#121 A556

A556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

Sometimes, I get a notification that says "VPN Error" from the Eddie app, but when I try to look at the logs to paste it here, the whole app crashes. Is there any other way I can produce the logs?

Logcat.
What do you do to produce the VPN error? Do you have a weak internet connection? Are you attempting to start a game or something?
Sent via Tapatalk.

My home internet connection isn't weak at all, and the error happens even when I am in bed 6 ft away from the router, and it doesn't happen when I'm starting a game, it happens randomly. Like I could be looking at messages or watching YouTube videos and then suddenly, error.

#122 keikari

keikari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:35 AM

Sometimes, I get a notification that says "VPN Error" from the Eddie app, but when I try to look at the logs to paste it here, the whole app crashes. Is there any other way I can produce the logs?

I get those problems too. If the "VPN Error" is same that locks Eddie until you disconnect and reconnect.
I managed to get some log which seems to have error related to that, but app wasn't running so it's not on realtime.
Spoiler

#123 keikari

keikari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:45 AM

I'm having problems reading log. App freezes when scrolling down. I didn't find any option to save log on file automatically. 

(I'm using phone to share network on pc and sometimes it stops working when eddie on phone is connected, so thought that maybe eddie log has something useful)

When I press share button in log section the app restarted and log got wiped(though not sure if this was just one time problem)

It works when log is shorter.

Hello!

Thank you for this report. Currently we can't reproduce this issue but we will keep investigating. About saving the log file, we will of course consider to implement this option.

You write "not sure if this was just one time problem". Does it mean that it does not happen regularly and you reproduce this "reset" only sometimes when you click the share button?

Kind regards

It was first time I had that error so couldn't be sure was it just bad luck. But managed to make it happen again. (I'm having problems of getting whole logcat in fedora 28, but I this morning realized how to kind of fix it, so I will try to post some logcat later)

The app restarting/crashing when pressing share button in log, seems to happen when log gets long enough to crash/freeze if scrolled. Log can also freeze when scrolled up and down(normal usage way, not with intention to freeze it) when it's a short enough not to crash instantly when scroll starts. (I hope you can make sense of that last sentence.)

If log is short it can get crashed if swiped up and down with intention of crashing, though it takes a bit time.(~10s) (Of course my phone has kind of low specs.) (Also small question out of topic: Is it known problem that when editing post the quote changes to normal text if I press backspace? I removed part of quoted text so maybe that's part of the problem.)

#124 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

I'm having problems reading log. App freezes when scrolling down. I didn't find any option to save log on file automatically. 

(I'm using phone to share network on pc and sometimes it stops working when eddie on phone is connected, so thought that maybe eddie log has something useful)

Can reproduce. Tried to reproduce the network changing error and stumbled upon this by simply filling the log with entries.

1. Connect normally.
  2. Change WiFi network.
  3. Couldn't connect this time, generated the VPN error message from another user.
  4. Tried to view the log. No logcat initially, but going forth and back into the app repeatedly generates these two entries. I don't think they help, though.

Spoiler

When I press share button in log section the app restarted and log got wiped(though not sure if this was just one time problem)

It works when log is shorter.

This I cannot reproduce.

Will check the WiFi <> Mobile thing later.

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs is the proper way to heaven.
Same issues are rare! Search for solutions and if not successful open your own threads.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

#125 keikari

keikari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

When I started to scroll log up and down and made it crash, this was the log output.(It was semi-short log so took ~3s intense scroll to freeze/chrash it)
Here is logcat output of that(there are few lines before the freeze occurred.)
Spoiler

#126 A556

A556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

How do I get the logcat so I can post the error here? I don't have root so if that is needed then I won't be able to post them.

#127 keikari

keikari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

How do I get the logcat so I can post the error here? I don't have root so if that is needed then I won't be able to post them.

This might not be greatest explanation, but it should be enough.
I believe there are apps for that in playstore
Or
If you want to get it from pc with phone connected to USB
You need to enable usb debugging in Settings -> developer options. (Google how to "unhide" it if you don't know how)
You need adb on computer.
If you don't want to run adb as root you must set usb mode when connected to "Transfer files" or similar.
Then use command "adb logcat". (I'm on fedora 28 and for some reason it stops log at random points, so I need to retry until it gets to realtime)

#128 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

There are two main ways:

1. By using SysLog. This dumps the whole log. No PC needed.
  2. By using adb. More involved, but it's possible to precisely filter the output. PC needed.

Edit: Logcat has a dedicated article. :D

Edited by giganerd, 22 August 2018 - 11:48 AM.

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs is the proper way to heaven.
Same issues are rare! Search for solutions and if not successful open your own threads.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

#129 A556

A556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:43 AM

There are two main ways:

1. By using SysLog. This dumps the whole log. No PC needed.
  2. By using adb. More involved, but it's possible to precisely filter the output. PC needed.

Thank you, I already have ADB installed on my PC, so I will try that method next time it crashes

#130 eldervamp18

eldervamp18

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:59 AM

I got the same error. VPN has encounter a error, therefore VPN is locked and to check the log. When i tried to open the log, eddie froze and couldnt get it to close. I had to do a force close. Eddie was fine before I went to sleep. After about 4 hours later when I went to use my phone is when I noticed the error message.  I'm using Samsung galaxy s7 edge oreo (G935P)

#131 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7508 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:43 PM

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android Edition 1.0 RC4 (VC 7) has just been released.

No new functions are implemented, but the application has been restructured thoroughly in order to enhance stability and increase battery life.

You can see more info and details in the changelog attached to this message.

Just like RC3, Eddie 1.0 RC4 is also packaged with x86 support, as well as ARM32 and ARM64 of course.

As usual Eddie is free and open source software released under GPLv3. Check the first post in this thread for source code URL and some more details.

You can participate to the tests by joining the testing community in the Google Play Store here https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.airvpn.eddie

Alternatively, if you don't want to access (or you have no access to) the Google Play Store, the apk can be downloaded here:

https://eddie.website/repository/eddie/android/1.0rc4/org.airvpn.eddie.apk

Please keep testing and stress Eddie as much as you can! Any single report is important. Thanks so much to all the past and future testers!

Kind regards

Attached Files

#132 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7508 posts

Posted Today, 03:27 PM

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android Edition 1.0 RC5 (VC 8) has just been released.

The application has been completely ported and rewritten in Java, Mono is no more used from this release on.

Main features (compared to RC4):

• fix of fatal ANR issues while opening or scrolling log view, settings view and applications white/black lists caused by Mono libraries
  • fix of crashes and ANR issues during application initialization caused by Mono libraries
  • fix of fatal segmentation faults caused by Mono libraries
  • fix of other crashes caused by Mono libraries
  • smaller package size (approximately 60% smaller size than RC4)
  • lower RAM footprint (approximately 30% lower footprint than RC4)
  • improved detection of network status changes, OpenVPN warnings and OpenVPN errors
  • more responsive user interface
  • new panels with stats and information about throughput and connection
  • Turkish language localization
  • longer battery life on equal footing (approximately +10% against RC4, +18% against OpenVPN for Android (*))

(*) comparison made with OpenVPN for Android version featuring OpenVPN 2.5 linked against OpenSSL

You can also read the changelog attached to this message.

Just like RC4, Eddie 1.0 RC5 is also packaged with x86 support, as well as ARM32 and ARM64 of course.

As usual Eddie is free and open source software released under GPLv3. Check the first post in this thread for source code URL and some more details.

You can participate to the tests by joining the testing community in the Google Play Store here https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.airvpn.eddie

Alternatively, if you don't want to access (or you have no access to) the Google Play Store, the apk will soon be available for download in our web site dedicated to Eddie (link will be posted here).

Please keep testing and stress Eddie as much as you can! Any single report is important. Thanks so much to all the past and future testers!

Kind regards

Attached Files