Not connected, Your IP: 3.136.22.50
Sign in to follow this  
ladyleather

Routing ALL Traffic through AirVPN

Hello! I just got Air about 5 days ago. It, and OpenVPN, installed fine and everything seemed hunky-dory. I'm having a bit of an issue however... it doesn't seem that all my traffic is going through the VPN. In particular, I play an MMO, but while playing it the D/U counter on the AirVPN program thing barely ticks over. I was expecting to see some 10kbs-100kbs spikes, but I was ticking at 0-1. Is there a way to tell windows to route all my data traffic through the VPN? When it's active?

I'm on an i7 with 4gb of Ram running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 (I don't like updating Windows7 past 1. It does horrible things to my system.)

Thanks all!

ETA: I also run Norton 360 Premier Edition as both virus protection and firewall.

Hello! I just got Air about 5 days ago. It, and OpenVPN, installed fine and everything seemed hunky-dory. I'm having a bit of an issue however... it doesn't seem that all my traffic is going through the VPN. In particular, I play an MMO, but while playing it the D/U counter on the AirVPN program thing barely ticks over. I was expecting to see some 10kbs-100kbs spikes, but I was ticking at 0-1. Is there a way to tell windows to route all my data traffic through the VPN? When it's active?

I'm on an i7 with 4gb of Ram running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 (I don't like updating Windows7 past 1. It does horrible things to my system.)

Thanks all!

Hello!

Thank you for your subscription!

The pushed routing table and default gateway by our OpenVPN servers force all the client traffic to be tunneled. The only way to escape this behavior are programs that take control of the system with administrator (root) privileges and bind to the "wrong" interface.

Does your MMO game client pretends to run with high privileges?

You can check the traffic flowing in your machine with programs like Wireshark (very powerful) or the network activity monitor (a limited tool, but good for your purpose) of the Comodo firewall.

If you find that your game client takes control of your system and overrides your system routing table you might try to force it to bind to the TUN adapter (in Windows TAP-Win32 Adapter V9...) with this code/DLL injector:

http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip

In general, programs which behave in that way should be considered near to malware (overriding a system routing table without the system owner explicit authorization may be a very dangerous operation in a lot of countries and anyway it is an unacceptable violation of the system security) and customers of such programs, in our opinion, should contact the software house and pretend that the problem is solved.

Kind regards

Hello! Thank you for replying so promptly!

While the MMO client does ask to be "run as administrator" I'm not sure if Windows grants it root privileges. I shall contact the game developers and clarify this issue. I shall also investigate this matter more cdiligently on my end. Thank you very much!