Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.2.15
Sign in to follow this  
nobody12321

Blocking bit torrent when not connected to airvpn

@nobody12321

EDIT:

I uninstalled nod32 and went with Comodo's internet suite. Once again' date=' it fails to block programs that it's supposed to block.[/quote']

Hello!

If the incompatibility issues are solved for sure, then chances are that you have rules with precedence, please make sure to put the blocking rules for your torrent client before the allow rules, if any (just "move up" the rules).

I really don't understand why you think that program is any good.

Independent peer reviews are important. You can't assume that Comodo pays all the researchers in the world. The following tests, just to make an example, are very important in terms of pro-active security and leaks:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php

Anyway, under a general point of view, you are right, personal software firewalls for Windows have very low quality if compared to free and open source products in other OS. Perhaps this is just a consequence of the Windows OS design and its closeness.

Also, I can't find anything on google that suggests that private firewall is capable of blocking ip ranges.

You can set a netmask for each IP address you specify (at least Privatefirewall version 7.0.28.1 has this option). You might like to ask for support in their forum.

Kind regards

@nobody12321

EDIT:

I uninstalled nod32 and went with Comodo's internet suite. Once again' date=' it fails to block programs that it's supposed to block.[/quote']

Hello!

If the incompatibility issues are solved for sure, then chances are that you have rules with precedence, please make sure to put the blocking rules for your torrent client before the allow rules, if any (just "move up" the rules).

I did. I set it to block EVERYTHING. It still doesn't block. Eset firewall seems to block bit torrent, but its firewall is by far the most complicated I've ever seen in my life. You'd need a PhD in rocketry to figure it out. It can reliably block bit torrent completely, but I personally can't figure out how to make it allow only the VPN's ip range. So I still don't have a solution.

I really don't understand why you think that program is any good.

Independent peer reviews are important. You can't assume that Comodo pays all the researchers in the world. The following tests' date=' just to make an example, are very important in terms of pro-active security and leaks:

Anyway, under a general point of view, you are right, personal software firewalls for Windows have very low quality if compared to free and open source products in other OS. Perhaps this is just a consequence of the Windows OS design and its closeness.

Also, I can't find anything on google that suggests that private firewall is capable of blocking ip ranges.

You can set a netmask for each IP address you specify (at least Privatefirewall version 7.0.28.1 has this option).

Kind regards[/quote']

I don't want to allow only ip addresses. I want to allow the vpn's ip range (10.4.0.0-10.9.255.255)

use http://www.ugdsoft.com/products/vpnwatcher and sleep well while downloading. I've ignored that in the first place and paid $3,400 to Copyrights Trolls

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the same would have happened to me if I used Comodo without double checking bit torrent's transfer stats.

I can't seem to get vpn watcher to work. How must it be set up? The website doesn't have very detailed instructions.

You can set a netmask for each IP address you specify (at least Privatefirewall version 7.0.28.1 has this option).

I don't want to allow only ip addresses. I want to allow the vpn's ip range (10.4.0.0-10.9.255.255)

Hello!

Yes, you had the answer already. You can set a netmask for each IP address to approximate the IP range. For example 10.0.0.0 NetMask 255.240.0.0 is 10.0.0.0->10.15.255.255 (in CIDR notation: 10.0.0.0/12).

Kind regards

I did. I set it to block EVERYTHING. It still doesn't block.

Hello!

You mean you set the Comodo firewall in "Block All" mode and it did not block ANY outgoing or incoming packet? Also, please make sure that when you define your rules, you set the firewall security level to "Custom Policy". You might like to check your traffic with Wireshark.

Kind regards

No, I set it to block only bit torrent and it failed to block it, but that doesn't matter anymore. I'm not using it any longer. Eset works and blocks bit torrent properly. However, eset's firewall is too complicated for me to set rules so that it only blocks bit torrent when air is down. As of now, it either blocks or doesn't.

Private firewall doesn't block ranges, only single addresses.

Is there another program I can use to block bit torrent when airvpn is offline?

No, I set it to block only bit torrent and it failed to block it,

Hello!

This is the reason for which you wrongly reported that Comodo does "not block": you did not activate it. Please make sure to set Comodo "Firewall Security Level" to "Custom Policy". If "Firewall Security Policy" is set to "Training Mode", "Disabled" or "Safe Mode", the custom rules are not applied.

Private firewall doesn't block ranges, only single addresses.

Pirvatefirewall supports IP ranges. Just specify a NetMask, please see the previous message for an explanation.

Is there another program I can use to block bit torrent when airvpn is offline?

Basically, any firewall that deserves to be called a firewall can do the job. However, the only firewall we recommend for Windows is Comodo, due to severe outgoing leaks and insufficient pro-active security suffered by any other firewall for Windows (in particular on 64 bit systems).

You can get a list of firewalls here, all of them checked with 110 significant tests which try to provoke leaks:

For your security, we recommend to avoid firewalls with a Product Score lower than 90%.

Please refer to this post in order to set Comodo rules:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=3405&Itemid=142

Kind regards

use http://www.ugdsoft.com/products/vpnwatcher and sleep well while downloading. I've ignored that in the first place and paid $3,400 to Copyrights Trolls

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the same would have happened to me if I used Comodo without double checking bit torrent's transfer stats.

I can't seem to get vpn watcher to work. How must it be set up? The website doesn't have very detailed instructions.

How did you end up paying that sum? Look here......might be a different version of VPN watcher........How to Shut Down uTorrent Automatically When Your VPN Disconnects | TorrentFreak and in the Advanced Settings put there the AIr DNS servers that you use(10.x.x.x).  Consult with AirVPN first if more help is needed or my solution not to your liking.

Regards,

Flex