Not connected, Your IP: 3.21.104.109
blueruin39

ANSWERED Auto-launch Eddie on system start-up (Linux Mint)?

How would I go about configuring Eddie to launch when Linux Mint starts, preferably without password prompt as well?

Google and forum search yielded no clear directions.

Hello!

You can go to Eddie>Preferences>Connect at startup.

As for removing the password prompt - which isn't recommended at all - there's a link in the guides section in my signature.

Also, if you only hibernate your PC instead of turning it off completely, then Eddie will simply be able to resume operation in most cases. With no further password prompting .

You've been around a while. So do remember to update your client as well, for any bugfixes. You can even add Eddie to Mints regular system update procedure using the PPAs.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello.

Correct me if I am wrong but

You can go to Eddie>Preferences>Connect at startup.

Makes eddie connect to a server once you run it and not eddie to be run when your system starts-up.

I will answer as if blueruin39 asked for the latter.

I don't use Mint myself but I suppose the debian/ubuntu distributable might work for you.
I will assume you have eddie installed at /usr/bin/eddie-ui. (you can check that running  which eddie-ui).

Maybe not what you are looking for, but one possible solution would be to run the cli version as a system service at startup. The next link helped me set it up:

https://airvpn.org/topic/26171-running-eddie-as-a-service-on-a-raspberry-pi-osmc/?hl=%2Bservice+%2Braspberry

I suggest you run the gui version at least once and you select the option to remember the user and password in your config file. You can also change any other setting as you like.

When running the cli version with this config file you can override any option through the command line arguments and the rest will remain as set in the file.
In recent versions of eddie you should find this file in: /root/.airvpn/default.xml

As opposed to the link, I created the file for the service at /etc/systemd/system/airvpn.service and not in /lib/..

This file should look similar to:

[Unit] 
Description = AirVPN Client (Eddie)
After = network.target
[Service] 
Type = simple
User = root
WorkingDirectory = /root/.airvpn
ExecStart = /usr/bin/eddie-ui -cli -connect -netlock
Restart = always
[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target

You can also add any additional command line argument to eddie e.g., -server <server-name> if you have a preferred server to connect to.

Once all set up you can start the service calling:

sudo systemctl start airvpn

Or enable it, so it will be run at startup from then on:

sudo systemctl enable airvpn

Of course, you can stop the service and run the gui version off eddie any time you want.

sudo systemctl stop airvpn
sudo eddie-ui

And it will run back again on next start-up until you disable the service:

sudo systemctl disable airvpn

P.S. I would appreciate any comment if this setup has any drawback. Thanks.

Hi,
On raspbian lite after typing sudo systemctl start airvpn i've got this error

Invalid unit name "airvpn" was escaped as "airvpn\xef\xbb\xbf\xef\xbb\xbf\xef\xbb\xbf" (maybe you should use systemd-escape?)
Failed to start airvpn\xef\xbb\xbf\xef\xbb\xbf\xef\xbb\xbf.service: Unit airvpn\xef\xbb\xbf\xef\xbb\xbf\xef\xbb\xbf.service not found.

any ideas ? i made an airvpn.service file at /etc/systemd/system

I'm a beginner.

@CRC89

Hello!

Alternatively, you can wait for a real daemon for Linux. We currently do not offer it but the gap will be filled very soon: a daemon based on Hummingbird is in advanced stage of development and we will release a public alpha version with a CLI client to drive it in the very near future.

Kind regards

19 minutes ago, Staff said:
@CRC89

Hello!

Alternatively, you can wait for a real daemon for Linux. We currently do not offer it but the gap will be filled very soon: a daemon based on Hummingbird is in advanced stage of development and we will release a public alpha version with a CLI client to drive it in the very near future.

Kind regards

Thank You very much for reply.

Can't wait for this client then, sounds nice.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:40 AM, Staff said:
@CRC89

Hello!

Kind regards

Hi Staff!

Are there any news or updates about a real deamon for linux?

Asking fo a friend...

As usual, thanks for all your efforts and for Hummingbird!