Not connected, Your IP: 3.19.56.45
rock3716

Option to pause subscription

I would like to request the ability to pause my subscription. This feature could prove useful in various situations. In my particular case, I have been a satisfied customer for several years. However, I have decided to start to use a different VPN service because AirVPN doesn't offer certain features that I need. Specifically, I am looking for VPN's Stealth and Split tunnelling by App features, which I can find with other providers.

Split Tunnelling is in the works, if I remember correctly, but what is "stealth"?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)

"Stealth uses obfuscation to hide your VPN connection from censors. The general idea is to make VPN traffic look like “normal” traffic — or common HTTPS connections. Stealth does this by using obfuscated TLS tunnelling over TCP. This is different from most popular VPN protocols that typically use UDP, making them easier to detect and block."

I am currently waiting for AirVPN to introduce the Split Tunnelling feature, but I am unsure if it will take months or even years for it to become available. In the meantime, I will have to use an alternative VPN provider. It would be helpful if I could pause my subscription and resume it later once my required feature has been added.

Edited ... by OpenSourcerer
Remove link to competitor

On 10/15/2023 at 10:14 AM, rock3716 said:

"Stealth uses obfuscation to hide your VPN connection from censors. The general idea is to make VPN traffic look like “normal” traffic — or common HTTPS connections. Stealth does this by using obfuscated TLS tunnelling over TCP. This is different from most popular VPN protocols that typically use UDP, making them easier to detect and block."

AirVPN already has this, see AirVPN over SSL or SSH. Or even Tor.
Don't fall for marketing terms like "stealth" or "obfuscation" – it's neither: It doesn't "hide" packets, and it doesn't alter them. At the end of the day all you do is encapsulate OpenVPN packets into other protocols. They're still there.

I am currently waiting for AirVPN to introduce the Split Tunnelling feature, but I am unsure if it will take months or even years for it to become available. In the meantime, I will have to use an alternative VPN provider. It would be helpful if I could pause my subscription and resume it later once my required feature has been added.

Let me quote Johnny Depp here:
If you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second.

Pausing a subscription is like telling your first one to hold out for you while you enjoy the youthful appearance and sex appeal of the second. No. Simply ditch the first one, save him/her the prolonged stress and heartbreak.

Such a feature has got the potential to be abused to the disadvantage of Air as a company. Also, you cannot plan for these pauses as a company who pays for servers with no pausing opportunity. Barring serious consideration and a clever design, I don't see this feature coming to life in the future.

8 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

AirVPN already has this, see AirVPN over SSL or SSH. Or even Tor.
Don't fall for marketing terms like "stealth" or "obfuscation" – it's neither: At the end of the day all you do is encapsulate OpenVPN packets into other protocols.

I thought that this feature could be the reason for LoL to work with them and not work with AirVPN(except for 2 servers with higher ping).

comparing protons new feature.  to what Airvpn has had for my entire relationship with Air.  at least 6+ years:
below is the same thing that Proton Recently started to offer 

OpenVPN TCP 443 3 If you have issue with UDP. Look FAQ 'UDP vs TCP' tls-crypt, tls1.2

Posted ... (edited)

Do you also pause your internet connection?
Sound like a pretty bad deal for a vpn provider company tbh.

Edited ... by Random999

6 hours ago, Random999 said:

Do you also pause your internet connection?

If I need it, yes.
This is not a new concept, Cable TV companies and other subscription-based services have been offering temporary suspensions for decades.

5 hours ago, rock3716 said:

This is not a new concept, Cable TV companies and other subscription-based services have been offering temporary suspensions for decades.

First I've heard of that, to be honest. Can you give some links to ISPs where such an offer is explicitly advertised? I'm struggling to believe this is a thing.
The argument still stands: Even if there were ISPs offering it, I've never seen a server hoster offer such a thing. So Air would be forced to withdraw servers after some time if too many accounts do this for too long a time.

Can you give some links to ISPs where such an offer is explicitly advertised?

I don't recall seeing it explicitly advertised as a feature. It's more like an option to use if you need it.
How to cancel, pause, or move your Xfinity services
Pause Your Amazon Prime Membership

So Air would be forced to withdraw servers after some time if too many accounts do this for too long a time.

I would expect clients to behave like they do with other companies offering this option. I don't think they will take this action without a valid reason. Usually, they will only do so to address a temporary situation.

Hello!

The entire business model is based on avoiding pause & resume options to offer the best prices you can find in the world on equal grounds.
Additionally, as @Air4141841 noticed in part, some options OP advertised for competitors were available in AirVPN well before such competitors even existed.

@rock3716
And actually the competitor you tried to advertise offers prices which are between 19% and 100% higher than our prices, according to the plan you pick.

Due to multiple abuses in this thread correctly detected by community members, we once again remind you that explicit or hidden, surreptitious, shadowed advertising is forbidden and may cause permanent bans.

Kind regards