Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.131.238
Sign in to follow this  
supermanvthanos

Slow Speeds, even on wireguard.

Posted ... (edited)

I maxed out buffer size.  I unchecked automatic and selected default wireguard port.  Tested the best rated for speed as well as the ones closest to me.  I then immediately do a speed test, and the best I can get is about half my full DL speed.  I can turn VPN off and get full speed.  I can even connect back to Mullvad(I have 1month left) and I get full speed.  Can't get this working with AirVPN.  I am using Eddie client.

I may need a refund if I can't fix this.

Suggestions?

Edited ... by supermanvthanos

@supermanvthanos

Hello!

Set the link MTU size identical to the size set by Mullvad and then increase at little steps. 20 bytes by 20 bytes. Consider that:
  • Mullvad software forces the MTU size to 1280 bytes (at least some time ago, we don't know whether they changed it recently)
  • Eddie 2.21.8 lets WireGuard set the MTU size and it does not offer an option to change it. If WireGuard makes a wrong choice Eddie 2.21 can't fix it
  • Eddie 2.23.x sets MTU size to 1320 bytes but also lets you change it in Preferences > WireGuard window, a new feature. If you want to test it: https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/56428-eddie-desktop-223-beta-released/
  • if you run native WireGuard utilities you can change MTU size by entering the directive MTU = n, where n is in bytes, in the [Interface] section of the configuration file. You can edit it with any text editor
  • each time you change MTU size you must re-start the connection to apply the change. Perform the speed tests to fine tune and find the optimal MTU size for your network.
Rationale: too small and too big MTU sizes deeply impair performance. In the first case there's a waste of room in the frame, in the second case a whole packet must be re-sent for each packet too large for the frame.

Feel free to open a ticket if you need support directly from the AirVPN support team.

I may need a refund if I can't fix this.

This is the community forum so it's not the proper place as the community can't do anything about it obviously. If you decide for a refund you will need to open a ticket (click "Contact us" on the web site or write to support@airvpn.org).

Kind regards