Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.76.7
Sign in to follow this  
cfinley

[SOLVED] Constant VPN Connection Drops

This seems to be a new development:

I connect to a VPN (TCP 53) no problem but as soon as I try to access a web address (google.com for instance) the connection drops and then attempts to reconnect - usually successfully, but sometimes not and i get an error message: "Authentication failed. The credentials (passphrase or username/password) were not accepted by the remote VPN server."

This is happening constantly and has rendered AirVPN unusable for me as I'm sure there must be leaks during the disconnection/reconnection.

Please advise.

This seems to be a new development:

I connect to a VPN (TCP 53) no problem but as soon as I try to access a web address (google.com for instance) the connection drops and then attempts to reconnect - usually successfully, but sometimes not and i get an error message: "Authentication failed. The credentials (passphrase or username/password) were not accepted by the remote VPN server."

This is happening constantly and has rendered AirVPN unusable for me as I'm sure there must be leaks during the disconnection/reconnection.

Please advise.

Hello!

Can you please tell us your OS and the client you're running to connect to a VPN server? Can you please make sure that no program (especially antivirus, packet filtering programs/firewall) is interfering with OpenVPN?

Kind regards

I am running Mac OS X 10.7.5

I have been using Little Snitch which I had disabled and was still having connection drops so I had discounted that as the problem but, given your response, I tried uninstalling Little Snitch at which point my problem has been resolved.

I am left with two questions:

1. What is the simple (for noobs) method to prevent leaks in OS X Lion. I have looked at the "Prevent leaks" threads and am not sure if the "...&pf" or "...&ipfw" method applies to my case (and a lot of it is beyond my level of expertise)?

2. Is Little Snitch compatible with AirVPN and, if so, what are the setup requirements?

Kind regards

I am running Mac OS X 10.7.5

I have been using Little Snitch which I had disabled and was still having connection drops so I had discounted that as the problem but, given your response, I tried uninstalling Little Snitch at which point my problem has been resolved.

I am left with two questions:

1. What is the simple (for noobs) method to prevent leaks in OS X Lion. I have looked at the "Prevent leaks" threads and am not sure if the "...&pf" or "...&ipfw" method applies to my case (and a lot of it is beyond my level of expertise)?

Hello!

You can either pick pf or ipfw. However ipfw is deprecated by Apple and pf is a more modern and powerful packet filtering tool, so you might probably prefer to go with pf. In the guide, thanks to the courtesy of jessez, you can find example scripts which are almost ready-to-use and require only minor modifications.

2. Is Little Snitch compatible with AirVPN and, if so, what are the setup requirements?

Yes, it's compatible. It must not interfere with OpenVPN and with your OpenVPN wrapper (Tunnelblick, Viscosity...).

Kind regards

Is there anyone out there that has Little Snitch working with AirVPN on OS X Lion that would be willing to share their setup?

I have allowed everything AirVPN related that I can see but I'm still getting constant disconnections and reconnections while surfing, so obviously I'm missing something.

Kind regards

Is there anyone out there that has Little Snitch working with AirVPN on OS X Lion that would be willing to share their setup?

I have allowed everything AirVPN related that I can see but I'm still getting constant disconnections and reconnections while surfing, so obviously I'm missing something.

Kind regards

Hello!

Do you notice any difference if you disable LittleSnitch completely?

Kind regards

At the moment I have it completely uninstalled, as that was the only way I could use AirVPN without constant disconnections and reconnections.

I was hoping to be able to use it again if someone was able (and willing) to guide me in the setup - keeping in mind that most of the instructions that I have read on these forums goes completely over my head!

Cheers

At the moment I have it completely uninstalled, as that was the only way I could use AirVPN without constant disconnections and reconnections.

Hello!

Glad to know that you found that LittleSnitch was the cause of the problems. Actually we do not provide any guide for LittleSnitch, you just need to authorize OpenVPN and any wrapper (if any) you use (for example Tunnelblick or Viscosity) to fully connect to the Internet.

Kind regards