Not connected, Your IP: 44.221.83.121
El.Presidente

Zyxel Speedlink 5501 as Alternative to Eddie possible?

Hi Guys,

since End of 2017 I'm Online with AirVPN, after disable IP6 its working really good on my Linux Mint 18.3 System, but its time to protect the others in my Lan too, like 2nd PC, Android Devices etc.

I think that the best would be to do it on my Router but i cannot find something whats understandable. At one Point i'd read the Speedlink 5501 cannot handle VPN, other said i need additional Hardware.

Does anyone know wether it is possible to stop using the Client on the PC or Cellphone and let the Router handle it all, does this make sense and what exactly have the Router to do / Features etc.

I read about VPN Router, what is it, can i use AirVPN on it? Do i need it?

Hope you can help me.

Greets

I have the GL-MT300A mini router attached to my modem/router via its ethernet port.

They are £20 odd and available from amazon.

You can upload openVPN configuration files to this router generated by the airvpn control panel.

I have:

"Ovpn configuration files
     #    Name    Server IP    
*    1    AirVPN_Netherlands_TCP-443.ovpn    nl.vpn.airdns.org:443    
    2    AirVPN_Sweden_UDP-443.ovpn    se.vpn.airdns.org:443    
    3    AirVPN_United-Kingdom_UDP-443.ovpn    gb.vpn.airdns.org:443"

which i can select depending on what country i want to be seen to be in,

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Hello!

Does anyone know wether it is possible to stop using the Client on the PC or Cellphone and let the Router handle it all, does this make sense and what exactly have the Router to do / Features etc.

It is possible and common. Air allows 5 connections per account, so you could install Eddie on the 2nd PC too; if you can install Eddie and create a hotspot, you could also connect your phones to that hotspot and their traffic would go through Air as well. But if as you say this is neither enough nor satisfactory, such as if you don't want to install a client on mobile, then you can use a router to do the job. Then you can also connect more than 5 items. You need a router with a good CPU, supported by any router software you want to use such as DD-WRT and ideally support for AES-NI. Since most consumer routers are quite weak, that's the reason you probably heard the marketing term "VPN router", as some routers are more suitable than others. But in principle, any computer can be turned into a router, with the right software, such as pfSense. If you're ambitious, you could consider a Turris Omnia, which has superior router hardware to consumer routers.

I read about VPN Router, what is it, can i use AirVPN on it? Do i need it?

You need a router with decent hardware and software so if you want good performance, then yes you need it.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I ve used 3 different routers til now. 2 are TP-Link (wdr-3600. wdr-4300), 1 is Linksys E900. I converted them to "dd-wrt" machines via *.bin available at the dd-wrt site. All 3 perform well enough for my needs and LAN however I dont have the fastest lines available. The 2 TP-Link models are discontinued. The Linksys is a cheapo 30 bucks router (has no USB). All 3 are behind the providers router, connected with a LAN-cable.

In general it is  said that TP-Link routers work well w dd-wrt; unfortunately you have to read a bit on their wiki site. Generally easily available in Germany.

In regards to your Zyxel model: If your stock firmware supports "VPN-clients"-mode ...yes ..... See the AIRvpn tutorial on dd-wrt how to configure. Seems your model is a bit problematic (just looked quickly), in this case perhaps easier to buy a second router from Amazon or alike.

I have the GL-MT300A mini router attached to my modem/router via its ethernet port.

They are £20 odd and available from amazon.

You can upload openVPN configuration files to this router generated by the airvpn control panel.

I have:

"Ovpn configuration files

#    Name    Server IP    

*    1    AirVPN_Netherlands_TCP-443.ovpn    nl.vpn.airdns.org:443    

2    AirVPN_Sweden_UDP-443.ovpn    se.vpn.airdns.org:443    

3    AirVPN_United-Kingdom_UDP-443.ovpn    gb.vpn.airdns.org:443"

which i can select depending on what country i want to be seen to be in,

Its a while Ago i started this Thread, had a lot to do in the last weeks.

I wanna use the Method as trott3r said. Is this the correct Mini-Router i have to order to do it as you said?

https://www.amazon.de/GL-iNet-GL-MT300A-Pre-installed-Performance-Programmable/dp/B01DBS5Z0W

Greets