Not connected, Your IP: 3.140.242.165
bitcoinmix

How to prevent real IP from leaking when AirVPN spontaneously disconnects?

Hi everybody,

recently I was surfing with AirVPN connected. I did not want to leak my real IP therefore I used AirVPN.
Then suddenly I realzied that AirVPN was NOT connected anymore and it was "Connecting..".
I immediately checked http://whatsmyipaddress.org and realized that my real IP address leaked during the last couple minutes :-(

Is there any option in AirVPN or in Firefox / Chrome so that - if AirVPN is for some reason disconnecting - all http-Traffic is stopped?
I think, this would be very essential to prevent IP leaking.

Yes, I know that there is a small notice saying "Disconnected.." or something like that.
But you don't always see such notices if you leave your laptop for a while.

Any help?

Regards, Marco

Hello!

As you might have read in the welcome e-mail, or in the answers to the FAQ, or in the AirVPN quick starting guide, or in the community forum, "Network Lock" option in Eddie (the Air software client) enforces a set of firewall rules which will prevent any traffic leak outside the VPN tunnel, including, but not limited to, leaks caused by unexpected VPN disconnection.

To enable "Network Lock" option please click the big "Activate Network Lock" button in the main Eddie window, before you start a VPN connection. Please make sure that no third-party firewall/packet filtering tool cancels or anyway modifies the rules set by Eddie.

Kind regards

Staff, thank you very much for your reply!

This "Network Lock" sounds exactly like what I need.

Unfortunately it does not work. When I activate network lock then the following happens:

- I cannot access websites through firefox / chrome without an AirVPN connection. That's good.

- I can still access websites through TorBrowser

- Eddie is alternating between "Connecting to ....", "Flusing DNS", "Checking route IPv6", "Disconnecting" and so on

I am using AirVPN Eddie 2.16.3 over Tor (Port 9150) and my AirVPN is installed in a VMWare VM with Windows 7.

Which settings do I need to change or which things should I debug to make "Network Lock" work?

Regards, Marco

Hello!

Please append your Eddie logs, from top to bottom, whenever you need help.

Also, Network Lock is (still, I believe. But there was talk of a potential change down the line sometime) not able to work with Tor, because they're mutually exclusionary.

Network Lock wants to force you to only connect to AirVPNs network, while Tor is directing you to a Tor circuit and so it doesn't work.

So if you disable Tor mode, it should work.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.