Not connected, Your IP: 3.233.219.31
Sign in to follow this  
iwih2gk

Newest China GFW changes vs VPN's

Feedback from my side,

Only L2TP/PPTP connections, and some OpenVPN connections on port 1194 are blocked.

No issues at all with UDP/TCP port 443. Both China Telecom and China Unicom. Sorry I don't have access to other ISPs at this point, but those ones are 70% of China.

Even without SSL/SSH tunnels.

I don't want to go into assumptions here, but it seems to me this was a PR move, from some VPN providers that use default settings, just to bring some "new" features that

we already have with Air, if you can call a non-standard port a feature.

Anyway with the ability Air provides all of the users, without special "Premium" plans or other BS, the connections via SSL/SSH are simply cannot be blocked.

Not in the near few years at least, unless they do some quantum computing calculation on each outgoing connection to determine the real protocol.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I joined today and was able to login for about 1 hour immediately. Thereafter I was disconnected and unable to reconnect since. I have tried many ports and many servers to no avail. I am not sure what the next step is.

I joined today and was able to login for about 1 hour immediately. Thereafter I was disconnected and unable to reconnect since. I have tried many ports and many servers to no avail. I am not sure what the next step is.

Hello!

You need OpenVPN over SSL. Pure OpenVPN works only intermittently on most residential lines. In our client Eddie go to "AirVPN" -> "Preferences" -> "Protocols", select "SSL Tunnel - Port 443", click "Save" and try to connect to some VPN servers.

Kind regards

I've personally had success with "AirVPN over SSH" (though I just signed up a few hours ago so I have it as an alternative to another VPN provider). Strangely no success with AirVPN over SSL, though my understanding is that China is starting to get wise to SSTP type traffic.  That said, my personal experience in China is that the great firewall differentiates between cellular access and land lines. I have used roughly 6 VPNs in my time in China and all of them have had very few issues on my cell phone and all of them were completely screwed when I used them in the office or at home.