Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.219.217
Sign in to follow this  
frdsh2

Using AirVPN for certain programs only.

Hello, let me just start off by saying that I am not extremely good with computers(especially when it comes to this), so I would very much appreciate if the answer(if there is one) could be noob friendly .

I've just started using AirVPN. Downloading and running the program was simple enough, just log in and select a server. But now everything on my computer is using this new IP. I wonder if there is a way that it could be used only by for instance "uTorrent" and "Firefox"?. Because I don't need it for games, Steam, Skype etc.

Hello, let me just start off by saying that I am not extremely good with computers(especially when it comes to this), so I would very much appreciate if the answer(if there is one) could be noob friendly :).

I've just started using AirVPN. Downloading and running the program was simple enough, just log in and select a server. But now everything on my computer is using this new IP. I wonder if there is a way that it could be used only by for instance "uTorrent" and "Firefox"?. Because I don't need it for games, Steam, Skype etc.

Hello!

You can bind the applications that you do NOT want to be tunneled to your physical network adapter with ForceBindIP:

http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/

Please see also here for potential problems with Windows 7/8 64 bit:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=6621&limit=6&limitstart=12&Itemid=142#9103

Kind regards

Is it possible in any way to create an SSH tunnel through putty that allows you to set only specific applications proxy server to go through that tunnel? This would seem like a much more elegant and supported option.

Hello!

You can bind the applications that you do NOT want to be tunneled to your physical network adapter with ForceBindIP:

http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/

Please see also here for potential problems with Windows 7/8 64 bit:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=6621&limit=6&limitstart=12&Itemid=142#9103

Kind regards

Is there a similar app for linux?

Is it possible in any way to create an SSH tunnel through putty that allows you to set only specific applications proxy server to go through that tunnel? This would seem like a much more elegant and supported option.

Did you mention putty because you are using a SSH tunnel to connect to Airvpn or do you need a SOCKS server? You can google or wiki SOCKS and find many servers for windows and linux. If you need a HTTP server there is Polipo and Privoxy and many more.

I am wondering if there are any new developments on how to use AirVPN for everything except certain applications you do not want to go through the tunnel (for example, Skype to get the better call quality of not passing Skype thru a VPN). It looks like that ForceBind application is not being updated and does not always work properly.

I currently run AirVPN on my tomato router and everything goes thru the tunnel, which is exactly how I want it. But I would like to be able to specify certain applications to not go thru the tunnel, such as Skype and maybe a browser if I just want the speed over the privacy & security.

Had anyone come up with an easy way of doing this?

I am also interested in a way to do this due to the disturbing discussions of a data retention policy taking place in my country.

My interest lies in having all my traffic, except for Steam, to go through the vpn. I do not want to run the risk of being banned for using a VPN with Steam, as apparently they don't allow the use of VPNs.

Hello, let me just start off by saying that I am not extremely good with computers(especially when it comes to this), so I would very much appreciate if the answer(if there is one) could be noob friendly .

Here id how I imperfectly handle it (and why being able to have 2-3 airvpn sessions is a killer feature) at the moment.

Main box\host - We'll call it "Sugar"

+ Created small VM - "Daddy" that runs on Sugar on the localnet Installed [insert various proxy\Sproxy apps here] & AirVPN client, also allow routing\sharing on the tap nic.

Sugar's Normal operation - steam,skype,etc things I want on my isp's ip... I don't make an AirVpn connection at all on Sugar.

If I want something vpn'd on Sugar like FF\IE\Az\Vuze\etc or anything else that has proxy settings or interface binding settings I'll set those to point to the properly configured port on Daddy's ip ...who will in return use the vpn. 

Now if something comes up where there are no proxy settings, and temporarly routing all traffic (flipping my DGW) through Daddy doesn't cut it for some reason, then I'll just fire up AirVPN directly on Sugar (make a second session) do what I gotta do and disconnect.

Works for me 95% of the time, but then again I have the 2gb of ram to spare to keep the vm running all the time and it's used for other purposes as well, and while no expert I'm definately not the average consumer but it's really not hard for someone to setup something similar.

Various ways one can go about skinning this cat, but for those like nolehce who make the AirVpn connection directly on their router there really is no good option there from a "per-app" perspective unless what you don't want to route over the tunnel is confined to certain netblock(s), like say your corp's net, in those cases you can usually set a static route to not trigger or foward said traffic out the Air tunnel, but out the DGW, or probably in that example the tunnel to your corp - then just pray said corp and air aren't using the same private addressing space. But I digress..  

/2cents