Not connected, Your IP: 18.224.59.231

Hello there,

I have a 50mbit/sec connection at home. That equals approx. 6,5 Mbyte/sec.

If I enable the proxy, I am getting not more than 1 Mbye/sec, no matter which server. 

Does somebody have a clue what the problem could be?

Regards

Hello there,

I have a 50mbit/sec connection at home. That equals approx. 6,5 Mbyte/sec.

If I enable the proxy, I am getting not more than 1 Mbye/sec, no matter which server. 

Does somebody have a clue what the problem could be?

Regards

Mine is extremely slow as well. I can't even get basic sites like yahoo.com to load. It was good on my old PC so I don't know what's going on. 

I was thinking I could change it from UDP to TCP but how do I do that? I do not see that in the preferences anywhere .

@buga

If you're running the Air client, please click on the "Modes" tab to select a TCP port, then click "Enter".

For any other client, in the Configuration Generator, please tick "Advanced Mode" to display all the possible connection ports (including TCP ones).

Since you see a huge performance difference between two computers on the same network, we suggest that you check on the "slow" computer for any packet filtering tool or security suite that might slow down an UDP flow.

Kind regards

@ Staff:

Is it even possible to run the VPN with fullspeed at 50 mbit?

Surfing with 16 mbit here is really annoying. I tried other VPNs, they are all faster than AirVPN....

Hello!

Sure it is (look at the top 10 users speed table). We take care to run servers only in datacenters with excellent connectivity (PoP to tier1 providers, redundant uplink ports). Try to change servers connection ports: if you record 16 Mbit/s with every and each server in different datacenters, it looks like a precise bandwidth cap, because the likelihood to get the same performance from several, different servers in different datacenters with different providers is remarkably low. Please test all connection ports to make a comparison.

Kind regards

@ruffnekk

Please try what suggested in the previous message. Testing the server#1 in the top 10 speeds could make no sense. Also perform more reliable speed tests with normal usage, few-seconds tests when available bandwidth is high and with the bias of a 3-rd party server, like in your case, can easily be misleading.

Kind regards

@buga

If you're running the Air client, please click on the "Modes" tab to select a TCP port, then click "Enter".

For any other client, in the Configuration Generator, please tick "Advanced Mode" to display all the possible connection ports (including TCP ones).

Since you see a huge performance difference between two computers on the same network, we suggest that you check on the "slow" computer for any packet filtering tool or security suite that might slow down an UDP flow.

Kind regards

Thanks, changing it to TCP made it a lot faster.

My old PC was Windows 7 with Commodo firewall.

The new one is Windows 8 with Windows firewall. Don't have any other special thing installed I believe. I installed Commodo on my new one but gave up after the 100th popup, lol.

necro bump.  :-/

main disadvantage for TCP is that heavy usage will result in "buffer bloat", seen as an increase in latency.  If your system is using the a TCP tunnel VPN heavily other activities will be delayed more than if it were a UDP tunnel.

However, TCP is often faster for top end speed and TCP is often the only tunnel type that can be created on public wifi systems.

It's really just trial and error to find which works best for your ISP connection to the server you'd like to use.

Hello,

considering that the relevant re-ordering problem with UDP is handled with good efficiency by OpenVPN, that OpenVPN is very resistant to UDP replay attacks and that fragmentation problem can in most cases be handled with no need of TCP, use UDP whenever possible (but see a very special case at the end of this message).

Wrapping normally weights much more than anything else in performance considerations. Just to make an example, see TCP over TCP:

http://sites.inka.de/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html

You can clearly see the advantages of UDP over TCP (instead of TCP over TCP).

We have also some more considerations in the FAQ section.

Leaving apart considerations on performance, however, you should also take into account this (see in particular the OpenVPN manual quoted excerpt):

https://airvpn.org/topic/3773-pls-help-strange-logs/?do=findComment&comment=3784

Therefore, in the very particular case for which you need very high security on an UDP or non-IP flow between your node and the VPN server we would say that you had better wrap it into TCP, not UDP (i.e. connect to the VPN in TCP).

Kind regards