Not connected, Your IP: 13.59.236.219
notarealperson

ANSWERED Torrenting kills UK Virgin Media connection

Hi! The title says it all, really. AirVPN works fantastically until I start trying to use qBittorrent. Within 5 minutes of something downloading, the up/down speeds drop to 0, until the connection is restarted.

I've tried changing the protocol to various SSL and SHH ports, unfortunately to no avail. I'm wondering what's catching me out here, and if there's any way around it? Virgin Media shouldn't be able to see the content of the web traffic because of the VPN, and so, how is it only disconnecting when a torrent downloads?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I'm using the lEddie 2.12.4 on Windows 10 x64, and qBittorrent with port forwarding set up on AirVPN.

Turn off utp in qbittorrent.  If that doesn't help its the router from you ISP.  Some routers just can't handle all the connections that torrent clients make.

1. Restart all routers.

2. Get qbittorrent 3.4.0 beta

3. Make sure to configure the proper forwarded port which you have forwarded on AirVPN. Turn off UPnP.

4. Bind the correct IP in advanced setting. The IP is listed in stats on eddie client as "VPN IP". This IP is always the same for the respective server, so if you connect to the same server every time, you can just leave the setting and it will always work. If you are not connected to a VPN or you connect to another server, you will need to change this and restart qBittorrent.

4. Do NOT bind the adapter, leave it as "any adapters" or else it will not work. (tested)

4. Properly configure max upload speed, max connections etc. depending on your max raw upload speed. http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html

5. Enable logs (View-->Log-->Show)

6. Restart qBittorrent.

7. Look at the logs and make sure it has no red lines and your external ip address matches the VPN server's. You can check to make sure if you'd like using magnet link on https://ipleak.net/

8. Take a look at the bottom DHT: x nodes and the plug picture. If everything is normal, DHT nodes should go up when you start your torrent client and the plug turn green. If DHT nodes stay at 0, try restarting the qBittorrent client or switch between "General" and "Peers" tab (this usually works for me, it's been a known bug for a long time).

You can always make sure your configured port is working on while running qBittorrent http://canyouseeme.org/

urn off utp in qbittorrent.  If that doesn't help its the router from you ISP.  Some routers just can't handle all the connections that torrent clients make.

Hi guys, just wanted to give a quick update on this -- turning off uTP fixed it. Thanks very much, go558a83nk, that'd been getting to me for weeks!

Isn't uTP something that slows bittorrent connections down so they don't interfere with other programs? Why would this cause the VPN connection to shut down like it did? Just curious!

Thnx again

urn off utp in qbittorrent.  If that doesn't help its the router from you ISP.  Some routers just can't handle all the connections that torrent clients make.

Hi guys, just wanted to give a quick update on this -- turning off uTP fixed it. Thanks very much, go558a83nk, that'd been getting to me for weeks!

Isn't uTP something that slows bittorrent connections down so they don't interfere with other programs? Why would this cause the VPN connection to shut down like it did? Just curious!

Thnx again

uTP is UDP .  Some routers just don't like all the UDP connections. 

Turn off utp in qbittorrent.  If that doesn't help its the router from you ISP.  Some routers just can't handle all the connections that torrent clients make

Hello!

This is a bizarre explanation for the issue because if there are no leaks (which may well occur with UPnP enabled and Network Lock disabled) it doesn't matter whether the torrent client establishes one or a hundred thousand half-open TCP connections, your router will see only ONE stream (the unique connection necessary for the tunnel between your node and the VPN server).

Anything from qBittorrent (and any other application) is wrapped by OpenVPN (in UDP or TCP) and your router does not even see it. Anything lying under is re-ordered, unwrapped and decrypted in the VPN server only.

The huge difference is in the TCP/IP stack of the system running qBittorrent.

Kind regards

Turn off utp in qbittorrent.  If that doesn't help its the router from you ISP.  Some routers just can't handle all the connections that torrent clients make

Hello!

This is a bizarre explanation for the issue because if there are no leaks (which may well occur with UPnP enabled and Network Lock disabled) it doesn't matter whether the torrent client establishes one or a hundred thousand half-open TCP connections, your router will see only ONE stream (the unique connection necessary for the tunnel between your node and the VPN server).

Anything from qBittorrent (and any other application) is wrapped by OpenVPN (in UDP or TCP) and your router does not even see it. Anything lying under is re-ordered, unwrapped and decrypted in the VPN server only.

The huge difference is in the TCP/IP stack of the system running qBittorrent.

Kind regards

Thanks for the input, both. I was thinking the same myself -- that the router would only see one connection with a VPN. Can anyone clarify why uTP being disabled would then, somehow, stop the connection from failing? Bear in mind that it wasn't the router failing or  entire link between the router and laptop.. as soon as the VPN connection restarted it'd work again for a few mins.

In any case; it's all working now, and I appreciate everyone's help in getting this sorted. Thanks a lot