Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.83.150
Sign in to follow this  
e204zion

Timezone, Ping, Hostname vulns

AirVpn has been my go-to for many successful months. I've noticed 3 things that make our connection more obvious which neednt be.

​1. Time Zone disparity.

pzKenVa.png

2.Ping disparity

hni7wOu.png

&

RtwyUJr.png

3. The hostname "airvpn.org" appears in the connection, and could be masked(xyz.org) instead.

Timezone - change it manually or with a browser addon like Random Agent Spoofer on Firefox. Nothing can be done about that server side.

Ping - a very vague way to determine anything, if you are on a 3G/LTE connection that number will vary as well. Ignore it.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Why do you think that a connection to a VPN should be hidden to a final service?

A couple of thoughts to start an intriguing discussion, if you wish so.

If a final service discriminates against Tor and "consumers VPN with a gateway to the Internet" it may mean that it has some interest in infringing human rights (privacy is one of the most fundamental rights) for some reason, for example exploiting you as a product by selling your personal data or even for more sinister aims.

If the final service does that to mitigate frauds, it's its right, and it means that it considers you a criminal just because you care to effectively exercise your fundamental right.

On top of all of the above, whatever the reason is, a service that acts like that is an active enemy of the Internet, because it happily violates the founding and critical end-to-end connectivity principle.

Kind regards