Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.110.162

Good riddance. I don't think the people should be sued, but this is just one less parasite on the internet. Now, when other file-sharing sites got taken down, it was an issue. A lot of people used them for non-malicious activities and had no mirrors to anything else.

​Now that being said, I'm not saying copyright is perfect by any means. The grey area is quite an annoyance and the amount of time something can stay copywritten now is plain silly (thanks, Mickey Mouse). I personally adore people in the archival movement who back up old software from tapes and floppies that will soon be terminal, regardless of whether the copyright holder minds; though they usually don't, given the lack of profitability.

"The problem is that when people hear the term "big brother", they immediately think it's scary or bad, but I don't. I think, wow, I love my big brother." ~ Michael Scott

Hello,

the domain name  of this "kat" has been seized (before any due process in any jurisdiction, as far as we understand), but were the servers seized as well? Does anyone have the correct, old IP address or addresses?

Kind regards

Hello,

the domain name  of this "kat" has been seized (before any due process in any jurisdiction, as far as we understand), but were the servers seized as well? Does anyone have the correct, old IP address or addresses?

Kind regards

No the Servers were not seized but the provider for the servers did hand over access to them. And in that they were greatly compromised as there were password files and all sorts unsecured available for them.

Good riddance. I don't think the people should be sued, but this is just one less parasite on the internet. Now, when other file-sharing sites got taken down, it was an issue. A lot of people used them for non-malicious activities and had no mirrors to anything else.

​Now that being said, I'm not saying copyright is perfect by any means. The grey area is quite an annoyance and the amount of time something can stay copywritten now is plain silly (thanks, Mickey Mouse). I personally adore people in the archival movement who back up old software from tapes and floppies that will soon be terminal, regardless of whether the copyright holder minds; though they usually don't, given the lack of profitability.

You are allowed to have your opinions of course as anybody, but in saying parasite you are calling a big portion of AirVPN users parasites as many of us pirate and it may not always be for copyright evading, many of us do not live in the United States for one and have to use piracy as a means to get tv shows and movies we would like to see especially now that Netflix is blocking VPNs

Hello,

Kind regards

According to paragraph 39 of the Criminal Complaint, a "forensic image" of servers in Chicago was taken in January.

In paragraph 41 it says the RCMP obtained forensic images of four servers in Canada was taken in April.

I suppose these could just have been proxies.

===

I found it interesting that he also used archive.org to obtain historical information. The internet never forgets.

Hello,

Kind regards

No the Servers were not seized but the provider for the servers did hand over access to them. And in that they were greatly compromised as there were password files and all sorts unsecured available for them.

>>>Good riddance. I don't think the people should be sued, but this is just one less parasite on the internet. Now, when other file-sharing sites got taken down, it was an issue. A lot of people used them for non-malicious activities and had no mirrors to anything else.

You are allowed to have your opinions of course as anybody, but in saying parasite you are calling a big portion of AirVPN users parasites as many of us pirate and it may not always be for copyright evading, many of us do not live in the United States for one and have to use piracy as a means to get tv shows and movies we would like to see especially now that Netflix is blocking VPNs

The Netflix thing falls into the mess of copyright grey area and how publishers work. Copyright is by no means perfect. It's technically illegal to download something that hasn't been supported in over 20 years by sale. It's illegal to download something that fell through the cracks when a publisher purchased another in a buy-out and forgot it existed. I imagine people outside of the US have quite a number of problems watching things based on how companies here work.

That being said, someone who downloads a program that's been cracked as warez (and still sold non-second hand) , or any medium that's easily obtainable where they live simply because they can and don't wish to pay falls into that term for me.

"The problem is that when people hear the term "big brother", they immediately think it's scary or bad, but I don't. I think, wow, I love my big brother." ~ Michael Scott

What about kickasstorrents.to, .ee, and kat.cm? All three go to KAT. Unless it's some sort of malicious copy...

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hello,

Kind regards

>Good riddance. I don't think the people should be sued, but this is just one less parasite on the internet. Now, when other file-sharing sites got taken down, it was an issue. A lot of people used them for non-malicious activities and had no mirrors to anything else.

Pirate? Now now, what happened to file-sharing

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

The Netflix thing falls into the mess of copyright grey area and how publishers work. Copyright is by no means perfect. It's technically illegal to download something that hasn't been supported in over 20 years by sale. It's illegal to download something that fell through the cracks when a publisher purchased another in a buy-out and forgot it existed. I imagine people outside of the US have quite a number of problems watching things based on how companies here work.

That being said, someone who downloads a program that's been cracked as warez, or any medium that's easily obtainable where they live simply because they can and don't wish to pay falls into that term for me.

In that regard, I am certainly a parasite then lol, due to where I live not many things is priced for me to be able to spend money on it without double the time of saving as anybody else in the US or Germany for example, so if I am able to get something free and I do not lose much functionality in that I will do so.

P.S. I am very greedy yes I have no reason to hide that as I am not ashamed of it

​At least you admit to it lol. My main annoyance goes towards people who wrap piracy into an ideology, preaching it like a religion. Some act like they're heroes or rebels, and it's just laughable.

​At least you admit to it lol. My main annoyance goes towards people who wrap piracy into an ideology, preaching it like a religion. Some act like they're heroes or rebels, and it's just laughable.

Funny that you mention it before Kat was shut down I saw a thread where it was very much like that, I generally prefer my private torrent tracker sites tho. Also if Netflix was a complete service with all tv shows that are available, like an Australian favorite of mine Wentworth or some american ones Suits and The Fosters right as they air I would definitely subscribe it is within my price range but as they do not I cannot use them for much

Well I think that's silly, unless.... You take a look at the media landscape. I don't think it's unreasonable, for instance, to have reservations against how the big media companies act. After all, if this entire copyright issue was an isolated one, then maybe it wouldn't matter. But the fact of the matter is, it affects societies around the world quite a lot, when lobbyists from the Entertainment Industry affect new laws in countries across the world. Leading to, in no particular order, things such as:

• ​Increased surveillance. Both on the internet and off. Meaning it increasingly becomes a human rights issue, as surveillance impacts democracy, which impacts how we live.
  • ​Increased restrictions on devices which we are supposed to own, because we bought them & when we didn't buy them, we use them; such as the software in all manner of trains, vehicles, powergrids and more. DRM, in other words, which if nothing else, makes "closedness" acceptable and even expected, instead of openness.
  • ​Increased levels of resources expended by societies to police these things. Meaning that you're diverting likely limited resources away from dangerous crime, to copyright crime. Such as when a guy in Sweden was apparently arrested for running  a free Swedish subtitling website, where volunteers could add subtitles for various movies. You'd think this would be in the interest of the rights holders, as it's basically free-localization and thus more people can get word of their movies and perhaps move to buy them. But nope.
  • ​Increased or potentially increased, levels of corruption; it's very easy to pay off a Politician or some other high-up figure to back the cause of the Entertainment Industry.
  • ​Decreased ease with which people from all over the world can get access to culture, knowledge & different points of view. After all, soon you might require a login for the web; they'd surely like that. ​
  • ​Decreased user-friendliness, such as when DRM becomes so restrictive that pirates have an easier time playing a game than someone who actually bought it.
  • ​Increased risk for the users. The Sony example is good; Sony shipped CDs which had malware on them, in an attempt to control its property.

​So I have to say, whether ideologically rooted or not, there's at least some pragmatically-oriented things which become objectively worse, if everyone simply complies with the wishes of the Entertainment Industry and their copyright wishes; at least for everyone else who doesn't happen to be a part of the 10% perhaps. It's not just about movies or songs or games. It's fundamentally more about who has control over how we choose to live. How for instance, can it be, that it's so difficult to get access to hardware which doesn't spy on you or is otherwise closed? Well I'm sure that one of the reasons is that the rights of corporations are valued more than the rights of individuals and societies. So I think while "piracy" gets a lot of attention, the issue is larger still and is just another cog in a larger battle.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello,

Kind regards

According to Wikipedia, the FBI seized full copies of KAT hard drives:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KickassTorrents

Is that a tin foil hat you're wearing?  Nough said.

Well I think that's silly, unless.... You take a look at the media landscape. I don't think it's unreasonable, for instance, to have reservations against how the big media companies act. After all, if this entire copyright issue was an isolated one, then maybe it wouldn't matter. But the fact of the matter is, it affects societies around the world quite a lot, when lobbyists from the Entertainment Industry affect new laws in countries across the world. Leading to, in no particular order, things such as:

• ​Increased surveillance. Both on the internet and off. Meaning it increasingly becomes a human rights issue, as surveillance impacts democracy, which impacts how we live.
  • ​Increased restrictions on devices which we are supposed to own, because we bought them & when we didn't buy them, we use them; such as the software in all manner of trains, vehicles, powergrids and more. DRM, in other words, which if nothing else, makes "closedness" acceptable and even expected, instead of openness.
  • ​Increased levels of resources expended by societies to police these things. Meaning that you're diverting likely limited resources away from dangerous crime, to copyright crime. Such as when a guy in Sweden was apparently arrested for running  a free Swedish subtitling website, where volunteers could add subtitles for various movies. You'd think this would be in the interest of the rights holders, as it's basically free-localization and thus more people can get word of their movies and perhaps move to buy them. But nope.
  • ​Increased or potentially increased, levels of corruption; it's very easy to pay off a Politician or some other high-up figure to back the cause of the Entertainment Industry.
  • ​Decreased ease with which people from all over the world can get access to culture, knowledge & different points of view. After all, soon you might require a login for the web; they'd surely like that. ​
  • ​Decreased user-friendliness, such as when DRM becomes so restrictive that pirates have an easier time playing a game than someone who actually bought it.
  • ​Increased risk for the users. The Sony example is good; Sony shipped CDs which had malware on them, in an attempt to control its property.

​So I have to say, whether ideologically rooted or not, there's at least some pragmatically-oriented things which become objectively worse, if everyone simply complies with the wishes of the Entertainment Industry and their copyright wishes; at least for everyone else who doesn't happen to be a part of the 10% perhaps. It's not just about movies or songs or games. It's fundamentally more about who has control over how we choose to live. How for instance, can it be, that it's so difficult to get access to hardware which doesn't spy on you or is otherwise closed? Well I'm sure that one of the reasons is that the rights of corporations are valued more than the rights of individuals and societies. So I think while "piracy" gets a lot of attention, the issue is larger still and is just another cog in a larger battle.

Very well put, LZ1.  Copyright and even patent rights frequently get in the way of innovation (think Hiren's BootCD)....there's a balance to be had and Big Media is way out of balance. The DRM obsessed want to lock down the internet (hardware and software) for their personal profit.  Broad access to knowledge and culture needs to take preeminence over boundless corporate and personal greed. International copyright needs to be thoughtfully rewritten.

Sadly, the only reason media trolls stop using any particular restrictions/DRM is when they have a newer, more sinister one to replace the old.

Big companies like Sony can make millions of copies of malware containing discs and distribute it without any consequence, and already most people have forgotten about this nonsense.

Intel puts spy chips on their motherboards, and refuses to answer any questions about what the chip even does. (Hardware DRM of a sort.)

UEFI is standardized to allow companies the right to have a malicious rootkit on your motherboard that is awake and active even when your system is powered down. (It works via the CR-2032 Lithium battery when the power is off.)

Cars are being sold with non-optional GPS trackers, so your every movement can be plotted and your location is known.

You simply cannot avoid all this bullshit. I would not be surprised to learn that toasters are being sold with microphones and wifi in them so they can call home and report back the logs of everything they heard.

If you want a measure of safety, look to the old rather than the new. And above all, educate yourself about every component. You need to be aware. Information is power and power is money. Have all the information that effects you.

/rant off

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

The greedy bastards that run Big Media exercise a lot of influence over the US Government via the Democratic Party. That will continue and grow under a deeply co-opted Hillary Presidency. They are a major pillar in US global power by their ability to influence global public opion and world-view with media of their devising (film, music, news). The vast majority of media shown in Europe and world-wide is made in USA. It seems like much of the European Union establishment is willing to submit to US media dominance rather than encourage native-made content.

Regarding the democratic party bit of your response I believe it was President Bush and his Republican party that enacted the Patriot Act which led to the mass surveillance and illegal collection of information of people all around the globe.  I think I would be more angry at the Republicans than the democrats.

The greedy bastards that run Big Media exercise a lot of influence over the US Government via the Democratic Party. That will continue and grow under a deeply co-opted Hillary Presidency. They are a major pillar in US global power by their ability to influence global public opion and world-view with media of their devising (film, music, news). The vast majority of media shown in Europe and world-wide is made in USA. It seems like much of the European Union establishment is willing to submit to US media dominance rather than encourage native-made content.

Regarding the democratic party bit of your response I believe it was President Bush and his Republican party that enacted the Patriot Act which led to the mass surveillance and illegal collection of information of people all around the globe.  I think I would be more angry at the Republicans than the democrats.

So many people have the mistaken idea that the Democratic Party upholds “liberal’ ideas like freedom of speech (ask Assange and Snowden how that worked out).  See this article in NYT “Obama Calls for Law Enforcement Access in Encryption Fight”. Pres. Clinton signed the DMCA as well as the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (facilitated monopolization of telecom). In fact the Democratic Party is heavily co-opted by Big Meda (Hollywood) and Big High Tech (Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and the rest), Big Money (Wallstreet, Investment Banking and Hedge Funds) (BTW, the Clintons are suddenly worth $150 Million after leaving the White House “dead broke and in debt”….watch youtube “Clinton Cash” (while bearing in mind it was created by a Breitbart (very conservative) editor)).  The only real difference between the Dem. and Rep. Parties is that the Dems do generally support socially liberal policies (LGBT, abortion) whereas the Reps are just bat-shit crazy about everything. When it comes to freedom of communication, freedom of access, freedom of information (the cornerstones of modern life), the Dems are as bad as the Reps. These two dysfunctional parties are just owned by two different sets of corporate paymasters that buy the lobbyists and pay for "our" representatives. The Dems have done a masterful job of seeming liberal while supporting certain rapacious industries whereas the Reps gave up any pretense of rational behavior long ago. If Hillary/Dems wins this election it will only be because Trump is such a blatant “toupeed fuck trumpet” (ref: Urban Dictionary) and wannabe fascist dictator. Expect Hillary to backpedal on her newly found more left positions adopted in response to the threat from Bernie Sanders. Do not expect her to do anything about campaign finance reform. I'm expecting her to find new and creative ways to continue the endless wars against x, y or z.

/rant off  (with thanks to OmniNegro )

Hello,

Kind regards

>>>Good riddance. I don't think the people should be sued, but this is just one less parasite on the internet. Now, when other file-sharing sites got taken down, it was an issue. A lot of people used them for non-malicious activities and had no mirrors to anything else.

​Now that being said, I'm not saying copyright is perfect by any means. The grey area is quite an annoyance and the amount of time something can stay copywritten now is plain silly (thanks, Mickey Mouse). I personally adore people in the archival movement who back up old software from tapes and floppies that will soon be terminal, regardless of whether the copyright holder minds; though they usually don't, given the lack of profitab

ility.

That being said, someone who downloads a program that's been cracked as warez (and still sold non-second hand) , or any medium that's easily obtainable where they live simply because they can and don't wish to pay falls into that term for me.

I want to say that I also resent catchtheblacksunshine calling a large percent of AirVPN clients parasites.  Thankyou, EdenSpire for speaking up.

I do not know of any political party that ever had a chance in any election that is not corrupt to the core. If you think I am full of shit, look into it. Really look into it.

Most politicians are one or more of murderers, liars, rapists, racists, torturers, and as hard as it may be to believe, worse than any of that. Some of these people can, would, and may actually have raped, tortured, and eaten a toddler or ten.

I do not draw party lines, because there is zero difference besides the bullshit they like to say about one-another. I do not mention any names, because there are no good names.

Career politicians = the people who would make Hitler look good at his worst moments. Exactly none of them have your best interest in mind, not even as a talking point they will never bother with once elected. They all want to be tyrants and lock down the entire Internet, and effectively bring us back to the mid 1800s level of idiocy. No exceptions.

Now if we really want to discuss this nonsense, we should start a new thread for it, so we can continue with the actual subject here. And I will gladly move my post there if one should exist.

Good day everyone.

*Edit* Please do not respond to this here. I am reposting this in the new thread. Thanks Kepler_452b for making it.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

It pains me OmniNegro to say that I have to agree with you to a substantial degree. It looks like this will be a pivotal year for control of the digital world, which in effect is everything. B. Sanders may have been the last chance to elect an honest President and the Dem Party elite saw to it that that was not going to happen. Internet freedom and  (since computers control everything now or very soon via the IOT) our personal freedom is under existential threat (see Cory Doctorow at Defcon 23

for a full explanation). If Hillary wins it will be "I'm sorry, Hal, I can't do that"...if Trump wins it will be a digital version of "may I have your papers bitte". Everyone needs to support the EFF in its battle to undo DMCA, sec. 1201  (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/21/digital-millennium-copyright-act-eff-supreme-court). BTW, I took your suggestion and started a new thread; "The Politics and Technology of Information Control"

It pains me OmniNegro to say that I have to agree with you to a substantial degree. It looks like this will be a pivotal year for control of the digital world, which in effect is everything. B. Sanders may have been the last chance to elect an honest President and the Dem Party elite saw to it that that was not going to happen. Internet freedom and  (since computers control everything now or very soon via the IOT) our personal freedom is under existential threat (see Cory Doctorow at Defcon 23

for a full explanation). If Hillary wins it will be "I'm sorry, Hal, I can't do that"...if Trump wins it will be a digital version of "may I have your papers bitte". Everyone needs to support the EFF in its battle to undo DMCA, sec. 1201  (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/21/digital-millennium-copyright-act-eff-supreme-court). BTW, I took your suggestion and started a new thread; "The Politics and Technology of Information Control"

That was    DEF CON 23 - Cory Doctorow - Fighting Back in the War on General Purpose Computers on youtube