Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.195.110
Sign in to follow this  
iwih2gk

LAN wireless printer using Eddie

Trying to setup Eddie for someone.  Its a Debian OS and Air's Eddie 2.10.3 is working like a champ.  They used Debian at my suggestion and because they trust me in these matters (no secret I am a Debian fan).  They almost never print things but on occasion they need to.  Before introducing Air's Eddie this Debian system printed perfectly to the HP wireless printer on LAN.  I setup using network lock automatically and clicked on the "allow LAN" in the advanced lock features.  I have played with a few settings but for some reason when Eddie is connected I can't find the magic to connect to the printer.  When I view the printer its connected to the internet.  When I pull up Debian's Menu-- > Administration -- > Printer Settings I can see the printer is in fact connected because their computer sees it.  I know I should have pulled logs to print here but I didn't and I am not there right now.

Lacking logs can you toss some ideas my way for things to check?  Since I didn't want to mess with beta on their machine its still using 2.10.3 for a client.  Disconnecting and allowing Eddie to restore the original IP table brings the printer back online and it prints fine.

If the allow LAN does not solve it, you should check which IP address is used by the printer. If it's a public WAN address/IPv6 address,

then you will need an extra routing rule in Eddie to access it. Best way to debug this is to ping the printer IP while you are connected to VPN.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

If the allow LAN does not solve it, you should check which IP address is used by the printer. If it's a public WAN address/IPv6 address,

then you will need an extra routing rule in Eddie to access it. Best way to debug this is to ping the printer IP while you are connected to VPN.

ipv6 is totally disabled.  The issue is their printer is so seldom used that they only power it up the few times they need it.  It immediately finds the router and a network connection light glows on the printer.  Sits about 10 feet from the router.  That means it gets different IP/device addresses on LAN depending of course on how many devices are on LAN when its powered on.  Could be anywhere from 9 to 15 devices on the network.

zhang888,

In your opinion would the newest beta version likely have any different outcome on this issue?  I am just a little concerned about using Eddie beta on a device where I don't live.  Just love being someone's personal IT guy.  LOL!

The allow LAN in 2.11 includes more cases which could be useful to you, like UPNP and SSDP.

https://github.com/AirVPN/airvpn-client/blob/master/src/Platforms.Linux/NetworkLockIptables.cs#L110

If your printer is within those ranges, it should be reachable.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

The allow LAN in 2.11 includes more cases which could be useful to you, like UPNP and SSDP.

https://github.com/AirVPN/airvpn-client/blob/master/src/Platforms.Linux/NetworkLockIptables.cs#L110

If your printer is within those ranges, it should be reachable.

OK then maybe I'll give 2.11 a try if I can get there tonight.  Would you recommend completely deleting 2.10.3 first?  sudo apt-get --purge remove airvpn    type approach?  I made a tested backup of their system so I can afford to gamble a bit.  Or, should I just overwrite with 2.11 on a Deb 8 system?  Should be simple just looking to go the easiest route since its an after hours freebie for me.

The installer will overwrite the old files. There are very little things that can go wrong during this, like if you download a corrupt installer.

The beta client is very solid, even while being experimental. Consider it like the Gmail beta that lasted for 8 years

Posted ... (edited)

why am I no longer able to use my printer and certain sites have blocked me since I installed Eddie VPN? I would like to have help in French if possible because I am not bi-lingual

Edited ... by cheese11825

13 hours ago, cheese11825 said:

why am I no longer able to use my printer and certain sites have blocked me since I installed Eddie VPN? I would like to have help in French if possible because I am not bi-lingual

Please open a ticket to have support in French.
Veuillez ouvrir un ticket, vous obtiendrez de l'aide en français, merci. Ce forum est uniquement en anglais afin d'éviter toute confusion causée par des langues différentes.

Kind regards