Not connected, Your IP: 3.129.70.157
Sign in to follow this  
Stack of computer parts

ANSWERED eddie-gui: Is there a way to force "Waiting for latency tests" to timeout sooner?

Im using eddie-gui on linux but I have had this happen with Windows. Basically when I start a new connection eddie will go through all the available servers and get stuck on the last 1-7 servers waiting for a latency test. Then I get impatient and just hit cancel, switch to the servers tab, and just pick one of the servers that has responded to a latency test.

I have also just left eddie running for hours just to see if it would eventually finish, sometimes it does finish all tests, other times it will just sit there for hours waiting for a response.

Is there anything I can add to the openvpn directives to tell eddie to just timeout after 10 seconds if some servers dont finish their latency test in a timely manner? I skimmed the manpage but none of the options seemed to do this.

@Stack of computer parts

Hello!

You can define a white list of servers, so that Eddie will consider only servers in the white list. You may also consider to disable latency tests when you have determined the best servers for your node.

Kind regards

This doesn't exactly work. the non responsive servers are random so white listing isn't efficient.
Also I roam a lot and change network adapters or wake from sleep/reboot so the delay kind of slows things down. Its not life threatening, just annoying. Latency checking helps with wwan NICs as I don't always have a good signal to the base station.

Not to mention recently, and coincidently timed with geopolitical events, many servers I would use are frequently overloaded now.

Being able to set a shorter timeout for latency testing/picking a server would be a nice addition. There is no need to wait more than 10-20 seconds for a response if you already have several usable servers.

8 minutes ago, Stack of computer parts said:

This doesn't exactly work. the non responsive servers are random so white listing isn't efficient. [...]
Being able to set a shorter timeout for latency testing/picking a server would be a nice addition. There is no need to wait more than 10-20 seconds for a response if you already have several usable servers.

Hello!

The latency tests have been improved remarkably in Eddie 2.24, please feel free to test it and report back. Since Eddie 2.24 is in public beta testing, now it's a good time to report any anomaly you find, if you haven't already done so. Eddie 2.21.x is also affected by a bug which may render the latency tests slow or even stuck for a race condition. This bug is fixed in later versions.

Kind regards