Not connected, Your IP: 3.128.199.210
Sign in to follow this  
0fficer

slow DNS resolving

Hi,

I use the standard DNS 10.4.0.1. but it gives me troubles when in web development.

The problem is that I run a certain amount of websites which I maintain. When I change DNS settings on those websites, within a few minutes I can use those settings when running on my ISP's DNS servers. When i change to the AirVPN DNS, it sometimes takes more than a day to see those changes.

Is there a possibility to speed up that process? How often do you retrieve new DNS information?

To be honest, it is not always like that, sometimes you do the change within the hour, but it is always slower than my ISP's one.

Regards,

0fficer

As the Staff member points out, it might have to do with the TTL (Time To Live) on your DNS records.

Is the DNS server you are making changes to hosted by your ISP? If so, the DNS will always update first on your ISP's DNS resolver. But if you aren't using your ISP's DNS resolver (like when you are VPN connected) the DNS changes won't propagate to other DNS servers fast enough unless you change the TTL.

You need to set the TTL on your DNS records lower (default is 24 hours) if you want the changes to apply faster. A TTL of 300 (5 min) is the lowest value you can set.