Not connected, Your IP: 54.198.37.250
zenryou

Can't really recommend it....

I mainly keep using it because what choice do I really have where privacy is concerned.

Very slow download speeds, good luck if you have to downloading anything via torrent.  I maybe get a fraction of a percent of my maximum download when any sort of p2p download is required.  For example game launchers, updates, etc.

Port is opened and everything is set up correctly.  What else can you really do besides open a port and install the client.  Downloads through SSL etc get good speeds, bu t I don't need that as much.

Update:

I'm gonna put the blame on my ISP.  I called them and complained and now my speed is magically better.  Maybe coincidence, but it's been like this since forever, can't really complain now I guess.

[

Maybe someone can delete this topic now lol.  I honestly didn't think it was my ISP, I don't know how they are throttling but they were it appears.

Sounds like a bad config or under powered hardware. Post more details or we can't help. My torrents etc max my 300mb line out.

Definitely not hardware related, through airvpn if I'm using something like usenet I can get 40+ MB/sec.  Torrents are like 200-700k.  There's really nothing to set up, I don't believe there are any magical settings.  Set up a client to use an open port, which it tests as open, then do a few more clicks, that's really it.  I'm not buying that it's a setup problem.

Since you asked though, I'm using a 2600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB gskill, NAS drive for downloads, r9 390 but that's irrelevant.  Speedof.me shows me at 370 Megabits/sec down.  If I configured everything wrong I still shouldn't get 200k down on a torrent, it's just ridiculous.  Especially since if I download without a VPN I get like 35 MB/sec usually.

Why are you against using SSL? Does your CPU have AES-NI? Have you tried changing the send/receive buffer size?

If you're seeing 40megabytes/second on usenet over VPN then its clearly not an Air related problem, and its not a hardware related problem. Theres certainly others with way more knowledge than me when it comes to torrenting but if your perf issues are limited to torrents its could be very well related to peering to the trackers swarm, supported by your performance when connected directly to your ISP. Have you tried other end points in the AirVPN pool?  

Why are you against using SSL? Does your CPU have AES-NI? Have you tried changing the send/receive buffer size?

sorry should have been more clear.  Using SSL usenet I get good speeds.  I don't have much use for a vpn(none really) while using usenet though as I use SSL already.

If you're seeing 40megabytes/second on usenet over VPN then its clearly not an Air related problem, and its not a hardware related problem. Theres certainly others with way more knowledge than me when it comes to torrenting but if your perf issues are limited to torrents its could be very well related to peering to the trackers swarm, supported by your performance when connected directly to your ISP. Have you tried other end points in the AirVPN pool?  

I've tried a bunch of different countries/servers and if I just disconnect from vpn while I have to download through torrents I get very fast speeds.  I would have to say it's something about airVPN that is not working correctly.  You should be able to just use purposefully wrong settings and get a better download speed than 200k on a 370 mbit line.

Hello!

What torrent client are you using? And did you configure it?

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

The thought I have is what torrent.  It makes no sense to blame Air when you get good speeds otherwise. 

Every torrent gets the exact same speed range.  Like I said I can disable VPN and instantly the speed shoots up towards my d/l limit.

Have you tried different settings?

The default ones aren't always the best for you

im not sure you could configure it badly enough to see a drop from 40MB/s to 200kb/s - although I'd never say never. 

Is this with all trackers too OP?

yeah, it's with whatever.  It isn't the torrent because I can just disable the vpn and the speed shoots up fast as hell.  It's something wrong with airvpn itself imo.  The settings in a torrent client are very basic, you can't really screw them up if you put a minute of thought into them.  I'd be willing to blame my ISP for throttling but it's not some magical torrent client checkbox.

Im honestly out of ideas to help, other than your port forward is basically barfed, perhaps lying to you about really being open. Ive used airvpn for a number of years with numerous trackers, public and private and a number of clients and never seen what you are seeing. Theres also a good number of users who aren't seeing the same behaviour, sorry i can't help. 

Can you validate with another VPN provider? Might shine a light on root cause.

yeah, it's with whatever. It isn't the torrent because I can just disable the vpn and the speed shoots up fast as hell. It's something wrong with airvpn itself imo. The settings in a torrent client are very basic, you can't really screw them up if you put a minute of thought into them. I'd be willing to blame my ISP for throttling but it's not some magical torrent client checkbox.

I think there's a misunderstanding here. When I say try different settings I mean in the AirVPN client.

I'm gonna put the blame on my ISP.  I called them and complained and now my speed is magically better.  Maybe coincidence, but it's been like this since forever, can't really complain now I guess.

[

Maybe someone can delete this topic now lol.  I honestly didn't think it was my ISP, I don't know how they are throttling but they were it appears.

For some people, switching to vanilla OpenVPN did turn things for the better. I've been using a close-to-vanilla OpenVPN client on Windows in the past and am now using vanilla OpenVPN on Linux. I max out my connection (50/10 Mbit).

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.