Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.139.122
ProphetPX

Sony won lawsuit against Cox Cable ISP for copyright infringement -- HEADLINE: "Americans could be cut off from the internet over copyright claims"

Posted ... (edited)

Has anyone seen this news yet today??

Americans could be cut off from the internet over copyright claims

A court ruled that ISPs can avoid liability by kicking customers off the internet. The ruling is being challenged.

Correct me if i am wrong but IF AND WHEN an American uses a VPN to connect to another site, and they are connecting to a TUNNEL EXIT that is OUTSIDE of their home country, then their connection IS NOT, technically, "american", anymore, is it?

Edited ... by OpenSourcerer
Remove references to well-known fake news spreaders

Never ever post links to well-known fake news spreaders like Alex Jones. I'd put down that shit the millisecond I see it, everytime I see it.

The whole gist seems to be a dispute between Sony Music Entertainment and the ISP Cox Communications over the findings that Cox allegedly did virtually nothing to prevent customers from pirating music licensed by SME despite countless notices under the umbrella of the DMCA, which of course is a US law, so it applies to Cox. SME apparently successfully sued them over a billion dollars, to quote Forbes, "more than 10,000 musical works" for "$100,000 per pirated work". These numbers may of course be drastically overestimated and we can discuss that under the general question of how to reform copyright law, but if the discussion derails into one about censorship, it's game over for the discussion. Because copyright has nothing to do with freedom of speech. You've been enjoying the right to demonstrate and use the legal system to your advantage without violating licensing fees of music from [insert musician/band name here].
So, Cox appealed, and lost again. To lessen the financial damage it was proposed that Cox could theoretically cut internet services for "offenders" who ignore the notice from Cox and continue pirating content. A normal process of debate ensued because there might be collateral damage due to shared usage.

And that is what the headlines are about. They suggest it's censorship but omit that these things happen only to lines previously breaking the law. Normal discussion inflated to drama. Don't get emotional about it.

53 minutes ago, ProphetPX said:

Correct me if i am wrong but IF AND WHEN an American uses a VPN to connect to another site, and they are connecting to a TUNNEL EXIT that is OUTSIDE of their home country, then their connection IS NOT, technically, "american", anymore, is it?

A connection is not American, or Russian, or German. What counts is the IP showing up in the server's log file where what you view/download is located. In case of a VPN provider this would be the server exit IP.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

@ProphetPX

Hello!

The "graduated response" in the United States (aka "three strikes") was a voluntary agreement between ISPs and copyright holders to terminate the line of an alleged copyright infringer for several months or one year, without court order and inaudita altera parte (no right to defense ex ante) and put him/her in a black list so that he/she can't re-connect to the Internet with any other provider while he/she serves his/her sentence for the alleged, unproven behavior.

The agreement was followed by most if not all ISPs from 2011 to 2017, causing tens of thousand of controversial disconnections. However, it had no impact at all on on the amount of copyright infringements and it was abandoned in 2017.

Sony attempt might aim at transforming the abandoned voluntary agreement into an obligation by law as it is in France, New Zealand and South Korea for example, by eroding, through a legal precedent, the safe harbor liability exemptions in the USA for ISPs.

The graduated response is totally ineffective against those who protect their traffic behind serious VPN services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_response

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Copyright_Infringement_Liability_Limitation_Act

Kind regards

On 6/10/2021 at 11:44 AM, OpenSourcerer said:

Never ever post links to well-known fake news spreaders like Alex Jones. I'd put down that shit the millisecond I see it, everytime I see it.

Alex Jones is NOT "fake news" and neither he or his staff wrote the article.  They simply re-posted the article from ReclaimTheNet.

unless there is an official AirVPN rule against posting his content, i will keep posting it, when necessary.

On 6/21/2021 at 4:05 AM, Staff said:
@ProphetPX

Hello!

The "graduated response" in the United States (aka "three strikes") was a voluntary agreement between ISPs and copyright holders to terminate the line of an alleged copyright infringer for several months or one year, without court order and inaudita altera parte (no right to defense ex ante) and put him/her in a black list so that he/she can't re-connect to the Internet with any other provider while he/she serves his/her sentence for the alleged, unproven behavior.

The agreement was followed by most if not all ISPs from 2011 to 2017, causing tens of thousand of controversial disconnections. However, it had no impact at all on on the amount of copyright infringements and it was abandoned in 2017.

Sony attempt might aim at transforming the abandoned voluntary agreement into an obligation by law as it is in France, New Zealand and South Korea for example, by eroding, through a legal precedent, the safe harbor liability exemptions in the USA for ISPs.

The graduated response is totally ineffective against those who protect their traffic behind serious VPN services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_response

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Copyright_Infringement_Liability_Limitation_Act

Kind regards

Thank you!  that was very informative!!!!!

13 hours ago, ProphetPX said:

Alex Jones is NOT "fake news"

Wikipedia:
InfoWars is an American far-right conspiracy theory and fake news website owned by Alex Jones.

Jones told us to file a story that accused the police of harassment, lending credence to the theory that [Islamberg] contained dangerous, potential terrorists. I knew this wasn’t the case according to the information we had. We all did. Days before, we spoke to the sheriff and the mayor of Deposit, N.Y., a nearby municipality. They both told us the people in Islamberg were kind, generous neighbors who welcomed the surrounding community into their homes, even celebrating holidays together.

The information did not meet our expectations, so we made it up, preying on the vulnerable and feeding the prejudices and fears of Jones’s audience. We ignored certain facts, fabricated others and took situations out of context to fit our narrative, posting headlines like:

Drone Investigates Islamic Training Center

Shariah Law Zones Confirmed in America

Infowars Reporters Stalked by Terrorism Task Force

Report: Obama’s Terror Cells in the U.S.

The Rumors Are True: Shariah Law Is Here!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/magazine/alex-jones-infowars.html

13 hours ago, ProphetPX said:

unless there is an official AirVPN rule against posting his content, i will keep posting it, when necessary.

And I will keep removing it, possibly with post restrictions in tow. Such content is not welcome here, consider this a warning.

@OpenSourcerer

Just to clarify that this is not "fake news":
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/06/if-not-overturned-bad-copyright-decision-will-lead-many-americans-lose-internet

I will keep removing it, possibly with post restrictions in tow. Such content is not welcome here, consider this a warning.

A moderator can not threaten an ex ante, pre determined censorship based on the source of the information, be it a web site or anything else. Before you enforce your censorship power we gave you, you must cross-check and verify. If you are not able to do so beyond a reasonable doubt, or you have not the time or will to do so, do not censor.

Kind regards

People, please be very careful with the information on this website. Don't believe everything you read on there. Always cross-check!

@monstrocity

Hello!

The errors and embezzlement caused by bogus copyright notices are notorious since 2008 at least. That's a decisive reason to understand how the graduated response must include the constitutional right to a due process, and that each copyright infringement claim must be validated or rejected by a court, if the alleged infringer wants to exercise her fundamental right to a due process with presumption of innocence.

How bogus notices can be sent, and how a malicious user knowing your IP address can trivially cause an arbitrary amount of copyright notices to be sent to you, was well explained many years ago in the scientific paper "Why my printer received a DMCA takedown notice".
http://dmca.cs.washington.edu/uwcse_dmca_tr.pdf

The fact that, in spite of all the above, various companies still dream of automated graduated response and deletion of the right to a due process and the right to legal defense shows, in our opinion, the mental imbalance of certain persons and the hidden agenda to keep making money with bogus activities: business for companies which offer their services to monitor p2p swarms and automatically generate notices was quite big years ago. And it's also sad to see, when citizens defend the copyright mafia graduated response concept, how easily many citizens are inclined to renounce to fundamental, human rights.

@ProphetPX

The news you reported seem to be confirmed independently by TorrentFreak, which published a day earlier:
https://torrentfreak.com/comcast-suspends-internet-connection-for-downloading-torrents-210630/

Kind regards

yes i know, thank you.  i am not THAT big a fan of Alex Jones.  Theologically he is a huge turd.  But geopolitically, he is almost always on target.  At least 85% of the time.