Not connected, Your IP: 34.203.221.104
go558a83nk

stunnel cipher options for CPU conservation

I'm running stunnel 5.14 with openssl 1.0.2a on my router.  It seems the cipher that's negotiated is probably a little stronger than it needs to be (ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384).  The config, AirVPN*.ssl, only has a NO_SSLv2 option which is fine, of course.  But, are there any other options I can input that will get stunnel to negotiate a cipher suite that's less CPU intensive?

thanks for the help

Thanks. I'd love to hear from staff an answer to my actual question.   I can pull 50mbit/s with my setup but just trying to get every bit I can.

Hello!

Since our servers will accept a variety of ciphers for SSL this is possible by configuring stunnel. However, configuring parameters for stunnel is currently not implemented in Eddie. Please see for example:

https://www.stunnel.org/pipermail/stunnel-users/2013-February/004112.html

Anyway, you probably don't need to bother about that. Nowadays computer CPUs are so powerful that they are not loaded at capacity by the current stunnel and OpenVPN ciphers you're using (well, it also depends on how much load they have from other tasks...).

Kind regards

Hello!

Since our servers will accept a variety of ciphers for SSL this is possible by configuring stunnel. However, configuring parameters for stunnel is currently not implemented in Eddie. Please see for example:

https://www.stunnel.org/pipermail/stunnel-users/2013-February/004112.html

Anyway, you probably don't need to bother about that. Nowadays computer CPUs are so powerful that they are not loaded at capacity by the current stunnel and OpenVPN ciphers you're using (well, it also depends on how much load they have from other tasks...).

Kind regards

Please re-read my post.  I'm using stunnel on my router.

edit: anyway, I got it.  I just added a line to the ssl file "ciphers = DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256" and it works.  noticibly less CPU usage and still a TLS1.2 cipher.

Please re-read my post.  I'm using stunnel on my router. :)

edit: anyway, I got it.  I just added a line to the ssl file "ciphers = DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256" and it works.  noticibly less CPU usage and still a TLS1.2 cipher.

Ok, great! What is your firmware? Did you compile stunnel by yourself for your router or is it an already available version?

Kind regards

Please re-read my post.  I'm using stunnel on my router.

Ok, great! What is your firmware? Did you compile stunnel by yourself for your router or is it an already available version?

Kind regards

merlin asus 378.51 on AC68 with entware-arm installed.  stunnel is available in the entware-arm repository.