Not connected, Your IP: 3.89.116.152

AirVPN and TOR – I'm confused

Hey guys,

I'm new in the world of secure internet, VPN and TOR and so after a few days of reading postings, tutorials and discussions I am even more confused.

So what do I want: I want maximum security so noone can track down anything.

I'm using MacOS High Sierra, I have the TOR Browser and AirVPN and I'm still not sure, what exactly I have to do.

Do I have to run TOR through AirVPN? AirVPN through TOR? What preferences do I need?

The problem is, I find so many Tutorials and How-Tos, but no really step-by-step instruction for what I want.

And that is VPN through TOR: My computer -> encrypt with VPN -> TOR -> VPN -> internet

But how do I realize this and how do I know, if this is working 100%?

Or maybe I'm just to stupid, technology never was my thing. 

So I hope you guys could help me out, big thank to you.

Hello!

Welcome to the site!

If you're totally lost, you could start by skimming through the New User guide linked to in my signature. So you'll get an idea about how to use Air firstly.

Your goal isn't quite so clear though. Ideally you would pinpoint who or what you're trying to hide from. There's a difference between some marketeers and a three-letter agency .

Because if you really want to take things to Edward Snowden degrees of security, then you need to look at a lot more things, such as which OS you're using and why.

It's up to you in which order you choose to run Air/Tor. If you want to follow the first example in the next link, you run Tor first and then Air. Otherwise it's the opposite, if I'm not mistaken: There's Pro's and Con's.

In the end, you could check ipleak.net to confirm what address shows up.

You can't be stupid when you made the smart choice of coming here

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thanks for your quick response.

So if I want VPN -> Tor -> VPN -> Internet, I start Tor, then I start AirVPN and go to preferences -> Proxy / Tor -> Type: Tor and save it.

Then I click on "Connect to a recommended server" and done?

But when I check ipleak.net, the addresses are different. Can I upload a picture of that?

I'd advise you to read this guide:

https://airvpn.org/tor/

Using tor over airvpn can be complicated to set up, and may not offer best value-for-performance. However, AirVPN over Tor is quite simple:

Start AirVPN - choose a node - start tor browser bundle - profit.

If you really care for security then tor over air is the way to go. Make sure you understand the caveats first though.

So if I want VPN -> Tor -> VPN -> Internet, I start Tor, then I start AirVPN and go to preferences -> Proxy / Tor -> Type: Tor and save it.

But when I check ipleak.net, the addresses are different. Can I upload a picture of that?

What you've diagrammed there is Tor over VPN.  That's the easiest and probably the best/safest method.

But what you've described doing is VPN over Tor.  More complicated.

It's just my opinion and some may differ, but Tor over VPN is best.  I'd be more concerned with my identity and activities being found out by a compromised node on Tor than by Air,   I think it's also faster to use Tor over VPN and that's a major consideration since it's going to be pretty slow in any case.  Tor over VPN is definitely less complicated to set up.  Just run Air first and your tor browser afterward.

So what do I want: I want maximum security so noone can track down anything.

Step 1:  Disconnect all your devices, shut down your WiFi, and cut all your cables with scissors.

Step 2: don't take any advice on the internet.

Step 3: Repeat 1 & 2.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

What you've diagrammed there is Tor over VPN.  That's the easiest and probably the best/safest method.

But what you've described doing is VPN over Tor.  More complicated.

It's just my opinion and some may differ, but Tor over VPN is best.  I'd be more concerned with my identity and activities being found out by a compromised node on Tor than by Air,   I think it's also faster to use Tor over VPN and that's a major consideration since it's going to be pretty slow in any case.  Tor over VPN is definitely less complicated to set up.  Just run Air first and your tor browser afterward.

On airvpn.org/tor the diagram says that Tor over Vpn does not protect you from malicious exit nodes when not using encryption.  At the top it says if you want protection from malicious exit nodes one needs to launch TBB, and then enable Tor mode in preferences. 

My question though; is it saying one should launch TBB, enable it in preferences and then use a normal browser such as firefox to take advtange of tor+vpn correctly?  The diagram makes it look like using TBB in that mode is not as good as using a browser that doesnt directly connect to Tor.

If so I think that is a bit confusing.  It doesn't explicitly say to use another browser if that's the case.  I think the wording implies one is to launch TBB, enable tor in eddie settings, and then continue to use TBB, but the diagram seems to suggest the opposite. Or am I wrong and confused also here?

Either way it's always a good idea to use end-to-end encryption and https to protect from exit nodes etc.

I am also having problems with setting what the OP is describing. I have read through this thread and I am non the wiser (well, maybe a little wiser.).

Can someone please describe step by step on how to set up this scenario... Your computer -> encrypt with VPN -> Tor -> VPN -> internet

How should I configure Eddie and what should be the sequence of turning stuff on? At which point does the Tor Browser come into the picture?

I would like to accomplish the scenario that is listed on this page under VPN Through Tor (please scroll down a little more than half way)

https://www.bestvpn.com/5-best-vpns-when-using-tor/

This is part of the reason I decided to go with AirVPN but unfortunately am having difficulties accomplishing this.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this for my and the OPs sake. Thank you

OK, I will make this as simple as possible.

There are 2 scenarios for each connection type.

#1. Using AirVPN with Tor.

Scenario 1: I am using Tor, your connection is routed through Tor network like usual. Your ISP will see that you are connected to Tor network and you will not be protected against malicious nodes. .onion sites are accessible like normal. This is same as using Tor alone.

Scneario 2: I am not using Tor, your connection is encrypted by AirVPN and Tor through the Tor network and then AirVPN<-->internet. Your ISP will see that you are connected to the Tor network and you will be protected against malicious nodes. .onion are not accessible.

In order to use #1, simply launch Tor. Go to Eddie preferences-->Proxy/Tor-->choose Tor-->click test, all ok-->connect to your preferred server like usual.

This method is there to protect your identity from VPN server, in this case AirVPN. However, if your adversary is able to locate the origin IP (in this case, Tor network), the Tor network becomes redundant because your ISP will have information on you regarding time of Tor usage.

#2. Using Tor over AirVPN

Scenario 1: I am using Tor, your connection is encrypted by AirVPN and Tor through AirVPN server and then Tor<-->internet. Your ISP will see that you are connected to a AirVPN server and you are not protected against malicious nodes. You will be able to access .onion.

Scenario 2: I am not using Tor, your connection is only encrypted by AirVPN and your data goes through AirVPN server<-->internet. Your ISP will see that you are connected to a AirVPN server, no Tor involved, so no .onion obviously.

In order to use #2, connect to a server via Eddie like normal. Launch Tor like normal. The biggest advantage of this method is when you are using Tor, your ISP will not see that you are connected to Tor network. If somehow your adversary succeeds in finding the origin IP (VPN server in this case), you are still protected by AirVPN or whatever VPN you are using.

If you are planning to access .onion sites  or normal internet and you want to hide the fact that you are using Tor from your ISP, go with method #2. Remember, you are not protected from malicious nodes and many sites will block your Tor IP. People recommend this option.

If you are planning to access normal internet with other applications other than Tor and you want an extra security layer, go with method #1. However, with method #1, as I've said Tor becomes a redundant process if your adversary is able to inspect your VPN service. For example, you decided to pay with real billing credit card information for VPN and used method #1 for illegal activity, government was able to get information from VPN, you are caught right away because of billing info. Also, remember your ISP knows you are using Tor from x~y time frame, so even if you paid anonymously for VPN, you are at risk.

I am not suggesting or advocating usage of these methods for illegal activity, but I just want to clarify some major flaws.

Tl;dr, use method #2 and use Tor.

I am also having problems with setting what the OP is describing. I have read through this thread and I am non the wiser (well, maybe a little wiser.).

Can someone please describe step by step on how to set up this scenario... Your computer -> encrypt with VPN -> Tor -> VPN -> internet

How should I configure Eddie and what should be the sequence of turning stuff on? At which point does the Tor Browser come into the picture?

I would like to accomplish the scenario that is listed on this page under VPN Through Tor (please scroll down a little more than half way)

https://www.bestvpn.com/5-best-vpns-when-using-tor/

This is part of the reason I decided to go with AirVPN but unfortunately am having difficulties accomplishing this.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this for my and the OPs sake. Thank you

That would be method #1, not using Tor. Read my post above.