Not connected, Your IP: 3.147.80.94
Sign in to follow this  
Cheebamaster

A couple noobie questions

I only understand the basics of security. I have a router that I'm running a direct line through to my computer, do I need to do anything additional? Says I'm connected and shows different IP. Also, if I want to use bittorrent do I need to do anything special? What I've been doing is connecting to airvpn when downloading a file/when the client is open. I would say I'm connected 50% of the time to the vpn. Also, do I need to clear all cookies and what not when I'm connected to the vpn? Sometimes i'll be logged into a yahoo account or have visited facebook when I'm on the vpn.

Thanks, and please try to explain in a noob friendly way!

I only understand the basics of security. I have a router that I'm running a direct line through to my computer, do I need to do anything additional? Says I'm connected and shows different IP. Also, if I want to use bittorrent do I need to do anything special? What I've been doing is connecting to airvpn when downloading a file/when the client is open. I would say I'm connected 50% of the time to the vpn. Also, do I need to clear all cookies and what not when I'm connected to the vpn? Sometimes i'll be logged into a yahoo account or have visited facebook when I'm on the vpn.

Thanks, and please try to explain in a noob friendly way!

Hello!

1) If you remotely forward ports, make sure that those same ports are closed on your router. Nothing else is required there.

2) If you use a NAT-punching capable torrent client (such as uTorrent) you don't need anything, except making sure (this is very important) that you launch the torrent client after the connection to the VPN is established, never before. If you use a torrent client unable to perform NAT punching please see https://airvpn.org/faq#p2p Remote port forwarding for torrenting may improve performance significantly and allows initial seeding, if you do that.

3) Clearing cookies is always a good practice. Another good practice would be not to mix identities to avoid correlations, i.e. do not connect to Facebook, Yahoo, Google and any other web site where your account is linked to your real identity while you're behind the VPN.

A final recommendation, please read our FAQ and How-To guides clearly displayed on the forum, all your questions were already answered there. Do not hesitate to use the search function in the forum which will let you find several topics where your arguments have been discussed dozens of times. Enjoy our service! :)

Kind regards