Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.145.114
quindecim

restoring default firewall settings

Hi guys,

So i recently encountered the issue coverred in the ' Can only connect to the internet (browser) through AirVPN ' thread, where network lock stays perma-locked as a result of improperly shutting down Eddie.

And i followed the process, change ipv4 DNS to automatic, restoring default firewall rules (refer to the above linked thread for more information on this), and everything was back to normal again after connecting and re-storing the network lock etc.

My query is just around the 'reset default firewall rules' , so, after restoring the default settings (removes all of Eddies network lock rules) and re-applying the network lock, then connecting Eddie, does this automatically re-apply the full range of firewall rules that the original installation would have?

Or is there anything further required to ensure that Eddie is running in its most secure form?

I'm pretty sure the answer is that Eddie automatically resets firewall rules when arming the network lock, and checks DNS etc during the connection process. But would just like to check with some of the more learned people to ensure i'm not missing anything.

Thanks

Hello !

Eddie puts things back the way it was originally, when you ask it to, such as when you disable Network Lock. Which is one of the reasons Air Staff always give the most manly advice possible regarding life and death and Eddie: Always kill with grace - so that Eddie has time to finish putting things in order: firewall rules, eulogy, etc. etc.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hi guys,

So i recently encountered the issue coverred in the ' Can only connect to the internet (browser) through AirVPN ' thread, where network lock stays perma-locked as a result of improperly shutting down Eddie.

This is exactly one of the reasons for having Network Lock in the first place. The reason for abrupt disconnection of the tunnel can be anything, from ISP issues, to sudden change

of a wired/wireless network, Eddie/entire OS crash for some reason, and others.

So logically it has many more valid reasons to keep the Network Lock on, no matter what is the status of Eddie.

My query is just around the 'reset default firewall rules' , so, after restoring the default settings (removes all of Eddies network lock rules) and re-applying the network lock, then connecting Eddie, does this automatically re-apply

the full range of firewall rules that the original installation would have?

Every time you enable Network Lock it adds those rules, every time you disable it, the rules are removed. This has nothing to do with your actual connection to any server.

The Network Lock only ensures that you can connect to valid Entry IPs (and a few Air service servers) and not anything else.

So you don't have to do all those steps in order to re-enable your rules. You can only enable Network Lock again.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Yep, thought so. thanks for confirming guys.

Also got a chuckle out of ' Eulogy ' ha!

i guess while i'm at it, another further question:

when Eddie is connected and it  periodically reconnects to new servers, is there any possibility of leakage in that time frame as well? or will the network lock kick in to block all traffic untill it is reconnected again?

Again i'm sure that it does but would like to confirm to be sure.

when Eddie is connected and it  periodically reconnects to new servers, is there any possibility of leakage in that time frame as well? or will the network lock kick in to block all traffic untill it is reconnected again?

The latter.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Incidentally there was a thread from a few days ago, wherein a NordVPN refugee experienced leaks precisely during server changes.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Incidentally there was a thread from a few days ago, wherein a NordVPN refugee experienced leaks precisely during server changes.

Well this is definitely a concern?? particularly if you consider that most would just fire up Eddie and leave it to do its work in idle.

Is there more information available around what caused it, the circumstances, prevention, etc??

https://airvpn.org/topic/18400-competitor-real-wan-ip-being-shown-in-browser/?p=43991

The difference is that Eddie is actually good software and Air is an extremely security-conscious company; even for a VPN. So in that regard, you don't need to worry. Just enable Network Lock and you'll definitely be fine.

Ahh yes -- this happened not with AirVPN but another service. was worried for a sec!

My previous VPN (which shall remain nameless) had a similar killswitch function, whereby if the server disc'd for any reason it would cut the connection. and you could either set it to cut all net access or re-dial. anyway i left it running overnight with some downloads, killswitch/redial enabled, came back in the morning to find my VPN connection down and disc'd for hours, and downloads just running freely without the VPN. which was a massive red flag obviously.

Even their DNS/server choices didn't work properly. I'd connect to a german servers for instance, run a DNS leak test and it would show up in sweden or something. so i pretty much had to just trial and error servers, and DNS check to confirm the VPN was actually doing what it said or that i was getting connections to the correct countries i was trying to select.

Furthermore they had a 'conveniently' difficult to cancel automatic annual subscription that was a nightmare to cancel as well.

After that i decided to research VPN's more and actually look into it to find a secure option, which narrowed it down to a few different options, and Air seemed to be the best option. And so here i am! I really do like how simple AirVPN is. its a well designed program that pretty much does everything automatically once you set it all up correctly.

I think they do need to update to fix the TAP driver error though.

but yes seems to be some people in that thread who know are quite knowledgeable. looks like i still have a bit to learn! ; )

Ouch that's horrible. If their name comes up in the comparison forum, do give us a warning shout haha. Air did lament the poor quality killswitches of other providers as well, in its comments on Network Lock.

Oh for sure -- if i see anyone posting about it in a comparison thread or asking about the service ill definitely elaborate. i'm just hesitant to bad mouth their brand and program in a public forum such as this kind of thing.

But for people who do their research and are looking for a secure VPN, it wouldn't make it into their lists or anything i dont think. i doubt people would be comparing it to the top tier VPNs like PIA, AirVPN, etc etc

Well most people don't do their research, which is evidenced by many of the horrible providers still getting customers .