Not connected, Your IP: 54.234.146.26
KurtLongjohn

Day 1 using AirVPN; terrible usenet DL speeds

Today is my first day trying out AirVPN.  (I've been using another service for a couple of years.)

Love all the tools and status reports, etc, on the website.  The Eddie client is impressive (but I can't get it to run on my Arch Linux machine, so using OpenVPN).

I just tested out some download speeds with my usenet server.   With my other VPN service I can get close to 4.5 MB/s DL speeds.   When I switched to AirVPN I was getting less than 1.0 MB/s  (sometimes a LOT less--when it would connect at all.)

Very discouraging, to say the least.    I tried changing the UDP fragment size to 256, but that didn't improve anything.

Any suggestions would be welcome!  

Very discouraging, to say the least.    I tried changing the UDP fragment size to 256, but that didn't improve anything.

Any suggestions would be welcome!  

Hello,

please explain the meaning of this sentence. What directives did you enforce?

If it has something to do with mssfix, note that unless you have fragmentation you must NOT limit TCP sessions packets sizes inside UDP. If you have no fragmentation, that will only harm performance, not improve it.

Try larger OpenVPN buffers sizes, alternative connection modes, different servers in various locations and if you run Windows take care to use tun/tap driver 9..21.2, latest available driver for your physical network interface and no third-party packet filtering tools and network managers.

If your problem persists include connection logs and system report, without them it's hard to say anything else.

Kind regards

I think I might have solved my speed issues on my Linux machine.  I had missed the part about imbedded certificates not working with NetworkManager under Linux.   I re-downloaded the config files with the option to have the certs separate.  So far (only a few minutes now) I'm getting better resolve times and download speeds.

Spent the afternoon on an OS X machine, but was only seeing speeds that were 50% of what I thought they should be.  Was using the Eddie client.  Tried all manner of servers and UDP ports, etc.   

Will experiment soon with my Windows 7 box, see if I can get things running more smoothly there, too.

My only other VPN experience didn't have nearly as many options to fiddle with--one of the reasons I was curious to try AirVPN.   I'm climbing the Learning Curve; let's see how far I get!  ;-)

Still on the learning curve:  I don't understand the huge difference in speeds, as reported by speedtest.net and the AirVPN speed test page. [image]  Both  were performed within a minute of each other.   Are they measuring the same thing differently, or...?

Hello !

Welcome to AirVPN .

Have you tried the latest experimental client? You could perhaps do so on OSX.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello !

Welcome to AirVPN .

Have you tried the latest experimental client? You could perhaps do so on OSX.

Thanks for the tip!  I'll try that next time I have access to the OS X machine.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to get Windows 7 working as efficiently as possible.  Just updated my network adapter driver.  Tun 9.0.0.21 is installed at the moment, but I notice there is a 9.21.2 available on the openVPN site.  Is that one of the problematic versions?   Should I stick to 9.0.0.21?

Hehe it's certainly a cause for many problems around here. Hence why the aforementioned experimental client comes with the latest TAP driver . However if you visit the stickied threads in the troubleshooting forum, you'll find links to other versions of the TAP driver, which you can try at your leisure .

It's different which versions work best, from person to person.

Sent to you from me with datalove

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to get Windows 7 working as efficiently as possible.  Just updated my network adapter driver.  Tun 9.0.0.21 is installed at the moment, but I notice there is a 9.21.2 available on the openVPN site.  Is that one of the problematic versions?   Should I stick to 9.0.0.21?

Hello!

For practical purposes, Windows tun/tap driver versions "9.0.0.x.y" are defined as "9.x.y" (i.e. the ".0.0" is stripped out).

Driver 9.21.0 and 9.21.1 are problematic and should not be used anymore. However, driver 9.21.1 is still included in Eddie 2.10.3 package.

Driver 9.21.2 fixes a lot of issues and is included in Eddie 2.11.x package (currently in public beta testing).

Driver 9.9.2_3 appears to perform very well on every Windows version, except Windows 10, for which we have reports of compatibility problems.

Kind regards