Not connected, Your IP: 18.224.44.108
Sign in to follow this  
czacha994

How about 10gbit servers ?

Hello,

I'd like to know AirVPNs staff and users opinion about adding high speed 10gbit servers (well, and its suggestion that AirVPN could add something like that). Connection speeds around the world are constantly getting faster so why not faster VPN ? Even some VPN providers offer 10gbit servers. Some heavier users would be super happy to have those. Is it even possible to achieve speeds like that with tunnel ? What do you think about it ?

You've hit the right note, perhaps untimely.

Our favorite VPN has been furiously expanding and modernizing servers. 

Result: Great Privacy Philosophy + expanding server options + reasonable price, equal great service. 

Love to see 10gb servers. 

But, at what implementation costs and what future user charges.  

Great to let staff know we care about every aspect. 

Been a user several years:  Still happy. 

10gbit servers are not so practical for a VPN provider, since the CPU will

cap it's limit with OpenVPN already on full 1gbit speed and it will become a

real bottleneck. The current redundancy does not really require that, as most

servers bandwidth remains unused. In this case a much better option is to

have 10 1gbit servers instead of 1 server with 10gbit.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I can't think of any scenario where I would ever need a 10 Gbit/s VPN. I would certainly not be willing to pay extra for it.

Hello,

the problem is correctly framed by zhang888. With AES-NI supporting processors, we hit a limit of about 900 Mbit/s with AES-256-CBC.

The next potential breakthroughs towards VPN servers connected to 10 Gbit/s ports are:

1) a correct evaluation of the processing power lift with AES-256-GCM, when the majority of our customers will move to OpenVPN 2.4 (we need 2.4 because we need AES-256-GCM even and especially on the Data Channel, not only on the Control Channel, but we can't of course break compatibility with the many persons using OpenVPN versions older than 2.4)

2) the next OpenVPN 3 (release date is uncertain) which will finally use concurrent routines and libraries not to remained confined into one thread of one core. OpenVPN 3 might open new scenarios on the server side even when a significant percentage of clients run older OpenVPN versions.

Kind regards

On 11/26/2017 at 9:30 AM, wunderbar said:

I can't think of any scenario where I would ever need a 10 Gbit/s VPN. I would certainly not be willing to pay extra for it.

this is a great quote, and can't wait to look at it later.
"640kB ought to be enough for everybody"

8 hours ago, censored said:
this is a great quote, and can't wait to look at it later.
"640kB ought to be enough for everybody"

At some point in  time 10 gig will make sense (for home users this is), no question asked, but thats something we wont see in the near future. Damn im still stuck on copper (vdsl) lol.
Lets meet again in 10 years :D