Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.204.208
Staff

Servers re-location: Netherlands

Hello!

We're glad to inform you that starting from  Friday October 21st 2016 @ 23:59h CEST to Saturday October 22nd 2016 @ 04:00h CEST the Netherlands servers listed below will be relocated in a new cage. The expected downtime is four hours from the beginning of the relocation of each server.

Alchiba
Alcyone
Alshat
Alterf
Atik
Celaeno
Diphda
Elnath
Gianfar
Hassaleh
Hyadum
Kajam
Merga
Nash
Salm
Situla
Skat
Talitha
Tarazed
Zibal

This will allow to add AMS-IX and Telia direct connectivity as well as some extra peering to all of the aforementioned servers. After the re-location, therefore, we will have all the 44 servers in the Netherlands with direct AMS-IX and Telia connectivity.

Additionally, the uplink capacity to each public switch will be increased to 40 Gbit/s (currently it is 20 Gbit/s per switch).

Kind regards

AirVPN Staff

Hello!

That sounds absolutely sweet Staff! It sounds like a big undertaking, so good luck. I wish you lots of datalove, as your supplies seem to have run out this time ^__^

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Sounds great. I sense a good portion of speed and latency improvements on these servers for me. I'll test them next week when it's done

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I have seen it mentioned in other forums that a lot of proxies and bittorrent seedboxes are located in the Netherlands, and suggestions to use Netherlands VPN servers from whichever provider. So some internet efficiency if AirVPN users also choose there for similar traffic. And puts a few bits into Netherlands as the center of the internet universe, and helps warm the place with hot servers as winter arrives ;-)

Looking forward to the upgrade! As of now, I get good speeds to some Netherlands servers, others not so much... I believe this will be a much needed upgrade as Netherlands is a great location for users from all around the world to connect to.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

Sorry @sistnu 2 posts but that sort of suggestion is just the sort of propaganda used to deny people and businesses reasonable security and privacy, so not very funny.

There is a somewhat detailed description at:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/10/double-dip-internet-of-things-botnet-attack-felt-across-the-internet/

but professional focussed websites would have more info.

It is a *distributed* denial of service attack, VPN servers have a limited number of exit IP addresses, so could be countered by antiDDOS techniques ?

Hundreds of thousands of webcams, cheap routers etc in numerous locations, including possibly your house without your knowledge, rather than datacenters, are a more difficult problem.

Another article I read claimed many IoT devices were shipped with common default passwords which were never changed by typical purchasers, and had open access across the internet, used for setting up and controlling botnets. So I suppose some "agency" could also scan for and hack into and sanitize as a counter measure, but ...