Not connected, Your IP: 3.147.44.89
Sign in to follow this  
retiredpilot

Comodo AND Privatefiirewall??

I am a new (few days only) member of this service. In the coming days I am going to "lock down" my computer with Comodo as per the various threads here. Dns leaks, VPN drop, etc...... I am currently using Comodo and it runs slick but my connection/computer is leaking since I haven't set the Comodo rules yet. I'll be getting to it shortly so expect some questions as I walk through this. BTW -- the sticky guides are not displaying Comodo 6 - the current version. That means the snapshots are different but hopefully I'll get through them. We'll see.

I haven't had the Airvpn system drop off the radar yet but if for some reason their system goes down I will need a way to get out for safe basic cruising around the net. I considered just installing a simple firewall like Privatefirewall along with Comodo.

Obviously I can only run ONE firewall at a time.

I would remove PF from the start menu (msconfig) and run ONLY Comodo during normal boot. However if the Air system goes out I could EXIT comodo and launch PF for some basic cruising around. My bank and such is https anyway.

Would this be an acceptable solution? What do you guys do for those rare times the Air system is unavailable? I wish Comodo had profiles like some of the firewalls I have used. e.g. - One NORMAL and another named BACKUP (any name is fine) so that I could quickly switches between rule sets. I don't see how to do it. Closing Comodo down and launching PF seems like the easiest way.

Any help or suggestions?

Hello!

Yes, that would be a perfectly acceptable solution. You could also easily switch between different Comodo coinfigurations (see "Manage my configurations" firewall window which allows you to export and import configurations - in Comodo Internet Security Premium free version it is available in the "More" tab of the general control window which opens up when you double-click the Comodo dock icon).

Kind regards

This is an FYI post. In theory my strategy should have worked well. I am on a 64 bit Vista system and frankly PF and Comodo don't play well together on my system. After installing PF and configuring as mentioned above I thought I could switch back and forth as needed (with a system disk re-boot when I did the switch). My system was always bogging down in this new configuration. I deleted PF and went back to Comodo only. It runs slick as can be and everything is snappy, especially page loads. That is far better than having an un-needed backup for the rare times AIR might go down. I have several other computers on my network so I'll simply go to one of them for "family" surfing if AIR is down.

I have been involved in networking for a long time and sometimes software products just don't play well. Again, an fyi