Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.173.112
VinXI

Wireguard constant disconnections on Android

On 8/18/2023 at 6:46 PM, overbuilt985 said:

Can you double confirm when your VPN disconnect,is Eddie had crashed and the server you connected to had issues at same day?
https://airvpn.org/issues/

I almost always use quick connect. Regardless, during my last WG failure to reconnect, there was no recorded issue to a server that I would've been connected to.

Finally,waiting 3 days.The server I connected going to maintenan.This time Eddie not crash,can check the log.Log show VPN always trying reconnect.The problem is when server shutdown Wireguard don’t know server cannot connect.Always show connect successfully,and waiting handshake update.Then handshake timeout,VPN try reconnect.This is infinite loop,connect always successful,the number of retries always reset to zero.This is not Eddie problem,it is Wireguard problem.This is happen in Quick connect too.Quick connect don’t know server cannot connect,always use same server.

I can confirm there are issues with Wireguard in general on Android. I used Eddie and Wireguard's official client. WG keeps losing connection way too often and in case of the official client -- permanently, without an attempt to reconnect.
With Eddie OpenVPN is many times more realiable than the WG connection.

Yes,Wireguard is really buggy.For now,I really don’t know how to avoid server shutdown,Wireguard won’t change other server.I don’t want every time pick up mobile is open Eddie and check log file ,make sure VPN is connected.I change to OpenVPN now.

Posted ... (edited)

I am personally also having this issue with the Eddie Android app while using Wireguard. No issues with OpenVPN. The app keeps disconnecting randomly after a couple hours or so.

I have no issues at all when using AirVPN through the official Wireguard App. Never experienced a disconnect from that. And I never had issues using the official apps of other VPN providers while using their built in Wireguard such as Mullvad. Would be convenient to just the official Eddie app on Android, but guess I'll wait until the issue is fixed.

Edited ... by Corin

I am a new user to Air (switching from mullvad) and I am also experiencing this issue with the Eddie client. Very frustrating. At the moment, almost any time I pick up the phone, the connection has been lost and Eddie failed/fails to reconnect. I have tried tinkering with many of the settings here, and I am still trying to understand what is happening and what settings may be helping. I partially rely on my phone to keep updated for work, so testing this during daylight hours is a risk I really can't be making throughout the day. The mullvad client was fully plug-and-play, though I do not know if it was actually using wireguard exclusively or not.

Hello!

As @overbuilt985 noted, this is a WireGuard problem (except for the crash reported by OP, which is under investigation). We and some of our customers managed to reproduce the issue even by using stand alone WireGuard "official" Android app.

@pandabearresurrection if the problem gets unbearable please consider to switch to OpenVPN at the moment. You can switch between WireGuard and OpenVPN by tapping the "VPN type" icon in the main view before you start a connection. Also make sure that "VPN Lock" is NOT enabled and that "Always on VPN" and "Block connections without VPN" system settings are on, please see https://airvpn.org/android/eddie/#step6

Kind regards

I run default Wireguard app shipped by Play Store on Android 13/Samsung and with all the settings okay (always on VPN, default MTU size of 1320, just the default shipped by AirVPN) I have a good experience, the connection is steady, barely disconnects, battery consumption is also OK. I have to note I put the Wireguard app on the whitelist for battery usage detector, as in allowed app to use battery in the background. Maybe there is some other setting from the phone / Android OS that produces this buggy disconnect?

I have the same issue.

29 Dec 2023 09:52:39 UTC [Error] WireGuard handshake expired. Connection will be terminated.
29 Dec 2023 09:52:39 UTC [Info] Waiting for VPN to fully disconnect before attempting reconnection.
29 Dec 2023 09:52:39 UTC [Warning] WireGuard: Disconnecting VPN
29 Dec 2023 09:52:39 UTC [Debug] VPNTunnel.clearContexts(): Clearing VPN contexts
29 Dec 2023 09:52:39 UTC [Warning] WireGuard: Successfully disconnected from VPN
29 Dec 2023 09:52:40 UTC [Info] Trying to reconnect VPN. Attempt 1 out of (infinite)
29 Dec 2023 09:52:40 UTC [Info] Local networks are exempted from the VPN
29 Dec 2023 09:52:40 UTC [Info] Network is connected to WIFI
29 Dec 2023 09:52:40 UTC [Debug] VPNService.networkStatusChanged() action: 'SYSTEM_RESUME'
29 Dec 2023 09:52:40 UTC [Info] WireGuardTunnel: successfully created a new WireGuard client
29 Dec 2023 09:52:40 UTC [Info] Setting MTU to 1320
29 Dec 2023 09:52:40 UTC [Info] Starting VPN thread
Eddie 3.0 Android 12
Happens every 30-60 minutes (when the handshake expires).
I CANNOT enable the Android setting "Block connections without a VPN" because this setting also blocks local network connections (192.168.x.x) even when allowed in Eddie.
Going to use OpenVPN but not preferable.