Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.178.240
Sign in to follow this  
Aeto

ANSWERED More sessions than I started

Hello,
I wanted to set up the VPN service with my NAS over gluetun with wireguard.
I've chosen one specific server over the config generator, but when I start the service over my NAS, making sure everything is typed in correctly, I get 2-5 sessions with servers that I didn't chose.
These sessions only last for a few seconds, only transferring 90-200 Byte range, and then disappear after 3-4 minutes from the list again. The server I chose never appears, which is odd.
When I stop the service on my NAS no more connections come in.
At this point I am certain that this isn't an issue on my end, and I wonder if this is also the reason I previously wasn't able to download with a config I made, which is why I reconfigured to find this odd behavior.

Help would be nice.

PS: here is a screenshot of the connections while the time of writing.
I set up a connection with Kitalpha (Switzerland) in the config generator.
image.thumb.png.85f2f09365467df88fd22c0a724993cb.png

10 hours ago, Aeto said:

I get 2-5 sessions with servers that I didn't chose. ... At this point I am certain that this isn't an issue on my end

Hello!

Assuming that your NAS is not omniscient, it must have found the entry-IP addresses of Kajam and Crater in some configuration file, please check. However, another option is that someone else is using your account fraudulently, although from your description that's very unlikely as the ghost connections appear whenever your NAS tries to connect. Please go ahead, change your AirVPN account password AND renew all of your keys, just in case.

Kind regards

1 hour ago, Staff said:

Hello!

Assuming that your NAS is not omniscient, it must have found the entry-IP addresses of Kajam and Crater in some configuration file, please check. However, another option is that someone else is using your account fraudulently, although from your description that's very unlikely as the ghost connections appear whenever your NAS tries to connect. Please go ahead, change your AirVPN account password AND renew all of your keys, just in case.

Kind regards

How do I remove keys?

5 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

Kind regards

I have dedicated another four hours to resolving this issue. Initially, I took the precautionary steps of changing my password and removing the associated keys and devices. However, the issue persists as described from the outset.

It's possible either I'm missing a crucial step, despite double-checking the Gluetun wiki, or there might be a bug in your configuration generator. So, I'm reaching out for your assistance. Spending a significant portion of my day on this without seeing any progress is understandably frustrating.

Firstly, I have attached a screenshot of the configuration obtained from your generator for the Wireguard-Server "Xuange."
1017267041_wireguardscreenshot1.thumb.png.05e4a0029129d35bade329ebc9c37ac4.png
The extra data (highlighted by the orange line) includes the environment variables outlined in the Gluetun wiki, found here: https://github.com/qdm12/gluetun-wiki/blob/main/setup/providers/airvpn.md .

Here, I have provided screenshots of the Kubernetes application intended for configuration within TrueNAS.
1512178793_wireguardscreenshot3.thumb.png.dea9967bab882511de1f44d8cdb4cffa.png783576265_wireguardscreenshot4.thumb.png.edb1b4ba93fc86441a0b95fc594470c8.png2085971105_wireguardscreenshot5.png.8046fd14a04e480e092f7db0d2b7547c.png
If any of these configurations seem off, I'm open to your feedback. However, I'm fairly confident they're correct. To be sure, I've validated both the IP addresses obtained from the [Interface] Address and the [Peer] Endpoint.

I did find it odd that the IP address from your configuration generator differs from the one specified in the Gluetun wiki for the server "Xuange" https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qdm12/gluetun/master/internal/storage/servers.json
331068980_wireguardscreenshot8.thumb.png.c7a641ab0ff6983faae2b8a87dd2dd07.png
Also, receiving the same Private, Public, and Pre-Shared keys consistently from your generator raises some suspicions, as far as I understand, that's not supposed to happen. This leads me to suspect that the root of the issue lies within the configuration generated by the tool.

These are some more screenshots showing that I am getting multiple connections. These also only occur while the service is running on my NAS, which is evidence against some malicious actor having access to my account or keyes.
262619786_wireguardscreenshot7.thumb.png.29986d4a928af44ae6c51cfb0b723ca3.png1941625172_wireguardscreenshot9.thumb.png.69329a880f7db62a2a8847c989ac5622.png45673702_wireguardscreenshot10.thumb.png.8f55cbc369a086ee2e78330859dadb73.png

If this issue is stemming from a fault or anomaly within my account, I'm open to a complete reset of the settings, including a new password or generation link via email. I'm eager to resolve this matter swiftly, as I've already spent too much time on it, much to the annoyance of my partner.

Looking forward to a quick resolution.

Best regards,

Aeto

1 hour ago, Aeto said:

Also, receiving the same Private, Public, and Pre-Shared keys consistently from your generator raises some suspicions

Hello!

We can confirm that the Configuration Generator works just fine as usual.

Please select the proper key you desire on the CG page otherwise the CG will default to the first one and then remember to set it in the Gluetun configuration. The configuration generated by our CG is also consistent on what you wish, as it contains only the Xuange IP address. The IP addresses considered by Gluetun are not taken from the generated configuration file, but from the servers addresses included in the servers.json file, as far as we can see from Gluetun's documentation. We also see (again from the documentation) that you need to set the proper variables if you want to force Gluetun to connect only to specific areas or servers:
  • SERVER_COUNTRIES: Comma separated list of countries
  • SERVER_REGIONS: Comma separated list of regions
  • SERVER_CITIES: Comma separated list of cities
  • SERVER_NAMES: Comma separated list of server names
  • SERVER_HOSTNAMES: Comma separated list of server hostnames
See also https://github.com/qdm12/gluetun-wiki/blob/main/setup/providers/airvpn.md

Please remember that Gluetun is not an AirVPN software, therefore if our explanation is not enough you could get better answers from Gluetun developer.

Kind regards

17 minutes ago, Staff said:

Hello!

We can confirm that the Configuration Generator works just fine as usual.

Please select the proper key you desire on the CG page otherwise the CG will default to the first one and then remember to set it in the Gluetun configuration. The configuration generated by our CG is also consistent on what you wish, as it contains only the Xuange IP address. The IP addresses considered by Gluetun are not taken from the generated configuration file, but from the servers addresses included in the servers.json file, as far as we can see from Gluetun's documentation. We also see (again from the documentation) that you need to set the proper variables if you want to force Gluetun to connect only to specific areas or servers:
  • SERVER_COUNTRIES: Comma separated list of countries
  • SERVER_REGIONS: Comma separated list of regions
  • SERVER_CITIES: Comma separated list of cities
  • SERVER_NAMES: Comma separated list of server names
  • SERVER_HOSTNAMES: Comma separated list of server hostnames
See also https://github.com/qdm12/gluetun-wiki/blob/main/setup/providers/airvpn.md

Please remember that Gluetun is not an AirVPN software, therefore if our explanation is not enough you could get better answers from Gluetun developer.

Kind regards

Is it possible for you to delete my account keys etc. for me?
Also, which variable is SERVER_HOSTNAMES?

5 minutes ago, Aeto said:
22 minutes ago, Staff said:

Is it possible for you to delete my account keys etc. for me?

Hello!

In theory AirVPN management can do it, yes. Please note that in this moment you have only one key, if it gets deleted you will be cut out from the VPN until you create a new key. We would recommend that you manage your keys by yourself:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/26209-how-to-manage-client-certificatekey-pairs/

For any further support on the matter (on top of the community support here) please do not hesitate to open a ticket.

Kind regards

Where is the difference between SERVER_HOSTNAMES and SERVER_NAMES?
I assume SERVER_NAMES would be Xuange?
What is SERVER_HOSTNAME?

4 minutes ago, Aeto said:

Where is the difference between SERVER_HOSTNAMES and SERVER_NAMES?
I assume SERVER_NAMES would be Xuange?
What is SERVER_HOSTNAME?

Hello!

From the documentation we think that SERVER_HOSTNAMES variable must contain hostnames (we infer therefore the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Names) we use), while SERVER_NAMES must contain the internal AirVPN names (for example Xuange) that you find in the mentioned JSON file as well as in the servers monitor: https://airvpn.org/status

We also think that you need to valorize only one variable between the mentioned, optional ones, in order to avoid ambiguity or conflicts about the end point(s) to connect to.

Kind regards