release-date yet.

50 minutes ago, NEDepac said:

The Internet doesn't seem to work after upgrading to the new version. It connects normally but has no internet. 

Please report what OS you use.
Please try to uncheck the new "Preferences > Network Lock > Ensure in session" and report is resolve your issue.

Thanks

Please report what OS you use.
Please try to uncheck the new "Preferences > Network Lock > Ensure in session" and report is resolve your issue.
I am using Windows 11 latest build and yes, if i ensure that the network lock is disabled, I can connect normally.

I'm having a similar issue here. Some sites are reachable, others are not.
Some of the sites that are unreachable include:
https://youtube.com
https://github.com
https://www.bitcoin.com
Pinging the IP(v4) addresses of those sites results in no response. The issue occurs with both WireGuard and OpenVPN (DCO untested). I'm on Manjaro Linux running with the AppImage.

Eddie System Report 20230627.txt

3 hours ago, Clodo said:

We introduce some big changes in this version that need a increment of the minor build number.

Done, click Other Version in download section (near the Switch to EXPERIMENTAL), here you can find the 2.22.2.

Thanks, now I can see Eddie 2.22.2 again. Label says "Previous experimental", why? Does it have some critical problem, should I stop using it? Tested for almost a year and still not stable, so please let me know if it's risky to use it. If it is, why 2.22.2 stable is not available after so much time? Instead AirVPN comes with yet another experimental version, please explain. 2.21.8 is a no go for me, too bugged.

6 minutes ago, Quallian said:

Thanks, now I can see Eddie 2.22.2 again. Label says "Previous experimental", why? (...)

Because 2.23.0 is now the "current experimental", hence 2.22.2 becomes the "previous experimental" ...

6 minutes ago, Quallian said:
Instead AirVPN comes with yet another experimental version, please explain.

The reason the new experimental was introudced was because of the future switch to OpenVPN 2.6 & DCO - did you see the announcement? : 

4 minutes ago, spinmaster said:

Because 2.23.0 is now the "current experimental", hence 2.22.2 becomes the "previous experimental" ...

Yes, thank you, of course, I asked something different. When does 2.22.2 become stable? Never? If so why? Does it have flaws so dangerous that you will leave it "experimental" forever without working on it? I ask as 2.21.8 and 2.23 at the moment don't work properly in my systems, but 2.22.2 does. So I prefer to use 2.22.2 but I want to know if it has been abandoned for some serious problem.

2 minutes ago, Quallian said:

Yes, thank you, of course, I asked something different. When does 2.22.2 become stable? Never? If so why? Does it have flaws so dangerous that you will leave it "experimental" forever without working on it? I ask as 2.21.8 and 2.23 at the moment don't work properly in my systems, but 2.22.2 does. So I prefer to use 2.22.2 but I want to know if it has been abandoned for some serious problem.

You are right about the long period that 2.22.2 was in experimental status, IIRC previous Eddie releases had a much shorter timespan between releases. Anyway, 2.22.2 has not been abandoned because of any "dangerous" problems, but simply because Staff wants to focus on testing the current experimental. Did you see the post by @Clodo earlier for those who would like to jump back to 2.22.2? Did you try this?

3 minutes ago, spinmaster said:

You are right about the long period that 2.22.2 was in experimental status, IIRC previous Eddie releases had a much shorter timespan between releases. Anyway, 2.22.2 has not been abandoned because of any "dangerous" problems, but simply because Staff wants to focus on testing the current experimental.

Never heard of such an odd development model. It must be flawed, I can't understand how a version we were invited to test is now left apart after so many months without an explanation.

I read Clodo's message, yes, and I decided I don't want to test 2.23, for the reasons above. Me and many other tested 2.22.2 for many months and we would expect some respect, i.e. someone should be working on 2.22.2 until it is stable. I don't want to be re-routed to yet another test on another version which features new problems and regressions (it doesn't even connect fine), before the current testing is finished and a stable release is out. That would be the normal and plain development of any project in the world and history of software development, not this twisted software release cycle.

However, my version of Eddie 2.22.2 does not say "alpha" or "beta" anywhere, it just says 2.22.2, maybe it was already released as a stable version and some mistake was made in this phase? @Staff can you please clarify the whole matter? If it's stable, I missed it, my apologies!

11 hours ago, fishbasketballaries said:
Older beta builds are always removed and replaced with the latest. If you really want 2.22.2, and happen to be running Linux, I'd be happy to share my copy of the AppImage. Otherwise, you could try building from the source code.
https://eddie.website/support/build/
https://github.com/AirVPN/Eddie/tree/de5c1ebb91030dc654a4cd3de81bfa8225982400

I did manage to rebuild the linux packages with some tinkering on a VM.
Rollbacking the 2.22.2 in my main Linux machine, everything is working as before.

5 hours ago, Clodo said:

But, please, report some information to investigate your issue with 2.23.0, at least what OS and what kind of build (installer, portable etc).

Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, deb package or apt repository.

I get this message constantly - ". 2023.06.27 18:02:03 - OpenVPN > Note: '--allow-compression' is not set to 'no', disabling data channel offload.".

It was works 1h before, on nl servers. Appending to openvpn directives doesn't helping. I checked on speedtest, when it was works - was getting speeds more than 100mbit, I mean.

What's we gotta todo to fix that?

9 hours ago, fishbasketballaries said:

I'm having a similar issue here. Some sites are reachable, others are not.
Some of the sites that are unreachable include:
https://youtube.com
https://github.com
https://www.bitcoin.com
Pinging the IP(v4) addresses of those sites results in no response. The issue occurs with both WireGuard and OpenVPN (DCO untested). I'm on Manjaro Linux running with the AppImage.

Eddie System Report 20230627.txt 9.97 kB · 5 downloads

Issue identified, please wait, we will release a new version as soon as possible. Thanks.

New version 2.23.1 with the hotfix released. My apologies for the issue.

Posted ... (edited)

Hello! Today I learned about OpenVPN's DCO feature for the first time - from this announcement. So, I spent this day testing it.

DCO works great, including but not limited to with TCP over SSL protocol & CHACHA20-POLY1305 data cipher. But only with new Marsic server.
If I try to connect to any legacy server, log says:

OpenVPN > Note: '--allow-compression' is not set to 'no', disabling data channel offload.
And then starts usual software-level tun connection.

Error message is untrue, because I explicitly added "allow-compression no" to OpenVPN directives -> Custom directives in Eddie's settings.
Funny thing: Eddie knows it. When "compress no" is stated as well, there is an error instead telling that "allow-compression no" is already set.

But I see, it is expected behavior according to Road to OpenVPN 2.6 article.

2.23.1 update successfully fixed unresolving websites.

Manual connection with CLI openvpn and stunnel also works. If anyone going to test this, run openvpn only as root: sudo is not enough. Otherwise you may not be able to finish openvpn process even with help of SIGKILL - but only if it was active for some time, perhaps until authorization timeout. Just in case, prepare your magic request key to reboot peacefully.

ArchLinux, AUR "eddie-ui-git" 2.23.1, openvpn 2.6.5, kernel 6.3.9, AUR "openvpn-dco-dkms" 20230426. Edited ... by 9zkHR9tCN7bo

10 hours ago, 9zkHR9tCN7bo said:

Hello! Today I learned about OpenVPN's DCO feature for the first time - from this announcement. So, I spent this day testing it.

DCO works great, including but not limited to with TCP over SSL protocol & CHACHA20-POLY1305 data cipher. But only with new Marsic server.
If I try to connect to any legacy server, log says:

OpenVPN > Note: '--allow-compression' is not set to 'no', disabling data channel offload.
And then starts usual software-level tun connection.

Error message is untrue, because I explicitly added "allow-compression no" to OpenVPN directives -> Custom directives in Eddie's settings.
Funny thing: Eddie knows it. When "compress no" is stated as well, there is an error instead telling that "allow-compression no" is already set.

But I see, it is expected behavior according to Road to OpenVPN 2.6 article.

Yes, unfortunately it's the "comp-lzo no" directive that disable the DCO, and even if removed (add "-comp-lzo" in Preferences > OpenVPN Directives, note the 'minus') the directive are pushed server-side and cause issues.
As explained in the "Road", comp-lzo are not present anymore in 2.6 migrated servers (Marsic).

Thanks for your testing and feedback.

15 hours ago, Clodo said:

Issue identified, please wait, we will release a new version as soon as possible. Thanks.

New version 2.23.1 with the hotfix released. My apologies for the issue. 
Works great now. Thanks for the fix!

macOS 13.4 user here. I can confirm that the 2.23.1 Hotfix release has fixed the issues from 2.23.0 which some users have described in this thread. With 2.23.0 and Network lock enabled, it was pretty much unsuable as a lot of sites didn't open up or were horribly slow. So far I have zero issues with the updated release (with and without NWL enabled). Works great, so far so good - thanks a lot @Clodo

Slightly off topic but why has the stable version lagged behind by almost a year? It is still on version 2.21.8 released on May 26, 2022. Is it still worth using the old one or has there been security version bumps that make Experimental 2.23.1 necessary?