Not connected, Your IP: 54.210.224.114
soupy

Looking for a new vpn

Hey everyone

I currently use torguard vpn, never had dns leaks, kill switch works good but I run this on my media service which has auto downloading for my shows the client usually drops once a day which is annoying if I am not around to re start it which times takes several attempts to get it working again.

My biggest thing is privacy/speed, I used pia before and the letters never stopped coming from my isp so I left them for torguard but I need a stable client with privacy but with the speed. My connection is 100/10 here in Canada with torguard I get 40-70mb,torrents range from 1-7mb which is awesome for downloads.

I want to know how stable the air vpn client is and how are the speeds on the Toronto servers? Or any general info someone can tell me air does better than torguard.

Thanks 

speed This user chose AirVPN over TorGuard because he/she was able to download with 197 MBit/s.

The AirVPN client is stable and even "leakfree" if you enable Network Lock (NL). If you lose your internet, you won't lose your camouflage.

And just so we speak the same language, b = bit, B = Byte. With this in mind, I don't quite understand it when you talk about your speeds like this:

with torguard I get 40-70mb,torrents range from 1-7mb

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

My biggest thing is privacy/speed

I changed from IPVanish to AirVPN and the speeds are better with AirVPN, privacy is pretty good, been doing leak tests and AirVPN manages this flawlessly, also has a Kill Switch that works pretty well.

I want to know how stable the air vpn client is

Can't tell the difference from TorGuard but with IPVanish my connections dropped constanlty, multiple times every hour, and sometimes couldn't connect to servers, AirVPN's much more stable in that aspect, connections always work at once. My connection time right now is 10 hours with no incidents and for the moment I never had any disconnection.

Maybe you want to choose the 3 days plan for only 1 €. This is not much money, and you can decide for yourself afterwards if you like it.

Regards

Fox

Hello !

​I think if you're looking for privacy/security, AirVPN wins hands down. Feel free to refer to my guide, to get general questions answered. You may also be interested in this subforum, wherein other VPNs are compared to AirVPN . If there's a feature you think Torguard has but AirVPN hasn't, you could, after searching for it first, post a thread. Then the community will weigh in on how good, useful and safe the feature is and why it may or may not be used by AirVPN. Should prove enlightening.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

It may seem bias that two of the people recommending this VPN to you are employees, but this factually is in the top five best VPNs. I'd say personally that it's the best choice, but that would be more opinion based (And common sense, really, as I am a current customer with many options and chose this one). Basically, if you want a VPN that doesn't cut corners and makes privacy be tantamount to anything else, this is a secure choice.

"The problem is that when people hear the term "big brother", they immediately think it's scary or bad, but I don't. I think, wow, I love my big brother." ~ Michael Scott

It may seem bias that two of the people recommending this VPN to you are employees, but this factually is in the top five best VPNs. I'd say personally that it's the best choice, but that would be more opinion based (And common sense, really, as I am a current customer with many options and chose this one). Basically, if you want a VPN that doesn't cut corners and makes privacy be tantamount to anything else, this is a secure choice.

Which two employees?

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I'd like to emphasize the fact that giganerd and LZ1 are NOT employees, infact neither is Zhang who is a moderator on this forum, anybody who is an employee will have the group Staff and title Staff, as far as I know only one person has a seperate account on these forums and is infact an employee.

P.S. Although I do not remember where they posted this and too lazy to go looking these forums are community driven primarily the support here is done by ordinary members like me, giganerd and LZ1 instead of the employees although they do at times come and post, if you want support from staff you use the support ticket system.

Eden said it.

​Which is also a good time to put out a reminder that not even zhang888 represents AirVPN opinion or anything like that: Only the Staff account does.​With all respect to zhang of course . I'd be flattered if he thought I was good enough to be an Air employee though, haha.

OH ... well .... hmm. My mistake lol. Giganerd commented about the amount of posts being all over the place during the technical issue a while ago and noted that my opinions on being a network admin were correct, so I assumed me was employed as a moderator. Same with LZ1 by how much he helped out and commented on the creation of all the threads being merged during the technical issue as well.

​Mistakes were made

"The problem is that when people hear the term "big brother", they immediately think it's scary or bad, but I don't. I think, wow, I love my big brother." ~ Michael Scott

OH ... well .... hmm. My mistake lol. Giganerd commented about the amount of posts being all over the place during the technical issue a while ago and noted that my opinions on being a network admin were correct, so I assumed me was employed as a moderator. Same with LZ1 by how much he helped out and commented on the creation of all the threads being merged during the technical issue as well.

​Mistakes were made

Nah, LZ1 Is just a nerd who is too much online

P.S. I'm one to talk I refresh AirVPN forums every 5 minutes 

Nah, LZ1 Is just a nerd who is too much online

So is giganerd.

Giganerd commented about the amount of posts being all over the place during the technical issue a while ago

That's because I'm a (digital) monk preaching order.

If you watch closely, absolute freedom leads to absolute chaos. They posted more than 150 absolutely useless posts which in the end was nothing else than absolute chaos because they also hid the ones with working solutions. They could've just.. you know.. read. Most of them were people posting their first post ever. It's just sad expecting people to answer directly to them and also to have a solution right away.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

So is giganerd.

Yes of course but your name says it

I recently switched to AirVPN two days ago and enjoy it a lot. I had PIA, BTGuard and ExpressVPN. PIA is great for a beginner and want to try to something different. BTGuard... well it is weird that they are specialized in Torrenting, hence the name. However, they are not up  to par as other average VPN such as PIA. Then I moved on to ExpressVPN, pricey but I went with them because they offer all their servers in 1Gbps and few in 10 Gbps. I had ExpressVPN for like a year and want to try something different. I came to AirVPN because they have a support for OpenVPN, they offer more features. But only one thing that made me move is they have port forwarding. Only four VPNs in the world have this feature, and AirVPN is one of them.

I recently switched to AirVPN two days ago and enjoy it a lot. I had PIA, BTGuard and ExpressVPN. PIA is great for a beginner and want to try to something different. BTGuard... well it is weird that they are specialized in Torrenting, hence the name. However, they are not up  to par as other average VPN such as PIA. Then I moved on to ExpressVPN, pricey but I went with them because they offer all their servers in 1Gbps and few in 10 Gbps. I had ExpressVPN for like a year and want to try something different. I came to AirVPN because they have a support for OpenVPN, they offer more features. But only one thing that made me move is they have port forwarding. Only four VPNs in the world have this feature, and AirVPN is one of them.

How would you compare the speed to express vpn

In comparison I cannot say since I never used ExpressVPN myself, however AirVPN has no limits and very strong servers and if there is too much trouble with them they terminate them and find others, they do not compromise. I have a 300Mb/s Line and I get 200Mb/s with AirVPN

Thanks for all the replies I got a one month sub all the positive feedback I have to try it. 

ExpressVPN is very good. They have online chat support and instant phone support I believe. Their servers is well built and I have no issue with them. Well, I have a few but I will explain about that. Other than that, their Android App and Window App is solid and easy to use without any issue. They are one of the very few VPN that I am capable of maxing my connection (150/150) based on testmyspeed.net, speedof.me, fast.com and speedtest.net. ExpressVPN's speed is far better than PIA and BTGuard. and stable also. I imagine ExpressVPN is capable of going up to 1Gbps on speed test. 

For issue, one is their website don't provide a lot of information of your account. Which it is true for them not to keep records of who you are or whatever. But They don't have a client panel like PIA and AirVPN offer, so basically no glandular control. secondly, I use VPN to bypass the filter in college or stores. I don't do crazy or illegal thing, but they can be very conservative with the filter which didn't make sense. Also bypass the web login before I get to use their access. I am tired of agreeing to my college wifi every half hour. It just a small community college. Anyway, with PIA, I have no issue of connecting directly to PIA server without having to login as long I force it to use IPv4. That only if I use OpenVPN with PIA's cert. And few months later after that, PIA improved the Android App and capable of connecting without issue. On ExpressVPN, it have connection problem. For whatever the reason, it does get stuck in Auth process for like a min before it can connect or simply fail. Same true for department store such as Target. In Target, I use their guest wifi to use Cartwheel or looking up Amazon since it only have 2G cellular network. Their building reflected 4G which crappy coverage inside the building. So ExpressVPN sometime get stuck in Auth handshaking and just loop there. In turn, their wifi temp block my phone from accessing their Wifi. I have to restart my phone to reconnect to their Wifi. PIA have no issue with it. For AirVPN, I haven't test it in Android app yet. I just got the sub like three days ago. I am still testing out and enjoy it a lot.

I like the way AirVPN app handle the network. Like EdensSpire said, if the server is overload, it will connect to other server automatically without issue. Not a lot of VPN is capable of doing this. 

One upside.. AirVPN is located in European Union zone. Which basically they only follow the EU law. Not the other country law such as Red, Blue and White country whom hunger for IP address if you know what I mean. Anyway, enjoy using AirVPN.

For issue, one is their website don't provide a lot of information of your account. Which it is true for them not to keep records of who you are or whatever.

Following this logic, if the information is not shown to you, it is an indicative sign that it is not being collected? Interesting.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

For issue, one is their website don't provide a lot of information of your account. Which it is true for them not to keep records of who you are or whatever.

Following this logic, if the information is not shown to you, it is an indicative sign that it is not being collected? Interesting.

That is not what I mean. Again English is my second language, my grammar is not perfect. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Let me clarify, I forgot to remove that phrase because it didn't make sense to me. What I meant is ExpressVPN don't provide client panel. ExpressVPN account page only have the sub page and the DNS setting page. It didn't give me a lot of options, it just minimal at best. PIA, priced cheap VPN have more options than ExpressVPN, expensive vpn. 

@NoiselessOwl

Your English is just fine I must say . Thanks for sharing your experience with ExpressVPN. I was curious. The PIA client doesn't allow you to change any options while you're connected to a server, last I saw, lol. If there's anything Air is good at though, it must be options options options. I suspect a lot of VPNs sort of forget about website security and privacy as well.

@soupy

By the way, Welcome to AirVPN! If you have any questions or issues, feel free to ask

@NoiselessOwl

Your English is just fine I must say . Thanks for sharing your experience with ExpressVPN. I was curious. The PIA client doesn't allow you to change any options while you're connected to a server, last I saw, lol. If there's anything Air is good at though, it must be options options options. I suspect a lot of VPNs sort of forget about website security and privacy as well.

No they don't allow you change the option when PIA is connected. I understand the reason for it. They want to make it easier for the beginners and make sure that they are not fat fingering everything while it is still connected. One thing l like about PIA is their selection of encryptions. I have three different options to select what kind of handshake, auth, and encryption I want. Basically I have maybe about 50 different combo I can use. It is useful for some people who want to get a stronger encryption at the cost of speed. Or downgrade the encryption when the public wifi is freaking out. It happened in my college wifi once. I have to tune it down to get it connected.

@NoiselessOwl

@soupy

By the way, Welcome to AirVPN! If you have any questions or issues, feel free to ask

Your guys are awesome, even though my speeds a a little slower than torguard I am getting no disconncts so far my torrents each hold a download speeds of 2.mib each thats' crazy before I'd get like 4mib for one and lower on others.

For network lock it doesn't actually kill any application qbittorrent if the connection drops? 

@Owl

I get what you mean. However I believe that it has been shown that the speed differences between some of the best forms of encryption and some of the worse ones, are pretty negligible. I see what you mean about options and that's fair. However if protecting beginners was the objective, then in my mind, the best form of encryption should be the default, so that you can let the users "mess it up" individually, instead of messing it up for everyone and then hoping a few savvy users will notice and then correct it. I'm talking about stuff like AES 128-bit being the default (I believe), instead of AES 256. Because really, I doubt that most casual users would even notice whether something is using OpenVPN or PPTP; to them, it's just another techno-babble acronym which *does something* and lets them watch Netflix. But again, different values and different goals I suppose.

@soupy

Network Lock won't kill the application itself, such as qBittorent, if the connection drops. But it will kill the connection and thus stop qBittorent from both up and downloading, if that's what you mean. Which is just as good. Just make sure to bind qBittorent to the VPN interface in question, in the advanced settings ^^. Remember to sort your servers based on "Speed" or "Latency" in the Eddie client, depending on what you need and increase the send & receive buffers to 256kb each.

You may like this guide:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/

@Owl

I get what you mean. However I believe that it has been shown that the speed differences between some of the best forms of encryption and some of the worse ones, are pretty negligible. I see what you mean about options and that's fair. However if protecting beginners was the objective, then in my mind, the best form of encryption should be the default, so that you can let the users "mess it up" individually, instead of messing it up for everyone and then hoping a few savvy users will notice and then correct it. I'm talking about stuff like AES 128-bit being the default (I believe), instead of AES 256. Because really, I doubt that most casual users would even notice whether something is using OpenVPN or PPTP; to them, it's just another techno-babble acronym which *does something* and lets them watch Netflix. But again, different values and different goals I suppose.

@soupy

Network Lock won't kill the application itself, such as qBittorent, if the connection drops. But it will kill the connection and thus stop qBittorent from both up and downloading, if that's what you mean. Which is just as good. Just make sure to bind qBittorent to the VPN interface in question, in the advanced settings ^^. Remember to sort your servers based on "Speed" or "Latency" in the Eddie client, depending on what you need and increase the send & receive buffers to 256kb each.

You may like this guide:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/

What doy uo mean bind, I don't see this option?