Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.16.116
Sign in to follow this  
rockingny85

AirVPN Speed

Ok so i was lucky enough to get a free trial, so i tested the servers out for the Virginia all three and i was getting 4-6 download. I signed off and let my buddy try bc he is interested in the service as well. He was getting 17-18 download, mind you we only live 5 miles away so it's not distance. He has a docsis 3.0 modem and i have docsis 2.0 modem, i have a pretty old router linksys wrt54gs, he has Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR4500. My ques is since this stuff is foreigh to me, is it my router, my modem or a combination of both? I know you have way more knowledge about this stuff, so that's why i ask. Btw great service, even though i am getting 6 download everything feels fluid and not laggy at all. I appreciate your input, thanks

I'll take a shot. I don't know the speeds you pay for or get regularly. Having said that I would upgrade both your modem and router. Docsis 3.0 allows bonding to 8 channels down and 4 Up where the Docsis 2.0 only allows for 4D 2U. That is a big difference whe it comes to signal stability and speed issues on crowded networks. Routers wear out. If a consumer router is more than 2 years old ( I haven't used linksys wrt54gs) it should be replaced (my opinion).

Is this the cause of the difference between you and your friend? Maybe. There are many factors such as node load, wiring, other PCs on the same network.

Testing/eliminating each issue is cumbersome but will yield the best results for you.

Not much help but hope I have pointed you in the right direction.

Have a great day

Ok so i was lucky enough to get a free trial, so i tested the servers out for the Virginia all three and i was getting 4-6 download. I signed off and let my buddy try bc he is interested in the service as well. He was getting 17-18 download, mind you we only live 5 miles away so it's not distance. He has a docsis 3.0 modem and i have docsis 2.0 modem, i have a pretty old router linksys wrt54gs, he has Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR4500. My ques is since this stuff is foreigh to me, is it my router, my modem or a combination of both? I know you have way more knowledge about this stuff, so that's why i ask. Btw great service, even though i am getting 6 download everything feels fluid and not laggy at all. I appreciate your input, thanks :)

Hello!

Before you proceed with complex tests, you could (if possible) test your friend's router on your line so that you can immediately detect if the performance difference is due to your router or not. Even if you both have the same ISP, not necessarily the problem lies in your hardware, for example there could be a significant difference in the conditions of your last mile.

Kind regards

Admin is right. I suspect physical layer issues in the last mile, from your local fiber node to your home. Ingress noise has always been a problem for coaxial cable-based networks and always will be. Speeds in a particular apartment building can vary considerably if there is a source of noise or interference that the operator's techs can't ferret out.

The only way to be sure is to swap out your modem and router for your friend's equipment, then see if anything changes. I suspect it won't at all, or if it does it won't be very substantial. If that's the case, you need to get on the phone to your cable operator ASAP and ask them to check your carrier-to-noise ratio and the level of interference on your line. Then fix your issues if they see they're out of whack. You might also want to ask your neighbors if they're having the same problem. That'll give you more leverage when dealing with your cable operator.

Hello!

Before you proceed with complex tests, you could (if possible) test your friend's router on your line so that you can immediately detect if the performance difference is due to your router or not. Even if you both have the same ISP, not necessarily the problem lies in your hardware, for example there could be a significant difference in the conditions of your last mile.

Kind regards

This too :-)

Thanks guys appreciate all the help. I spoke to my router company and they said while the vpn is on do a speed test with a phone/tablet and see if the download speeds go down. Something about how the vpn may be controlling bandwidth? then they said after do a speed test with my computer plugged into the modem with the vpn on. I'm going over my friend's house tonight and I will test the speeds the speeds with my laptop, and see if I get the same results as him. I have a feeling it's my router Bc my router is at least 5 years old, Thank you again guys I appreciate all the help.

Thanks guys appreciate all the help. I spoke to my router company and they said while the vpn is on do a speed test with a phone/tablet and see if the download speeds go down. Something about how the vpn may be controlling bandwidth? then they said after do a speed test with my computer plugged into the modem with the vpn on. I'm going over my friend's house tonight and I will test the speeds the speeds with my laptop, and see if I get the same results as him. I have a feeling it's my router Bc my router is at least 5 years old, Thank you again guys I appreciate all the help.

Hello!

Well, good recommendation, just in case the problem lies in your computer. Network managers from third parties have been reported to cause a severe performance hit on the TUN/TAP adapter (unknown reasons). One of these was an Asus network manager, installed by default on some Asus laptops, which replaced the Windows network manager (assuming you're running Windows, if not please ignore this post). Once uninstalled, VPN performance had a great boost.

Kind regards

If you do find that it is the router and you decide to upgrade, may I suggest a PC based x86 router running DD-WRT (or other such firmware).

I have almost maxed out my connection now that I moved to x86 router.

There are numerous threads on here and other sites on the benefits.

I like the service AirVPN gives and the helpful forum members as well.

hey guys i really need your help here....I really don't understand this....So i just went over my friends house who got the fast speed with the vpn. This is really strange, when i connected to his network and ran the vpn, i got the same speed at my house which was 2/1.30 and he got 17/2/4. So it looks like it's my computer is there anyway to fix this? i have an hp laptop, maybe it's the tap driver? I really don't understand this, but maybe you guys do...Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.