Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.161.165
rmathes

ANSWERED new to VPN, trying to make this work now speeds are terrific

hey folks, this is my first attempt to run a VPN. I'm running on a Macbook Pro using the latest version of Sierra. I have Time Warner cable modem Internet service (in Austin, TX) and when I'm not connected to the VPN I average 260 meg down/20 meg up.  When connected my speeds were decimated, like under 10 meg down. I found a thread on this forum that had a few tips. Increased max packet size to 512, selected UDP 53 as the protocol and now I'm up to around 40 meg down/10 meg up, but that's still too much of a performance price to pay for this privacy.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for improving performance? I'd like to make this work, and if I could get it to where I was losing only about 10-15% performance I could live with that. But I can't lose 75%. For my work I do a lot of Skype video calling and need a robust connection. 

I appreciate any suggestions anyone has. Maybe this just isn't for me and I'll have to get a refund and close the account, but I'd love to make this work if possible. Thank you.

Hi and welcome!

You should try other ports and protocols, especially TCP443, SSH22 and SSL443 (also ports above 10,000 TCP/UDP).

Also just because a server is geographically close doesn't mean it's the fastest one so make sure to try different servers even foreign ones.

Some American people have reported that they have good speeds with Canadian or even Dutch servers!

It's a process of error and trial

Hope it helps.

Thank you Nick. One question: when I'm trying other ports, should I select only one protocol at a time or enable multiple?

I'm in Texas, right now the recommended servers are all in Toronto for me. The display indicates those are the highest ranked alternatives in terms of speed. So from my layman's perspective I'm selecting the server that the system thinks is the fastest, and still getting these slow speeds. I'm not sure on what basis I'd choose other servers other than randomly selecting them to see what happens. And give that their load varies (I'm assuming), what's fast today could be slow tomorrow.

I want to make this work - and - I can't make this another full time job trying to get it to work and keep it working.

Thank you Nick. One question: when I'm trying other ports, should I select only one protocol at a time or enable multiple?

I'm in Texas, right now the recommended servers are all in Toronto for me. The display indicates those are the highest ranked alternatives in terms of speed. So from my layman's perspective I'm selecting the server that the system thinks is the fastest, and still getting these slow speeds. I'm not sure on what basis I'd choose other servers other than randomly selecting them to see what happens. And give that their load varies (I'm assuming), what's fast today could be slow tomorrow.

I want to make this work - and - I can't make this another full time job trying to get it to work and keep it working.

if you're testing Toronto speeds no wonder you're not happy.  Connect to Tonatiuh, Draco, and one of the others in Dallas (that's three different datacenters) and try things out. 

Ok, now we're getting somewhere! I just figured the system was telling me what the fastest servers for me were going to be, so was going with their recommendation. I selected the Dallas server with the lowest ping time (Tonatiuh, where do they come up with these names?) and now I'm getting 109 down/14 up. So I'm still taking about a 60% performance hit versus not using the VPN, but I can function at these speeds.

Then re protocols, should I only have one selected, or should I select multiples?

Would still like to see these speeds get to where I'm paying no more than a 20% tax on performance, if possible.

And now that server kicked me off, experiencing packet loss, and now I can't find another server to get me over 40 meg down. Upload speeds are pretty good but downloads are terrible.

ugh.

And now that server kicked me off, experiencing packet loss, and now I can't find another server to get me over 40 meg down. Upload speeds are pretty good but downloads are terrible.

ugh.

the other Dallas servers aren't good?  Unfortunately, Tonatiuh has just been withdrawn.  It had some problems over its short life but for me and many it had the best routing.  Sounds like it was best for you too.

Hello!

Welcome to AirVPN!

It would be nice if you posted the logs, when you get kicked off. There's also a status page on this site, for seeing which servers may or may not have issues.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

So I'm now on Alnair. Tested various protocols, results were middling. Randomly selected the OpenVPN protocol and boom, I'm consistently getting download speeds over 150meg, and occasionally over 200. I'm totally good with that, if it persists. So, fingers crossed.

One question for you guys: on the Servers tab there's a "lock current" checkbox. I'm assuming that tells the system 'keep me on the server I'm on right now'. Does that make sense to check once I find a setup that is working well? Or, does server performance vary to the point that selecting that then locks me into that server even when it's performance worsens?

It's very cool that I'm doing all my normal stuff and not seeing any change in performance. Haven't tried a skype video call yet while logged in, but everything else is fine. Would love to make this work and give this joint some money on a regular basis.  Now I gotta figure out how to use it on my iPhone.

So I'm now on Alnair. Tested various protocols, results were middling. Randomly selected the OpenVPN protocol and boom, I'm consistently getting download speeds over 150meg, and occasionally over 200. I'm totally good with that, if it persists. So, fingers crossed.

One question for you guys: on the Servers tab there's a "lock current" checkbox. I'm assuming that tells the system 'keep me on the server I'm on right now'. Does that make sense to check once I find a setup that is working well? Or, does server performance vary to the point that selecting that then locks me into that server even when it's performance worsens?

It's very cool that I'm doing all my normal stuff and not seeing any change in performance. Haven't tried a skype video call yet while logged in, but everything else is fine. Would love to make this work and give this joint some money on a regular basis.  Now I gotta figure out how to use it on my iPhone.

yes, I'd lock current if that server is working for you.

thank you for the lock recommendation. And is it working for me? I'm running speed tests every hour or so to check on how it looks. Last few, my throughput has been MORE than it usually is when not connected to a VPN. Not sure how that happens, but wow.

So far, this is absolutely terrific. I'm getting the security of the AirVPN solution with no performance hit. I'll see how a Skype video session goes when I'm back in the clinic on Monday, but so far I'm exceptionally pleased. I'm really grateful for the help I got here this morning. I'm a longstanding member of another forum where we've been talking about security steps to take in the wake of the House bill, and VPNs have been a topic of discussion. I've just given AirVPN a strong recommendation. 

And getting it setup on my phone was pretty straightforward. Had to google to find the steps. Put the OpenVPN app on my phone, generated the config file and boom, I'm off and running. Speed test without VPN, about 49 down/20 up. On the VPN, 40 down/20 up. I'll take it.

thanks again folks.

Remember to make use of your referral link now, if you want to add a little cash to your subscription .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.