Not connected, Your IP: 54.224.70.148
henleys

Windows 10 Client Leaks DNS - Could Be Fixed By Upgrading OpenVPN Version

Hi,

After a lot of testing, searching, and experimenting with settings in the Windows 10 client, I've not been able to solve a DNS leak in the Windows 10 client. I have, however, been able to stop the leak by using a newer version of OpenVPN.

The Windows AirVPN client currently uses OpenVPN version 2.3.8, a version which does not support the "block-outside-dns" option, which would solve the DNS leak. Version 2.3.9 supports this option, and the current version is 2.3.10, so upgrading the OpenVPN version in the Windows client would solve the leak. More here: https://www.dnsleaktest.com/how-to-fix-a-dns-leak.html

I've tested the option in the most recent version of OpenVPN(Without the AIrVPN client) and the leak is fixed. The latest version is available here: https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html

Another issue with the client is that when you try to specify a custom path to OpenVPN, it doesn't work and uses the built-in version with the client.

So this is a request to upgrade OpenVPN in the client and enable the "block-outside-dns" option too. Fixing the custom path would be great as well. I think this would help us all because privacy is a very important part of VPNs.

Thanks,

Henleys

Bugs with the client are starting to get frequent. What bugs me is that the last update of the GitHub repo was on July 31, 2015..

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

You can also just copy the DLL files and the OpenVPN.exe file from newest OpenVPN version's "Bin" directory (or from the installer via 7ZIP if you don't prefer to install OpenVPN separately). It seems to work quite fine once I replaced the OpenVPN.exe with the newer version (backed up the old one before doing so), and almost seems abit faster in some ways as well.

I was only having DNS leaks if I had IPV6 on (I'm guessing my ISP also can query IPV4 addresses though their IPV6 DNS) so I've just turned it off in the adapter's properties. I'll have to test if this prevents the leak even with IPV6 enabled.

Yep, I do that with Securepoint as well if they don't push updates.

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

Same problem here, I hope the client will be fix soon but I really doubt of it cause there is no change on Github !

Clodo's client fork is more up-to-date and it seems that it's used to push updates to AirVPN's repository from time to time. If you are compiling yourself, consider trying out clodo's repo.

Clodo's client fork is more up-to-date and it seems that it's used to push updates to AirVPN's repository from time to time. If you are compiling yourself, consider trying out clodo's repo.

That's not a fork!

Kind regards

That's not a fork!

Kind regards

Care to elaborate?

That's not a fork!

Kind regards

Care to elaborate?

No fork has ever been initiated inside the Air staff. The source code you see in that official repository is in the Eddie main branch. The source code you now see for the 2.11 alpha release is the basis for version 2.11 (or higher) stable, as usual.

Do you know about any fork of Eddie, by chance?

Kind regards

I didn't mean to say you copied it. I looked at the network graph of AirVPN's and clodo's repositories and concluded that clodo forked it from AirVPN to develop the experimental versions independently (since AirVPN doesn't seem to have an experimental branch).

To answer your question, I don't know of any forks of the client where development went another way. I can only look at GitHub's graphs, though, and they are behind or even with the official repo.

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

I didn't mean to say you copied it. I looked at the network graph of AirVPN's and clodo's repositories and concluded that clodo forked it from AirVPN to develop the experimental versions independently (since AirVPN doesn't seem to have an experimental branch).

Hi,

Clodo was and is the Eddie developer. There is currently no independent development of Eddie as far as we know. Perhaps it will happen, who knows, thanks to GPL. One of the most important new features in Eddie 2.11 is the compatibility with Mono 4.4.

Kind regards

Hi all

I did as the one user suggested and copied the DLL files and .exe of the new version of OpenVPN into my AirVPN directory but I dont understand how to fix the leak (when i do the test on DNSLeak test it says Netherlands but if I click standard test it displays my IP and where I am based). This is my first time trying to use a VPN and I am not sure I have set it up right?

I tried the fix suggested on DNS leak test site but I dont understand how to add the line to the config file as I dont see a config file in my AirVPN directory. Can anyone explain to me in laymens terms how to fix this leak? I am on Windows 10 64 bit btw incase that relevant.

Thanks