Not connected, Your IP: 3.139.90.131
flyinginsectapplepie

Eddie-CLI options not having any effect

I'm new to AirVPN, so I may be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I installed Eddie-CLI on an Ubuntu derivative, and it seems to be working fine, it connects, but for CLI options have no effect.

The client starts if I provide the username and password, but the --remember option seems to have no effect; the next time it runs, Eddie complains about the lack of credentials and closes.

I want to use Wireguard, which in my experience is must faster and more stable, but --mode.type="wireguard" seems to have no effect, when I press N it still connects to OpenVPN.

Am I doing something wrong? How do you get it to remember the credentials and connect through Wireguard?

E.g.:

Eddie-cli -login=[myusaername] -password=[mypassword] --mode.type="wireguard" --remember
. [date] - Eddie version: 2.21.8 / linux_aarch64, System: Linux, Name: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye), Versio
n: 11 (bullseye), Mono/.Net: 6.8.0.105 (Debian 6.8.0.105+dfsg-3.3~deb11u1 Sat Feb 18 21:38:24 UTC 2023); Framework: v4.0.3
. 2023.07.08 00:13:32 - Command line arguments (6): path.resources="/usr/share/eddie-cli" path.exec="/usr/bin/eddie-cli" l
ogin="[myusername" password="[mypassword]" mode.type="wireguard" remember="True"
. 2023.07.08 00:13:32 - Raise system privileges
. 2023.07.08 00:13:36 - Reading options from /home/pi/.config/eddie/default.profile
. 2023.07.08 00:13:41 - OpenVPN - Version: 2.5.1 - OpenSSL 1.1.1n  15 Mar 2022, LZO 2.10 (/usr/sbin/openvpn)

Hello!

The problems you experience are caused by various Eddie bugs. Please test Eddie 2.23.1, where several bugs have been fixed, including the bug causing the option --mode.type to be ignored or incorrectly parsed. Please see here:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/56428-eddie-desktop-223-beta-released/

Please feel free to keep us posted after you have tested the new Eddie.

Kind regards

Posted ... (edited)

Not only the experimental version doesn't fix this, it doesn't work at all. It now asks for the password 'to run elevated commands' at startup — it didn't before — and then just crashes.

eddie-cli -login=[mylogin] -password=[mypassword]
. [date] - Eddie version: 2.23.1 / linux_aarch64, System: Linux, Name: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye), Versio
n: 11 (bullseye), Mono/.Net: 6.8.0.105 (Debian 6.8.0.105+dfsg-3.3~deb11u1 Sat Feb 18 21:38:24 UTC 2023); Framework: v4.0.3
. 2023.07.08 14:50:34 - Command line arguments (4): path.resources="/usr/share/eddie-cli" path.exec="/usr/bin/eddie-cli" l
ogin="[mylogin]" password="[mypassword]"
. 2023.07.08 14:50:34 - Raise system privileges
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.airvpn.eddie.ui.elevated.policy ===
Authentication is required to run elevated commands of Eddie - VPN Tunnel
Authenticating as: ,,, ([username])
Password:  
polkit-agent-helper-1: error response to PolicyKit daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: No session
for cookie
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.
F 2023.07.08 14:50:41 - Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (already exit)
. 2023.07.08 14:50:41 - Shutdown in progress
. 2023.07.08 14:50:41 - Shutdown complete

Edited ... by flyinginsectapplepie

Hi, it's been a week, and I'm still here, still waiting for a solution.

And here's another question: how do I send eddie-cli to the background? Ctrl+Z and bg doesn't seem to work, I lose the connection; and neither does starting it with &, same result. Currently, I need to have a terminal running in ssh permanently in a separate computer, or I lose the connection. That's barely usable.

@flyinginsectapplepie

Hello!

The first problem:

polkit-agent-helper-1: error response to PolicyKit daemon: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: No session
for cookie
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

is self-explicative and it is under the attention of the development team. We might ask you for additional information, if possible please keep following this thread and thank you for your patience and testing.

12 hours ago, flyinginsectapplepie said:

how do I send eddie-cli to the background? Ctrl+Z and bg doesn't seem to work, I lose the connection;

It's expected and fine that CTRL-Z breaks the connection, because CTRL-Z STOPS the job, therefore OpenVPN or WireGuard can not keep the connection alive.

For a more comfortable environment with Eddie CLI, you can use screen or tmux - https://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ or https://www.howtogeek.com/671422/how-to-use-tmux-on-linux-and-why-its-better-than-screen/
They are both available in the Debian 11 repositories.

Kind regards

On 7/29/2023 at 4:25 PM, Staff said:

is self-explicative and it is under the attention of the development team. We might ask you for additional information, if possible please keep following this thread and thank you for your patience and testing.

The error may be self-explicative, but I can't know it's being looked into if no one says so. I will be following this thread. Thank you.

On 7/29/2023 at 4:25 PM, Staff said:

For a more comfortable environment with Eddie CLI, you can use screen or tmux

This was very useful advice. I was aware of multiplexers, but didn't know it could be used for this, that you can detach from a session and leave it running. You might want to mention this in your documentation. The way eddie-cli works isn't practical, it should run as a service, like all other VPN clients, but running it inside tmux makes it much more usable.

1 hour ago, flyinginsectapplepie said:
The error may be self-explicative, but I can't know it's being looked into if no one says so. I will be following this thread. Thank you.

Hello!

Thank YOU for the report and for your tests. Yes, the problem has been forwarded to the attention of the devs because of your report.

1 hour ago, flyinginsectapplepie said:

This was very useful advice. I was aware of multiplexers, but didn't know it could be used for this, that you can detach from a session and leave it running. You might want to mention this in your documentation.

Glad to hear it.

The way eddie-cli works isn't practical, it should run as a service, like all other VPN clients, but running it inside tmux makes it much more usable. 

If you prefer a different architecture, specifically a client-server one,  you can consider Bluetit and Goldcrest, components of the AirVPN Suite. Bluetit is a real daemon which you can configure via run control file and drive through Goldcrest (the client) and signals.

Unfortunately the Suite does not support WireGuard at the moment. However, if you don't need WireGuard, the Suite can replace Eddie CLI while the problems you reported are investigated. Those AirVPN Linux users who don't need a GUI and WireGuard are advised to use Bluetit and Goldcrest in order to have AirVPN infrastructure integration, higher comfort and a better security model provided by the specific client-server architecture.

You can find a thorough user's manual here: https://airvpn.org/suite/readme/
The download page is here: https://airvpn.org/linux/suite/
If you prefer to build the Suite from the source code: https://gitlab.com/AirVPN/AirVPN-Suite (build scripts and instructions are included)
Those who want to design their own client to operate Bluetit can consult the developer's reference manual which can be downloaded here in PDF: https://gitlab.com/AirVPN/AirVPN-Suite/-/blob/master/docs/Bluetit-Developers-Reference-Manual.pdf

Kind regards

16 hours ago, 20194 said:

Hello. Has this been fixed? I'm having the same problem right now.

Hello!

Two different problems are reported in this thread for Eddie 2.23.1, can you specify which one you're experiencing as well as your Linux distribution please? Can you also confirm that you're running Eddie 2.23.1?

Kind regards