Not connected, Your IP: 3.140.186.241
YDWX7uYwz6v6t

Mono Upgrade to Result in Removal of AirVPN Client Under Debian Unstable

I was able to work around this a couple of days ago by marking the AirVPN client on hold.  However, attempting the same manuever today didn't work.  Apt just basically threw up it's hands and said I can't do anything because you've held a broken package.  So, I'm assuming that the AirVPN client relies on an earlier version of Mono and therefore would not work with the newer version.  Is this something that can or will be easily resolved; e.g. modify the AirVPN client so that it will work with the earlier or newer version of Mono?

I was able to work around this a couple of days ago by marking the AirVPN client on hold.  However, attempting the same manuever today didn't work.  Apt just basically threw up it's hands and said I can't do anything because you've held a broken package.  So, I'm assuming that the AirVPN client relies on an earlier version of Mono and therefore would not work with the newer version.  Is this something that can or will be easily resolved; e.g. modify the AirVPN client so that it will work with the earlier or newer version of Mono?

Hello!

We can confirm the issue and we can confirm that Eddie developer is aware of it. Currently the easy solution is using Eddie portable version, which includes the necessary libraries (the old ones) statically compiled and linked.

Kind regards

I figured out what I did wrong.  You need to hold both mono-runtime and airvpn.  I was able to upgrade my machine a few hours ago without losing the AirVPN client.

I'm currently trying to get it to run on a Manjaro set up. What's the "portable" version that is mentioned by Staff?

This mono package is quite the annoyance.

@Pingviinit:  I couldn't get it to work under Debian, Stable or Unstable.  You're welcome to try, though.

01) Go to the Linux client page; https://airvpn.org/linux

02) If you want to use the current experimental version, click the Other versions link.

03) Click the distro listbox and select .tar.gz Portable  or .tar.gz Portable (Mono required) and the applicable architecture.

04) Click the DOWNLOAD link to download the applicable file.

05) Decompress the downloaded file, which will create a similarly named folder.

You're on your own for how to run it as I'm not a Manjaro user.  I hope you have better luck than I did running the portable version.

@YDWX/uYwz6v6T

Thänks mate! I got it work on both Arch and Manjaro.  The one without mono does work but the speed is definitely effected more so than normal i'd say.

What about you? What kind of errors you getting? Maybe I can help.

I'm currently trying to get it to run on a Manjaro set up. What's the "portable" version that is mentioned by Staff?

This mono package is quite the annoyance.

Sorry this reply is a little late.

A way to use the NON-portable version of Eddie in Arch & Manjaro is to block mono from being upgraded in your /etc/pacman.conf as follows:

# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
IgnorePkg   = mono
#IgnoreGroup =

If you don't still have the older version of mono in your machine's package cache /var/cache/pacman/pkg directory, then using "Downgrade" is the easiest way I know to get hold of the version that you need.

There is a page on Downgrade in the Manjaro wiki:

You'll need to use pacman (or one of its GUI wrappers) to remove the incompatible version of mono & replace it with the older one.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04LTS a and I used the airvpn client for quite a while, until suddenly after one of the ubuntu updates, it didn't work anymore. No surprises, as I'm not the only one.

Since the client wasn't working, I have generated the config file and configured the VPN with the instructions here: https://airvpn.org/topic/11432-using-airvpn-with-ubuntu-network-manager/

It did work for me. Not as flexible as the client, but works.

Hi in2survive, The Portable version (that does NOT require Mono) of the AirVPN client works fine (for me!) on Ubuntu!
*seems to be the best solution for now :-)

EDIT: *actually the portable version just stopped working today! :-/ (Mo the 18th of April 2016)
**There now is also a Portable version that requires Mono!
I have just tested this on Ubuntu 15.10 with mono, It works!

@gallatin1988:  I'm still holding the older version of Mono under Debian Unstable.  I'll continue to do so until a newer version of the AirVPN client is released.  I don't run any other packages that rely on Mono, so holding it has been, and currently is, a non-issue for me.

Hi there. Downgrading Mono really isn't an option for me, as I need a more recent version for another program. Ubuntu is now not supporting the older Mono at all it seems. Whether I run portable or .deb version, I get this:

$ airvpn
WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.
Using default runtime: v4.0.30319
Error: No managed allocator, but we need one for AOT.
Are you using non-standard GC options?

Stacktrace:

at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
  at System.Globalization.CultureInfo..cctor () <0x00014>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) object.runtime_invoke_void (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x0005a>
  at System.Windows.Forms.InputLanguage.get_CurrentInputLanguage () <0x0001d>
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application..cctor () <0x0000b>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) object.runtime_invoke_void (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x0005a>
  at AirVPN.UI.Linux.Program.Main () <0x00013>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) object.runtime_invoke_void (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x000ba>

Native stacktrace:

airvpn() [0x44314d]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x10330) [0x7fced98a8330]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x37) [0x7fced92eec37]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x148) [0x7fced92f2028]
airvpn() [0x58d1c9]
airvpn() [0x58d3d7]
airvpn() [0x58d482]
airvpn() [0x5ad300]
airvpn() [0x5b0384]
airvpn() [0x5b708b]
airvpn() [0x45253d]