Photo

Kaspersky users read here

Best Answer Staff, 12 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

https://airvpn.org/topic/22665-kaspersky-2017-patch-e-released/

This should definitely fix any Kaspersky problem with OpenVPN usage.

Kind regards

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 DZ5TGW

DZ5TGW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

Having read the OP that the D patch had been pulled, I downloaded from the Kaspersky website and reinstalled KAV.

It showed the C version, but after rebooting, I had the D version.

I tried connecting with the latest Eddie and Firefox and NO GO.

Uninstalled KAV again and everything back to normal.

Hope this stops others from wasting time like I did.

It's working for other users trev.

There is another workaround if you've had Patch D forced upon you.

• Right click on the Kaspersky icon and exit the program
  • Then load Eddie and wait until you're connected
  • Now re-load Kaspersky.

I've spent a substantial amount of time analysing the crash dump in Visual Studio and it's 100% a problem with Kaspersky. I have sent a PGP message to their development team to let them know of the problem.

It's quite an easy fix for Kasperksy to implement although they have suggested that it may not be fixed until Kaspersky 2018 (later this year). They have broken compatibility with OpenVPN. There is a fix for OpenVPN but I have neither the time nor inclination to write a patch for OpenVPN when the issue has been caused by an improper anti-virus implementation.

Kaspersky is so effective (they are 1 of the top 2 AVs) because it puts deep hooks into the operating system to prevent/detect viruses and malware early. I'd suggest people continue using it (Windows Defender alone is not sufficient) and await a patch. It's inconvenient I know.

Alternatively Sophos provide commercial-grade protection for free for home users. I've not tested their endpoint software with AirVPN but I successfully use their UTM without problem. You can download it here.

#22 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7797 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

There is a fix for OpenVPN but I have neither the time nor inclination to write a patch for OpenVPN when the issue has been caused by an improper anti-virus implementation.

Hello!

Would you like to share the details if or when you have time? We have already written patches for OpenVPN in the past and we already routinely release our patched version of OpenVPN. It will take time because any new code must be thoroughly peer reviewed to prevent any risk of "injecting" unwanted vulnerabilities, but it's a potential way to go. We are also aware that "patching" something to conform to the bad behavior of something else is highly questionable.

Kind regards

#23 MOS6581

MOS6581

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:40 AM

I have the same issue using Windows 10 x64, Eddie 2.12.4 (all default options) using the latest Tap driver. I do have Kasperpky Total Security 17..0.0.611 installed. When I use Speedtest.net without a VP|N connection I get my normal 100Mbps DL and 120Mbps UL. As soon as I connect VPN, major latency and Firefox/Chrome basically connect to nothing.

Having the same issue here, This occurs ONLY when the VPN is connected. I did have Kaspersky and Malwarebytes installed, which I tested the speed with either Kaspersky, Malwarebytes or both turned off, then I completely uninstalled both of them, and the issue still exists, but again, only when the VPN is connected. Not sure what the hell is going on

#24 chuzzwuzzer01

chuzzwuzzer01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

Uninstalled Kaspersky and reinstalled to © version. All working again. Cheers !

#25 x7tqha43ufzv58l2enk62p5ys2

x7tqha43ufzv58l2enk62p5ys2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Hi just in from work and kaspersky has updated itself to patch d, connection has failed again, all was well yesterday when i reinstalled kaspersky and it updated itself to patch c, i thought i had it sorted. Does anybody know why it has updated itself back to patch d if kaspersky has pulled patch d ?

#26 x7tqha43ufzv58l2enk62p5ys2

x7tqha43ufzv58l2enk62p5ys2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Hi all, Trev is right kaspersky just updates back to patch d, it would only update to patch c yesterday but just in from work and its all knackered again. Been useing kaspersky for years now with very few problems, i was amazed to hear that kaspersky has been injecting js into every web page, not sure what to do about kaspersky now, might be better off with another av supplier ? any sugestions welcome.

#27 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

Not the first time Kaspersky broke some functionality of another software. Maybe AV softwares are not as important today as they were back then..!?

any sugestions welcome.

Ditch Windows, switch to Linux. Because on Linux, the tools to monitor what is happening in your OS are all there, more or less easy to use. Not to mention that you don't pay for software which is spying on you.

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#28 pitboss

pitboss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

Hi

I am also still affected by this Problem (Win 10, Eddie 2.12.4, KIS 2017 (d), Edge works fine / Firefox does not or very slow).

This Problem is currently been discussed here in Kaspersky's Forum:

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=367272&st=60&p=2682803&#entry2682803

The more people complain, the sooner they'll fix it :rules:

#29 chuzzwuzzer01

chuzzwuzzer01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

Uninstalled Kaspersky and reinstalled to © version. All working again. Cheers !

Scratch that. My Kaspersky has updated itself back the the d version so not working again.

#30 VPN44

VPN44

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

Since the current KIS is automatically upgrading to D, why not just install the old KIS 2016 software that won't be able to get Patch D?

When you go to this link, Kaspersky allows you to download previous software versions for free. This may be a quick and easy workaround until this has been fixed. I"m going to try it now.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/software-upgrades/

#31 VPN44

VPN44

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

For some reason I can't get the old Total Security 2016 or 2015 file from the below link. It is telling me access denied. Does anybody else have access?

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/product-downloads/total-security/previous-versions

#32 VPN44

VPN44

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

I found a working download link via the Knowledge Base to KTS 16.0.1.445. I'll provide the link below for anyone else that wants it. I'm going to remove KTS 2017 and try 2016. I'll report back after rebooting. Just wanted to include the link before I lost it during reboot.

https://support.kaspersky.com/kts2016

#33 VPN44

VPN44

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

I can confirm that rolling back to Kaspersky Total Security 2016 fixes the slow/no connection issue with the latest Eddie 2.12.4. I verified this with before and after speed tests. I don't know if I am giving up any must have features by rolling back to the 2016 model, but I'm thinking likely not.

After I installed it, Firefox started giving me an error ("SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER") when I tried to get onto a site with https. I'm not sure it's because I didn't run the update or possibly because I didn't restart Firefox, but I was able to fix it by reinstalling the Kaspersky certificate. Here's how I did it (in red below) in case it helps anyone else with a similar issue.

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Fix-slowness-crashing-error/How-to-troubleshoot-the-error-code-quot-SEC-ERROR-UNKNOWN-ISSUER/ta-p/35758#w_kaspersky

In Kaspersky security products you can disable the interception of secure connections:

1. Open the dashboard of your Kaspersky application.
  2. Click on Settings on the bottom-left.
  3. Click Additional and then Network.
  4. If you use a 2016 version of Kaspersky: In the Encrypted connections scanning section check the Do not scan encrypted connections option and confirm this change.
    Alternatively you can click on Advanced Settings in order to try to trigger a reinstallation of Kaspersky's certificate. In the dialog that opens click on Install certificate… and follow the on-screen instructions.
    If you use a 2015 version of Kaspersky: uncheck the Scan encrypted connections option.
  5. Finally, reboot your system for the changes to take effect.

Users of an earlier version of Kaspersky with a current subscription are entitled to an upgrade to the latest product version, which is available for download and installation on the Kaspersky product updates page. Afterwards follow the steps from above.

#34 Seanpatrick

Seanpatrick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:12 AM

I just wanted to chime in that the VPN has become near unusable for me over the last few days.  I finally gave up and am using Windows defender in conjunction with Air, and it seems to work fine. 

Obviously that's not ideal, and I've logged a ticket and voiced my concern on Kaspersky's forums, but I was wondering whether the tech guys at AirVPN have anything on the horizon that might fix it?

Thanks!

#35 nikondrgn

nikondrgn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

I think I'm having the same issue everyone else is, and think I found a work around that doesn't involve uninstalling Kaspersky or trying to revert back to an older version.

I rebooted the other day because Kaspersky Total Security said it needed to reboot to finish installing the patch. Ever since the reboot, my internet works fine when I'm not connected to the VPN, but as soon as I am, web browsers no longer function. I can ping various servers (google.com and kaspersky.com) just fine through the VPN, so the DNS seems to resolve correctly. I can also download updates through chocolatey without any issues, so the VPN connection isn't completely dead, I just can't access anything through Firefox or Chrome.

This got me to thinking, and after playing around with it a bit, and flat out disabling Kaspersky all together without any improvement, I noticed that plugins in Firefox were still showing up. Long story short, I found that disabling the Kaspersky Protection plugin seems to have fixed my problem (I had no issues browsing in Firefox for an hour or so, and was pulling around 12MB/s with a 130ms ping on a few speed tests, which is typical for me..)

There's a setting that's on by default in Kaspersky that won't let you disable the plugin (or rather, keeps turning it back on when you disable it)

Open Kaspersky and go to settings (the gear looking icon in the lower left corner)

-> Protection

-> Web-Antivirus

-> Advanced Settings

-> Uncheck "Automatically activate Kaspersky Protection extension in browsers"

Now open up your browser and disable the Kaspersky Protection plugin (in Firefox, go to the menu -> Add-ons -> Extensions, then disable Kaspersky Protection.)  You may need to restart your browser before the changes take effect.

Not ideal, but until they fix it, this is better than nothing for me..

Edited by nikondrgn, 23 March 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#36 chuzzwuzzer01

chuzzwuzzer01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

@ nikondrgn. Tried the above but still not working for me. About time Kaspersky sorted this.

#37 CrankyCat

CrankyCat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

It's definitely back with the (d) release dang it! I'll open an issue again.

Btw, the Kaspersky forums thread was deleted. :-|

#38 trev

trev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Wasn't the Thread just merged?

#39 Seanpatrick

Seanpatrick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

Wasn't the Thread just merged?

Yes it was.  I just got off tech support with them pretty angry about the whole thing, and in the middle of it I found the merged thread :/.  In any case they said to me 1. don't rely on forums - to which I responded with aren't they your forums?  They told me they're a separate department, so take that for what it's worth.

They followed up with that they are aware of the problem, but it is apparently unique to each PC, so I'd have to upload all my logs and go through their troubleshooting steps.  Kind of a pain in the rear, but once I'm done all the work I need to get finished today I'll have to go through the laborious process I guess.

#40 justlurchin

justlurchin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:13 AM

Came here because ive done emailed, called, and chat supported with them multiple times. I seen the recc. of installing '16 version and some of you stated you could not find it, so I did for you and myself as well. Here is the link. Im downloading now and posting before reboot so I dont lose this page and get distracted, forget to reply. http://support.kaspersky.com/us/kts2016#downloads

Hope this helps, for all of our sakes.