Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.150.163

System:

XP Pro SP3

Client:

v2.10.3 Portable

Issue:

Route check keeps on failing for every server & connection cannot be established.

Log:

I 2016.09.12 14:50:42 - DNS of a network adapter forced (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport)
I 2016.09.12 14:50:42 - DNS of a network adapter forced (TAP-Windows Adapter V9 - Packet Scheduler Miniport)
I 2016.09.12 14:50:43 - DNS of a network adapter forced (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport)
I 2016.09.12 14:50:43 - Flushing DNS
I 2016.09.12 14:50:43 - Checking route
W 2016.09.12 14:50:44 - Checking route, 1° try failed (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.)
W 2016.09.12 14:50:44 - Checking route, 2° try failed (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.)
W 2016.09.12 14:50:44 - Checking route, 3° try failed (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.)
W 2016.09.12 14:50:45 - Checking route, 4° try failed (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.)
W 2016.09.12 14:50:45 - Checking route, 5° try failed (The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.)
W 2016.09.12 14:50:45 - The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
! 2016.09.12 14:50:45 - Disconnecting

I have the same. But not for all servers. Did not work:

Carinae, Dabih. It Works: Kitalpha.
Client:

Portable v2.10.3

Hello!

We're sorry, it appears that it is currently not possible to connect to our service with Eddie and Windows XP SP3. We are investigating.

Kind regards

Hello!

The problem arose when RC4-SHA cipher was disabled for the route check. It comes out that Windows XP does not support any AES cipher suite in TLS:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa380512%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

At the moment we fixed the problem by allowing RSA-3DES-EDE-CBC-SHA (we deemed RC4 not acceptable):

TLS-DHE-DSS-WITH-3DES-EDE-CBC-SHA 

However this event once more shows that Windows XP should no more be used when security is a priority. It is an abandoned system. It seems somehow contradictory to use AirVPN services while at the same time running Windows XP...

Kind regards

EDIT: the problem does not seem resolved. We are investigating.

Problem solved.

Update:

Back online via Nunki...Other servers are still having issues so I guess they are being updated (for XP) individually??

Gomeisa is working too. I am able to connect only via Nunki and Gomeisa.

Other server are still not working (Windows XP x86).

A little more feedback from the 'Staff' would be appreciated on this..

AirVPN isn't a free service, people are paying for it and expect it to work (as it did before someone decided to alter something)

As for saying why use a VPN with XP, why not...?

Most don't even need the 'less secure' levels of encryption, so maybe it's better to quit making statements and reverse whatever was changed so that paying clients can use the service as advertised..

Hello!

Now I don't mean to be rude when saying this, but I think you're honestly being unreasonable @buzzlightburger.

1 - XP is an ancient system. You can't honestly expect as much support for an OS so old and for it to come as swiftly as compared to newer releases IMO. Yet you got a reply fast anyway.

2 - You've already received a Staff reply within a couple of hours of the original post; which is exceedingly fast, when you consider that the Staff don't have to post and aren't here 24/7.

3 - Said Staff post was quick to offer a solution that they thought worked, but then edited their post to notify you that further investigation would be needed anyway.

4 - Yes you're a paying customer and that has to be respected. However as a paying customer, you also ought to place more trust in the fact that AirVPN is trying to help & be more patient.

5 - XP is notorious for being extremely unsafe, by this point. Hence why Staff likely questioned your use of security software like a VPN, when a compromised OS would nullify the VPN.

Maybe you should look into Linux in a dual-boot or virtualised system. It's free, fast and functional. As well as more secure.  However I don't know what you meant about less secure levels of encryption - AirVPN always strives to offer the best encryption possible, without sacrificing useability.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

This problem can be worked around by going into Preferences (by clicking on the AirVPN square logo at the very top of the client), then on the Advanced tab, General subtab uncheck "Check if the tunnel effectively works", then under the DNS subtab uncheck "Check if the tunnel uses AirVPN DNS"

@LZ1

You can think what you like..

You don't sound like an XP user to me or a staff member of AirVPN, so your input isn't really relevant.

AirVPN doesn't exclude XP from use, therefore for those using it the 'problem' needs resolving, end of.

People don't want (or should need) to change/update anything their side because of a remote issue and if the issue is reported as fixed, when it isn't, we have a right to stress that it needs fixing..

As for Staff not needing to post here, what kind of support forum would this be if they didn't. AirVPN don't have to offer a support forum, this is true, but then I simply would've issued my same thoughts via email.

My post was not intended as rude and as it was moderated before publication, it seems you are the only person with an issue..

I'd stick to threads that relate to issues you have, rather than police others, as it seems you're a little over sensitive to criticism.

The world really doesn't need another person acting on behalf of someone else m8, especially another 'Now I don't mean to be rude' person

A little more feedback from the 'Staff' would be appreciated on this..

AirVPN isn't a free service, people are paying for it and expect it to work (as it did before someone decided to alter something)

Hello!

Support to a system that's been abandoned by its own creator on 2009 and whose extended support ended on 2014 is a courtesy. It is not advertised anywhere that we support abandoned systems. "Support to Windows" means support to Windows x86 active systems, it can't be in any way meant as support to Windows 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP and any other bunch of Windows abandoned system.

Additionally our free and open source software is not mandatory to connect to our service: you can connect with OpenVPN. Our software for example can not support Network Lock in XP, because of WIndows XP Firewall limitations. Route check and DNS check are an additional feature that we are trying to keep up even with the archaic XP system, but if it's not possible we will not compromise security and you will need to disable route check and DNS check in the software (or just use another software to connect).

As for saying why use a VPN with XP, why not...?

An abandoned system can't be updated to patch vulnerabilities and keep up with the normal development of security, encryption and a wide variety of subjects. Windows XP was already a security nightmare when it was regularly updated. Keeping using it in 2016 is unreasonable if security is a priority. And you can see one of the reasons right now, see our post about lack of AES cipher suites support at system level. You can't pretend that we solve problems that you create to yourself, but we'll try in any case. As we said, keeping RC4, even for checking route only, is no more acceptable. We will not sacrifice this in the name of an abandoned system.

Most don't even need the 'less secure' levels of encryption, so maybe it's better to quit making statements and reverse whatever was changed so that paying clients can use the service as advertised..

We can't and we must not be interested in what you assume most people think they need. We provide a state of the art service in its field and we will continue to do so. We will not compromise anything for the alleged needs of people who can't even realize the dangers of running an abandoned system. There are a lot of other services out there run by incompetent people who do not hesitate to compromise security just to target gullible people and earn a few more subscriptions and pretend to agree with you about how using XP nowadays does not pose any problem. Air is not and will not be one of such slimy services.

Kind regards

AirVPN isn't a free service, people are paying for it and expect it to work

And so it does. Or would you expect Battlefield 1 to run on Windows 98? Same principle, I don't upgrade my OS and expect something new and shiny to run on it.

or a staff member of AirVPN, so your input isn't really relevant.

[...]

As for Staff not needing to post here, what kind of support forum would this be if they didn't.

It's always important to know, these are the community support forums. If you post here, usually the users read and reply to it. There's no sense in expecting a Staff-only reply and tell everybody their posts are unwanted. We've got something only Staff reads - the Holy Support Ticket.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

If you install winxp s version of OpenVPN plus insert the AirVPN certs etc in OpenVPN config, you can also connect w XP to Air.