Not connected, Your IP: 3.229.123.80

I really love the ability tunnel all the openvpn traffic through ssl or ssh. I'm not sure which is more secure or faster. I normally use ssl tunnelling and do most of my daily browsing and I've no problem other than a bit of latency sometimes. 

Thank you for your thoughtful and very important service. 

OpenVPN over SSL has such an impact on performance that it is recommended only when absolutely necessary, for example when OpenVPN connections are disrupted. If you can connect over OpenVPN directly, do not use OpenVPN over SSL or over SSH, unless it is a proof a concept, technical/didactic curiosity etc. With OpenVPN over SSH as well to port 22, you might get better performance (simply because SSH is "more efficient" than stunnel).

Hope the above might help.It's the answer from Staff that I got regarding OpenVpn over SSL/SSH.

Regards,

Flex

I use it because I like the idea of my web traffic enveloped in multiple encrypted tunnels. I don't mind the performance hit, it is a real benefit post PRISM knowledge.

EDIT: My last speed test was 6.30mbps down and 1.23mbps up, that's more than what I need for normal web traffic. Got a good 140ms ping as well. Love this service.

Hi, I have been trying AirVPN over SSH, it appears to work with no big drop in speed. Can I just check, because the VPN is now forced to use TCP not UDP is the VPN still encrypted? I only ask becaue when I look at wlan0 and tun0 in wireshark the wlan0 shows SSH encrypted, but the VPN appears as port 80...

Am I missing omething here?  Thanks

Hello,

that's correct. SSH connects to our servers and OpenVPN connects to SSH (it's OpenVPN over SSH). Once OpenVPN packets are encrypted again (the previous unencrypted header becomes part of the new encrypted by ssh payload, the previous encrypted header and payload are again encrypted and become part of the new encrypted payload; the new cleartext header is by SSH) and encapsulated, your SSH "client" sends them to our servers.

In your system outgoing/incoming traffic, OpenVPN fingerprint is therefore never visible.

Kind regards