Not connected, Your IP: 3.140.198.43
jd890123

ANSWERED [Suggestion] AirVPN IPv6 support

Hey AirVPN team,

It would be nice if AirVPN had IPv6 support.

I have my first domestic internet connection with native IPv6, many websites support and it will only become more in the future and I would like to be able to use AirVPN with it.

Hello!

IPv6 has grave issues regarding privacy and I think it still has many unresolved issues. It would also be nice with 5 devices per account - but privacy and security have to come first before anything else

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Could you go into what issues you believe are present in ipv6?

However even if these issues existed (I do not know about them yet) it wouldnt be a valid reason for airvpn to categorically not support ipv6. It is not like Airvpn would be protecting me by not providing ipv6 tunnels.

There's some Air posts.

Then there's some stuff about IPv6 privacy. It's not that *I personally* believe there's issues with IPv6. It's objectively true, from a privacy standpoint .

How can you say "even if" a series of issues exist, but that you don't know them yet and then go on to state there's no valid reason for turning down IPv6, when, as you said, you don't know the issues?

It's much like with the PPTP protocol: Air is in fact protecting you by not providing it.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

IPv6 support is planned for the end of 2017 but this deadline is flexible given the uncertainty to resolve still unresolved issues which can weaken too deeply the anonymity layer. We will not discuss the details that are anyway public knowledge.

Kind regards

Thanks for the answer staff, the planned date is what I wanted to know mostly.

@LZ1:

Dont worry about the "your opinion" thing, I just used it because I wanted to hear what issues you meant. I didnt mean to weaken your argument.

However the only problem I can see with your links is how your mac address influencing your ipv6 address makes you less anonymous. Googling more seems to show that this can be disabled or circumvented. Your second link contains no concrete information at all as far as I can tell.

My poin that no matter the issues airvpn should provide ipv6 is based on the fact that I already use ipv6 anyway, so using it via a vpn can certainly not harm me more than I am already harmed so airvpn is not protecting me by not providing it, but maybe that reasoning is faulty?!

My poin that no matter the issues airvpn should provide ipv6 is based on the fact that I already use ipv6 anyway, so using it via a vpn can certainly not harm me more than I am already harmed so airvpn is not protecting me by not providing it, but maybe that reasoning is faulty?!

It's not faulty in itself, but also consider this: if you also have a pure IPv4 connection you can (at the moment) obtain a stronger anonymity layer with pure IPv4.

Kind regards

Does AirVPN do anything to block IPV6 otherwise a client on a dual stack network will leak a lot of data by preferring IPv6

Does AirVPN do anything to block IPV6 otherwise a client on a dual stack network will leak a lot of data by preferring IPv6

Yes, of course.

About Dual Stack. If you have only IPv6, and IPv4 goes over IPv6 only, then our service can not be used "as it is" with our client software, because it will try to block IPv6, actually disrupting your connection globally.

Kind regards