Not connected, Your IP: 18.189.14.219
Staff

Two new 100 Mbit/s servers available (HK)

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that two new 100 Mbit/s servers located in Hong Kong are available: Alnilam and Phecda.

The AirVPN client will show automatically the new servers, while if you use the OpenVPN client you can generate all the files to access them through our configuration/certificates/key generator (menu "Client Area"->"Config generator").

The servers accept connections on ports 53, 80, 443, 2018 UDP and TCP.

Just like every other Air server, Alnilam and Phecda support OpenVPN over SSL and OpenVPN over SSH.

As usual no traffic limits, no logs, no discrimination on protocols and hardened security against various attacks with separate entry and exit-IP addresses.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any information or issue.

Kind regards and datalove
AirVPN Team

Awesome addition to the already awesome server lineup! It's good to see more servers in exotic locations.

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

I'm sure the Asian customers (or those traveling Asia) will appreciate this. And maybe those servers are also good for the Australian people.

HK is rather a "junction box" between North to Japan/Korea, East to USA, South to SEAsia and Australia, West to China, with "fat pipes".

Singapore seems to service India Bangladesh and the Gulf based on bittorrent DHT swarms, and has westward links to Europe rather than transit USA.

In Australia, undersea cable goes direct Sydney-Perth-Singapore and Sydney-HongKong based on traceroute.

So typical ping times in Eddie at the moment, in rural eastern Australia using 4G fixed wireless NBN to Hadar HK:

Antares Singapore 137ms

Hadar HK pacswitch 159ms

Yed,etc HK hkserveworks 165ms

Heze, California 199ms (best US)

Carinae UK 321ms (best EU)

Some CDN routing seems suboptimal at times, eg www.reuters.com uses Amazon, and Firefox WorldIP addon shows routed to Germany when using HK. This is probably due to the AirVPN DNS interaction with CDNs.

Hi,

From Australia I prefer to avoid Singapore as it is a serious surveillance state and presumably part of the US surveillance empire.

I prefer HK as although it is almost certainly part of the Chinese surveillance empire I cannot image that that represents any threat to me.

My European preference is Switzerland

Tricky trying to get privacy/security is it not ? Australia and Singapore also have special bilateral relations for police/customs/military cooperation and the revelations of spying by Australia on the Indonesian government has it running errands for the yankers. China has its own problems with Islamic terrorists, so can probably be "outsourced" to deal with that effectively in HK. I sometimes wonder when updating software from US vendors whether it might contain special implants trying to put "ears" inside China, but do not think HK is "trusted" inside the Great Firewall, so little incentive, but often switch to Singapore for updates. Also Google and others treat HK as Chinese speaking, I explicitly load www.google.com.au to use the search and my gmail identity. Singapore is multiethnic and English speaking enough that ads etc are not Chinese. But also rotate HK and SG servers and am actually only a "non violent leftist dissident (semiretired)" just to frustrate the Surveillance State. Tony made me do it.

Why so many HK now? Why not more SG or JP server, hope AiR invest on SG or JP location since we need low latency server and many southeast asia people has internet censorship / blocking problems