Not connected, Your IP: 44.222.231.51
Kagee

ANSWERED Unusable connection while torrenting over AirVPN

Since at least yesterday when I use torrent over AirVPN the whole connection (including the torrent) grinds to a halt.

My cable modem broke and I haven't been using AirVPN for some days, so I am not sure when the problems started.

It could of course be connected to my new cable modem, but the problem is only when using both the VPN and torrent.

Using torrent without AirVPN is fine.

Just surfing, downloading, streaming etc. over AirVPN is fine.

But when I start a torrent after about 10-30sec the speed of both the torrent and any stream, download, etc. drops unusably low.

I also get quite frequent disconnects.

I tested this (among others) with the Ubuntu torrent (so it is not a tracker/legitimacy issue) and several AirVPN servers in different locations.

Any help/solutions are appreciated.

Hello!

It would be relevant for us to see the logs around the time you disconnect.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thank you for your help!

Here is my log from "Connected" to "Connection terminated".

The torrent was already running and I started loading pages after a couple of minutes.

The connection dropped more or less instantly, the time out took a bit.

If you need a more complete log let me know.

! 2016.07.27 19:49:47 - Connected.
. 2016.07.27 19:49:47 - OpenVPN > MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:3100
. 2016.07.27 19:49:47 - OpenVpn Management > >INFO:OpenVPN Management Interface Version 1 -- type 'help' for more info
. 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - OpenVPN > [server] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting
. 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - OpenVPN > SIGUSR1[soft,ping-restart] received, process restarting
. 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - OpenVPN > Restart pause, 2 second(s)
! 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - Disconnecting
. 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - Management - Send 'signal SIGTERM'
. 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - OpenVPN > MANAGEMENT: CMD 'signal SIGTERM'
. 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - OpenVPN > MANAGEMENT: Client disconnected
. 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - OpenVPN > Assertion failed at misc.c:779
. 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - OpenVPN > Exiting due to fatal error
. 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - Connection terminated.

A downgrade of the TAP driver to 9.9.2_3 (9.9.1 did not install properly) did not solve the issue.

I can reliably produce disconnects by trying to load a couple of pages while a torrent is running.

The page requests will time out and the torrents will bottom out to 0 KB/s.

After some time AirVPN will disconnect.

If I don't actively do anything else the download speed will fluctuate between a couple of Bytes/s and about 20 KB/s.

Very occasionally it will spike to three digits for a second or two.

Thanks again!

Then you can try upgrading to a newer version. Around page 3 giganerd links to it .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

. 2016.07.27 19:54:35 - OpenVPN > Assertion failed at misc.c:779

Do you know what version of openvpn.exe you are using? Are you using Windows? Eddie?

I have in the past built versions of openvpn for myself. So I have the source for 2.3.11.

The "Assertion ..." message is produced by a C ASSERT macro, placed in the code for debugging purposes. In function setenv_str_ex. It received an empty string when it did not expect one. Not much help to us in this context.

Except in the 2.3.11 version of the client, the ASSERT is at line 778, not line 779.

So maybe this is some bug. Not your fault. Maybe update openvpn.exe (or whatever) to 2.3.11?

@LZ1:

I am using the default AirVPN client in the latest version on Windows 10.

OpenVPN version according to the log:

. 2016.07.27 19:49:23 - OpenVPN > OpenVPN 2.3.8 x86_64-w64-mingw32 [sSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [iPv6] built on Aug 13 2015

@NaDre:

No change when upgrading the TAP driver.

. 2016.07.27 19:49:23 - OpenVPN > OpenVPN 2.3.8 x86_64-w64-mingw32 [sSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [iPv6] built on Aug 13 2015

Release 2.3.8 is old.

The current AirVPN client uses OpenVPN 2.3.10:

Very sorry. You are correct. It does use 2.3.8.

https://airvpn.org/topic/15071-eddie-210-available/?p=31293

The most recent client available from OpenVPN itself is 2.3.11:

https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html

And as I said, a message with "Assertion failed ..." in it has got to mean an internal bug.

UPDATE:

Again, Sorry for my error.

If you do not want to update to the beta version of Eddie, you could get the up to date OpenVPN version, and then copy openvpn.exe in place of the one that Eddie installed.

Or since AirVPN appears to have a customized version of openvpn.exe at release 2.3.11 in their new beta client, maybe you could just get that and use it with your current GUI.

I just tried the most recent OpenVPN release (OpenVPN 2.3.11 x86_64-w64-mingw32), and while I did indeed not get the connection to disconnect, the speed issue was the same.

Surfing, streaming and downloading are fine.

Torrenting is unusably slow.

Both together is more or less a complete standstill.

Also please not that the "Assertion failed..." message only shows up long after there is no longer any traffic.

The time out doesn't seem to happen due to this assertion failure.

The assertion failure happens during the attempted disconnect, after the time out.

After playing around with the configuration on my new cable modem/router I found the issue.

Apparently the ICMP flood protection of the built in Firewall blocked the traffic.

Disabling it instantly solved the issue, and re-enabling reproduces it.

Thanks for the help and sorry to bother you about an issue at my end!

If at speedtest.net AirVPN connection speeds stable and more or less high, then it's probably not AirVPN causing and not Eddie, maybe modem-router-ISP. Did you tried last Eddie's experimental version which 2.11.3 (I'm myself using last TAP version too without any problem). Also as I was noticed there are some updating OpenVPN software on servers, so, it's highly recommended update Eddie to last experimental which with updated libraries within. For example I start seeing increased-better performance with this updates on all parts. 

I'm new to AirVPN and usually connect to a recommended server rather than whitelisting servers which hasn't worked well for me. I'm trying to torrent some TV programs and the download speeds are so ridiculously slow that I'm much better off disconnecting from AirVPN and using my regular ISP which can give me 2-3 mb speeds instead of the ~40k of the VPN. Obviously that's not an ideal solution. However don't know what to troubleshoot first. 

Every time I connect to the VPN I initially see very high up- and download speeds appear in the windows and then after a second, they drop to very low speeds. I don't know if this is normal. I'm not aware of having a firewall. I run a 2013 MacBook Air with Yosemite (OS 10.10.5) and NOT El Capitain.

Any tips (in simple non-techie language) would be gratefully received.

I'm new to AirVPN and usually connect to a recommended server rather than whitelisting servers which hasn't worked well for me. I'm trying to torrent some TV programs and the download speeds are so ridiculously slow that I'm much better off disconnecting from AirVPN and using my regular ISP which can give me 2-3 mb speeds instead of the ~40k of the VPN. Obviously that's not an ideal solution. However don't know what to troubleshoot first.

Every time I connect to the VPN I initially see very high up- and download speeds appear in the windows and then after a second, they drop to very low speeds. I don't know if this is normal. I'm not aware of having a firewall. I run a 2013 MacBook Air with Yosemite (OS 10.10.5) and NOT El Capitain.

Any tips (in simple non-techie language) would be gratefully received.

Hello !

It sounds like you need to do some portforwarding, which is a way of letting Air know which "virtual doors" you're expecting your torrent data to come knocking on, so that Air can let it through. I hope that's non-techy enough ;D. Feel free to check my guide, as it might answer many other questions you might have. It's in my signature. But do check out the FAQ section of the forum, as it has a post on portforwarding. You basically need to use the port number in your torrent client and put it in the "remote port forwarding" area of this site, in the "Client Area" tab.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Welcome to AirVPN

Sent to you from me with datalove