Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.1.232

Hi, I am a newbie, I only have a three day subscription.

I have looked at all the tutorials but cannot make heads or tails of them.

I use windows 10, and would love to know how to switch air vpn on, and off again, depending on what I am doing.

I am pleased to meet you all.

Hello!

Welcome to AirVPN!

Just download the Eddie client and click the "Disconnect" button when you don't want to use it anymore.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hi all and thanks for your replies.

What do you mean switch it on and off? disconnect and turn off network lock to turn it off?

Sorry, what I meant was, I used to use Private Internet Access and you could just connect and disconnect whenever you wanted, depending on whether you wanted to use the vpn or just surf normally.

I can't figure out what to do now that I have installed airvpn_windows8_x64_installer. I use windows 10 but I understand that airvpn_windows8_x64_installer is ok to download onto windows 10 operating systems.

Hello!

Welcome to AirVPN!

Just download the Eddie client and click the "Disconnect" button when you don't want to use it anymore.

Hi, sorry it's all double dutch to me, what is Eddie the client please?

I downloaded airvpn_windows8_x64_installer

I bought the three day premium for one euro.

I tried to follow the instructions on what continent to surf from and whether I wanted TCP or UDP (I don't know what those are)

thanks in advance.

What do you mean switch it on and off? disconnect and turn off network lock to turn it off?

Sorry, what I meant was, I used to use Private Internet Access and you could just connect and disconnect whenever you wanted, depending on whether you wanted to use the vpn or just surf normally.

I can't figure out what to do now that I have installed airvpn_windows8_x64_installer. I use windows 10 but I understand that airvpn_windows8_x64_installer is ok to download onto windows 10 operating systems.

>

Hello!

Welcome to AirVPN!

I tried to follow the instructions on what continent to surf from and whether I wanted TCP or UDP (I don't know what those are)

thanks in advance.

a new version of the AirVPN software was just released today.  you might find it more user friendly.

>

Hello!

Welcome to AirVPN!

thanks in advance.

I'm still a little confused. if you wanted to browse through the web with the VPN just connect with the network lock. if you wanted to browse normal just disconnect and then either turn off the network lock (which blocks all traffic outside of vpn) or just close the client.

I'm still a little confused. if you wanted to browse through the web with the VPN just connect with the network lock. if you wanted to browse normal just disconnect and then either turn off the network lock (which blocks all traffic outside of vpn) or just close the client.

>>

Hello!

Welcome to AirVPN!

thanks in advance.

Thanks, where do I find the network lock. I've looked through the help files but am just totaly confused.

My three day premium package expires tomorrow, I don't want to, at this stage, purchase any more, so do I just uninstall it in "Add or remove programs"

Network Lock is a feature of the Eddie client software which you (normally) download when using AirVPN.

You also don't have to worry about TCP/UDP or where to surf from.

And yes you can uninstall the AirVPN Eddie software as you normally would with any other software .

You could also check the new user guide in my signature.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Network Lock is a feature of the Eddie client software which you (normally) download when using AirVPN.

You also don't have to worry about TCP/UDP or where to surf from.

And yes you can uninstall the AirVPN Eddie software as you normally would with any other software .

You could also check the new user guide in my signature.

Hi, thanks for your post.

Unfortunately, tech stuff totally confuses me.

My one Euro three day subscription expires at 2am GMT time and it turns out I wont need it at this stage.

I never downloaded Eddie the client cos I did not know what it was.

Will I be able to just uninstall the vpn from 'add or remove programs' and will everything just go back to normal?

I can't make heads or tails of the tech stuff, thanks.

If you didn't download it and you find tech stuff hard, what do you have to un-install? It sounds like you never installed anything to begin with.

Eddie is the codename for the AirVPN software that you need to use the VPN.

Simply creating an account on this site and paying 1 euro, as it sounds like you've done, does not mean you're using the VPN.

You download from here. Simply pick the relevant system that you have, such as Windows 10 in your case and then click the big blue download button.

After installing the software, open it, login and click "Connect to a recommended server", as seen here:

welcome.png

That's it. Then you would be using the VPN. No need to worry about which continent to surf from or anything else. Just get familiar with the software first.

It sounds like you already were on the right track, but maybe you didn't install the software or run it after you did or something. You said you initially downloaded:

airvpn_windows8_x64_installer

When you should have downloaded:

eddie-ui_2.11.15_windows-10_x64_installer.exe which you can do on the aforementioned Windows download page.

But if you DID install that software, then yes, you would be able to remove it again via the "add or remove programs" menu.

Is this clearer?

Take care

If you didn't download it and you find tech stuff hard, what do you have to un-install? It sounds like you never installed anything to begin with.

Eddie is the codename for the AirVPN software that you need to use the VPN.

Simply creating an account on this site and paying 1 euro, as it sounds like you've done, does not mean you're using the VPN.

You download from here. Simply pick the relevant system that you have, such as Windows 10 in your case and then click the big blue download button.

After installing the software, open it, login and click "Connect to a recommended server", as seen here:

welcome.png

That's it. Then you would be using the VPN. No need to worry about which continent to surf from or anything else. Just get familiar with the software first.

It sounds like you already were on the right track, but maybe you didn't install the software or run it after you did or something. You said you initially downloaded:

airvpn_windows8_x64_installer

When you should have downloaded:

eddie-ui_2.11.15_windows-10_x64_installer.exe which you can do on the aforementioned Windows download page.

But if you DID install that software, then yes, you would be able to remove it again via the "add or remove programs" menu.

Is this clearer?

Take care

Hi thanks for your post. I installed air vpn but did not set it up properly. It was in my 'add or remove programs' list, so I uninstalled it and will reinstall it if I need it again. Please could you tell me if I have done the right thing for now.

As long as it's the version for Windows 10, you're likely on the right track. I can't see if you've done the right thing .

But you'll soon need to update your plan, in order to have a valid account. Otherwise you won't be able to use the software. I recommend trying out the 1 month subscription or spending another 1 euro for 3 more days, so you have a chance to get familiar with it. But why do you want a VPN? Is it just for generally increasing your privacy and security or is it for something such as getting access to online services like Netflix?

As long as it's the version for Windows 10, you're likely on the right track. I can't see if you've done the right thing .

But you'll soon need to update your plan, in order to have a valid account. Otherwise you won't be able to use the software. I recommend trying out the 1 month subscription or spending another 1 euro for 3 more days, so you have a chance to get familiar with it. But why do you want a VPN? Is it just for generally increasing your privacy and security or is it for something such as getting access to online services like Netflix?

thanks, I just want a vpn to increase my privacy, i dont watch netflix.

Please may I ask another question, if I don't need a vpn right now, will I be able to come back at a later date and reinstall the software.

I suffer from anxiety at the moment and cannnot take a lot in, so chances are, if I buy another three day subscription, I still won't understand all the tech stuff.

Once you pay (and thereby add more days to your account), you have a valid account. Once you have that, you will be able to use the software, once it's installed.

If you download the software without having a valid account, then you just won't be able to use the software, as you won't be able to log into it, simply.

We'll be here when you're back, no worries. Get well soon

Once you pay (and thereby add more days to your account), you have a valid account. Once you have that, you will be able to use the software, once it's installed.

If you download the software without having a valid account, then you just won't be able to use the software, as you won't be able to log into it, simply.

We'll be here when you're back, no worries. Get well soon

Hi

I have been doing jobs, and my subscription has now expired, so for now, I have removed airvpn from my 'add or remove programs' list. When I come back I will download the .exe file for airvpn again, and I will download eddie the installer.

I may need some further assistance, as all this is double dutch to me, I have tried to understand it but I just can't at the moment, it's just not going in.

Thank you for your kind wishes that I get well soon.

Will I be able to stay registered in this forum and come back on this thread?

I have bookmarked it.

Many thanks.

No worries.

Yes your account will stay available and you can post whenever you like. Just login and purchase another plan when you're ready next.

Don't overwork yourself now

Hopefully I can add some answers to your questions as well, for your viewing pleasure and education when you are ready to try AirVPN again.  What I would suggest is that you prepare ahead of time by asking questions here (to get comfortable) before starting your next trial.

I also use Win10, and haven't had really any issues with Eddie (the AirVPN client).  That said, I have made a few config "optimizations", but I'm going to stay in scope to your questions for now... we can cross any other knowledge bridges as time goes by.

My understanding is that PIA really didn't have much of a client, and relied on the system tray icon as their main interface.  They are fairly unique in that approach.  It's not to say that Eddie doesn't have a context menu on a tray icon option as well, but it will not be as verbose as PIA since the idea is that most of your choices will be made from within the client (what PIA lacks).

So I would think your first experience with an in progress trial might look like this (setting up some defaults):

1. install Eddie client
  2. you should find an airVPN icon on the desktop, click it to launch Eddie (AirVPN client)
  3. You will see an icon appear in the system tray, and a full Eddie client window should also open
  4. Supply your account and password to authenticate (Eddie will need to see you have an active subscription/account)
    1. optional... I chose to have Eddie remember (checkbox) my username and password to make things easier
  5. Unless you are specifically needing to use a VPN server in a specific country, you could at this point simply select Connect to a recommended server (available in the client, and on the right-click of the sys-tray icon) to enable a VPN connection
  6. At this point, you are able to do what you intended under a VPN connection
  7. optional... decide to configure Eddie so that it is always launched with windows
    1. Right click Eddie/AirVPN icon in systems tray and choose the Preferences option
    2. you should default to "General" options... and consider enabling the three options I highlighted purple
    3. Click Save when done
  8. When you are finished, you can click Disconnect (available in the client, and on the right-click of the sys-tray icon)
  9. optional... close Eddie... no reason to close it if you want to have it readily accessible... but if you do, return to Step #3 when ready to connect to a VPN again

If you want to always have the VPN connection set to a specific "country", we can explore using the whitelists with you,  Connect to a recommended server will use you whitelist for every connection in the future if you chose to do that.

So, assuming you chose to have Eddie launched with windows, and that you don't yet need a country restriction for you VPN connection, your second (and future) connections could get much simpler

(I'm opting to provide an example using the contect menu as that should be most familiar to you coming from PIA, however most of these steps are easily translated to work in the client as well):
  1. Right click Eddie/AirVPN icon in systems tray and choose the Connect to a recommended server option
  2. Do what you intended under a VPN connection
  3. When you are finished, you can right-click the sys-tray icon again and select Disconnect

Now let's say instead that you really would like to remain connected to the VPN 24/7.  This will keep Eddie launching with Win10, and Eddie will connect to a VPN automatically.  So long as you never click Disconnect, you should always remain connected, and have your connection re-established after a reboot:

1. Right click Eddie/AirVPN icon in systems tray and choose the Preferences option
  2. you should default to "General" options... refer to my screen shot above and consider the two options I highlighted orange
    1. Enabling Connect at startup will ensure a VPN connection is established when Eddie is launched (either manually by you or automatically with a Windows restart)
    2. Network Lock is mentioned here just to point where it is (if you decide NL is important to you, this would be a good option to check along with the Connect at startup option)
    3. Note: I am not a fan of the Reconnect to last server at startup option.  I am sure folks have a use for it, but I would hate to be caught by a my selected server going down, where this setting could keep Eddie from picking another working server.
  3. click Save

So there are a couple things we haven't explored (to be saved for another day):

• using whitelists if you want to force the Eddie client to always pick servers available in a specific country (if more, hopefully random works)
  • whether or not using Network Lock is important to you

Hopefully I can add some answers to your questions as well, for your viewing pleasure and education when you are ready to try AirVPN again.  What I would suggest is that you prepare ahead of time by asking questions here (to get comfortable) before starting your next trial.

I also use Win10, and haven't had really any issues with Eddie (the AirVPN client).  That said, I have made a few config "optimizations", but I'm going to stay in scope to your questions for now... we can cross any other knowledge bridges as time goes by.

My understanding is that PIA really didn't have much of a client, and relied on the system tray icon as their main interface.  They are fairly unique in that approach.  It's not to say that Eddie doesn't have a context menu on a tray icon option as well, but it will not be as verbose as PIA since the idea is that most of your choices will be made from within the client (what PIA lacks).

So I would think your first experience with an in progress trial might look like this (setting up some defaults):

1. install Eddie client
  2. you should find an airVPN icon on the desktop, click it to launch Eddie (AirVPN client)
  3. You will see an icon appear in the system tray, and a full Eddie client window should also open
  4. Supply your account and password to authenticate (Eddie will need to see you have an active subscription/account)
    1. optional... I chose to have Eddie remember (checkbox) my username and password to make things easier
  5. Unless you are specifically needing to use a VPN server in a specific country, you could at this point simply select Connect to a recommended server (available in the client, and on the right-click of the sys-tray icon) to enable a VPN connection
  6. At this point, you are able to do what you intended under a VPN connection
  7. optional... decide to configure Eddie so that it is always launched with windows
    2. you should default to "General" options... and consider enabling the three options I highlighted purple

attachicon.gifEddie_Win10_General_Options.png

3. Click Save when done
  8. When you are finished, you can click Disconnect (available in the client, and on the right-click of the sys-tray icon)
  9. optional... close Eddie... no reason to close it if you want to have it readily accessible... but if you do, return to Step #3 when ready to connect to a VPN again

If you want to always have the VPN connection set to a specific "country", we can explore using the whitelists with you,  Connect to a recommended server will use you whitelist for every connection in the future if you chose to do that.

So, assuming you chose to have Eddie launched with windows, and that you don't yet need a country restriction for you VPN connection, your second (and future) connections could get much simpler

(I'm opting to provide an example using the contect menu as that should be most familiar to you coming from PIA, however most of these steps are easily translated to work in the client as well):
  1. Right click Eddie/AirVPN icon in systems tray and choose the Connect to a recommended server option
  2. Do what you intended under a VPN connection
  3. When you are finished, you can right-click the sys-tray icon again and select Disconnect

Now let's say instead that you really would like to remain connected to the VPN 24/7.  This will keep Eddie launching with Win10, and Eddie will connect to a VPN automatically.  So long as you never click Disconnect, you should always remain connected, and have your connection re-established after a reboot:

2. you should default to "General" options... refer to my screen shot above and consider the two options I highlighted orange
    1. Enabling Connect at startup will ensure a VPN connection is established when Eddie is launched (either manually by you or automatically with a Windows restart)
    2. Network Lock is mentioned here just to point where it is (if you decide NL is important to you, this would be a good option to check along with the Connect at startup option)
    3. Note: I am not a fan of the Reconnect to last server at startup option.  I am sure folks have a use for it, but I would hate to be caught by a my selected server going down, where this setting could keep Eddie from picking another working server.
  3. click Save

So there are a couple things we haven't explored (to be saved for another day):

• using whitelists if you want to force the Eddie client to always pick servers available in a specific country (if more, hopefully random works)
  • whether or not using Network Lock is important to you

Hi Daniel and thanks for your detailed post, I really appreciate the time spent on this.

I am suffering severe anxiety over some personal problems at the moment, so I am unable to study this right at this time, but I have bookmarked this thread and will come back to it when I am ready. Many thanks.